+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about Bloodstalker build(s)

Telaran

Default Question about Bloodstalker build(s)

My gear: http://rift.magelo.com/en/profile/Wolfsbane/Rasix

Unbuffed AP/Crit : 1449/1022

Spec from the Rogue Bible

I used to run with This which only moves a few points around.

With the modified spec I was getting 4kish on Murdantix, and maybe 4.1-4.2 on Vlad. I knew they could/should be higher, at least judging from the posts here. So I swapped to the spec from the rogue bible as I hadn't really kept up to date and checked the boards in a while. During that time, I also dropped from 5 CP final blows to 3 cp, as suggested. We also moved servers that week from Silkweb to Wolfsbane.

I ended up only pulling 3.3-3.7 at best on Ituziel, which I chalked up to us moving from Silkweb (no lag) to Wolfsbane (occasional, but nasty ability lag)

On a whim last night I swapped back to my old spec, but maintained final blow at 3-4 CP and immediately started hitting 4k+ on ituziel.

Now with that background, my question:

Is this difference purely an AP issue? Debuff issue from the raid? I trust the hivemind, and refuse to think that the changes I use are better than what the community came up with. So I'm sort of at a loss. I know my crit is a little low, but I don't see that making up that large of a difference.

Thoughts/Suggestions?
    Last edited by RasixTinypants; 06-23-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Telaran

So, no one has any idea or brilliant insight as to why I would be getting significantly better parses with 36/20/10 over 32/20/14 ? dropping penetrating for increased poison damage?

Ascendant

There are many factors for BS builds, but as far as I know, most of the BS build tweaks and point shifts are fairly close to each other in terms of dps. I still use the 32/20/14 with more or less the same point distribution. I generally do 5 CP Final Blows, sometimes 4 CP Final Blow if I know Puncture will be up within ~1 sec or so as I would like to minimize CP waste and maintain Puncture uptime as well.

I have tried a 36/20/10 spec before as well, and I found that the rest of my hits (other than Final Blow) were much less due to the lack of armor piercing. I'm not so sure the poison damage (also rng based proc damage) gains outweigh gaining a damage boost on pretty much all of your attacks due to the armor piercing.

Honestly, you will need to check your parses. The spec can be a little "rng-ish" sometimes especially with short fights, get a few non-crit Final Blow and watch your dps tank. The other thing is to check your buffs/debuffs from your bard/archon as these two will have a very big impact on how you do (as well as your raid). For me, the performance of my support affects my numbers every week, both in good and bad ways.
    Last edited by Adastra; 06-26-2012 at 05:53 AM.
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

It looks like you use different CP targets for final blow for each run that you are comparing, that may be a bigger factor than the build. You're also comparing different bosses that may have slightly different armor stats or other factors that are changing your DPS.
    Dummy Foundry rocks. CQ blows. Energy is meh. MORE ROLE SLOTS! Burma shave.

Telaran

I made it seem that way, sorry.

It's not different targets each time. I'm comparing murd to murd, ituzuiel to ituziel, even though when I wrote that I didn't make that very clear.

I'll test both again this week on Ituziel, but it's been consistent across all targets. ~400 increase with 36 *** over 32 and penetrating.

And yes - our debuffing is questionable at times, so that could be part of it.

Telaran

Random thought/question - At one point in time, Sabo dots were counting as poison even though they are physical damage. Is that possibly the case for Impale/serrated/puncture? That would definitely account for the discrepancies I am having.

Back when 1.8 was on the pts i posted how 34/20/12 was better than 32/20/14. 36 sin is slightly better than 32 but worse than 34 iirc. I did these tests with consumables and fervor over 10 minutes. If you check my post history im sure you can find them. A lot of the sin abilities ignore armor.
    Gnarlwood - Belladonna - P50 Rogue
    Seastone - Puandro - P24 Mage
    Im here for the PvE, not the unbalanced subpar PvP.
    Just Waiting...

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Puandro View Post
    Back when 1.8 was on the pts i posted how 34/20/12 was better than 32/20/14. 36 sin is slightly better than 32 but worse than 34 iirc. I did these tests with consumables and fervor over 10 minutes. If you check my post history im sure you can find them. A lot of the sin abilities ignore armor.
    I remember that post, I also used 34/20/12 for a few weeks as well. Couldn't really tell the difference to be honest (might have been a support issue or whatever). Most of the Bloodstalker spec tweaks are very close to each other.
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
    I remember that post, I also used 34/20/12 for a few weeks as well. Couldn't really tell the difference to be honest (might have been a support issue or whatever). Most of the Bloodstalker spec tweaks are very close to each other.
    This is very true. On the dummies its easier to test though. 34 came on top every time but it was a very small amount.
    Gnarlwood - Belladonna - P50 Rogue
    Seastone - Puandro - P24 Mage
    Im here for the PvE, not the unbalanced subpar PvP.
    Just Waiting...

+ Reply to Thread