+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weapon question

Soulwalker

Default Weapon question

So with the new PVP weaps out, would it be better to slap a hit rune on it and use them over HK weaps? Do melee weap DPS affect range dps? If I had dual molten brands, would it be better to use dual PVP R50 daggers at the lost of 60ish ap?

Only melee builds benefit from weapon dps, and even then it's only your mainhand that effects damage. Your offhand counts towards auto attacks and certain bladedancer abilities, but since no one uses bladedancer I wouldn't worry about it.

The way to go is:
    Range - melee weapons are stat sticks only and go for the highest ap
    Melee - go for highest weapon dps (as long as the stats aren't horrible like a tank weapon) in your mainhand, in your offhand go for whatever will give you the highest ap.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Champion

In PvP the r50 weapons are better than HK weapons both for main slot and stat sticks, hit runes or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Only melee builds benefit from weapon dps
    What?
    Last edited by Zyzyx; 07-03-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Only melee builds benefit from weapon dps
    Which is why I still use the starter bow. ;)
    Ashnon - 60 Rogue

Ascendant

100% use the PVP weapons if you do not have weapons with higher DPS, assuming you can hit the targets in the tier of content you are playing. Essentially, if you don't have ID weapons, you should be using the PVP weapons because they are by far the easiest to get and also are guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    What?
    Only melee builds benefit from the weapon dps of your main hand and offhand weapons.

Ascendant

Only melee builds benefit from the weapon dps of your main hand and offhand weapons.
    The why do whetstones increase marksman DPS?
    Last edited by Sariina; 07-03-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Sariina View Post
    Whetstones give an ap increase rather than a melee dps increase if I understand correctly.

Ascendant

Not according to their tool tip they don't.

Weapon question-finewhetstone.jpg

They just do, there isn't a logical explanation. My thinking is they realized that there isn't a good consumable for ranged rogue builds and made whetstones partially effect the ranged weapon's weapon dps. If I remember correctly someone did the math and found you get the full benefit of the whetstone from your mainhand and a half increase from your offhand. We're better off this way too, if there was a ranged weapon consumable rogues would need twice the amount of consumables as other classes if you switch between melee and range. It would just be something else for people to ***** about.

It's easy enough to calculate. Find the ap coefficient for a build and then unequip your mainhand weapon. The only difference in damage of your attacks (with no whetstones) is from the ap loss. Really everyone questioning it should just go test it yourself on a dummy. It took me a whole 2 minutes to figure it out myself, going back and forth on the forums about it is a waste of time if you're not going to believe what's written anyways.
    Last edited by Mayi; 07-03-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Soulwalker

100% use the PVP weapons if you do not have weapons with higher DPS, assuming you can hit the targets in the tier of content you are playing. Essentially, if you don't have ID weapons, you should be using the PVP weapons because they are by far the easiest to get and also are guaranteed.
    I disagree, as melee weapon DPS only matters as mainhand DPS for melee builds, like Mayi explained. While the new PvP weapons certainly aren't bad, some PvE weapons of lower tier offer better stats (namely AP) and should therefore be used (in PvE).

Utilizing the OP's example of Molten Brands, I would go with the following:
    Range spec: dual Molten Brands,
    Melee spec: Molten Brand offhand, Warrior Rank 50 sword mainhand (it offers better stats than the rogue's dagger)
    PvP spec/gear: dual Warrior Rank 50 swords (Duh!)
    Last edited by Ascanius; 07-03-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Oh ok. I just tested the difference between my ID bow and my HK relic gun and it seems like mm attacks are affected by raged weapon dps.

I didn't notice thread was only about melee weapons.
    Last edited by Zyzyx; 07-03-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Champion

i know sab is weird but 2x lightning glyphs seem to produce larger numbers with my bombs than whetstones on my daggers. (just comparing damage numbers of the same skills before.after not rotations)
    Shieldy 60 Warrior
    Gloredhel 60 Mage

Ascendant

I actually tested this with my Ashen Shank over my Midnight's Edge and it looks like it's true that melee weapons are just stat sticks and weapons DPS doesn't have any effect at all. So the whetstones are just another example of tool tips that are completely wrong and/or useless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast