+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rennlc

Thread: Tryin out the Bard - with a Pet?

Default Tryin out the Bard - with a Pet?

I just got Rift a few Days ago and so far I have enjoyed my Paladin.
    I tried a Rogue today and I definately want to play Bard. The default Souls for that path didn't really fit me and I thought they don't fit the ranged attacks of a Bard either.
    So I thought about adding the Ranger Soul to use a Pet and maybe some more ranged attacks.

I got some points into Bard and Ranger now, but I am not sure yet where to go with it.
    Do you guys have any advice or tipps where to the points are best spent for such a setup?
    My main focus is definately in being a bard - but I want my Pet to actually protect me.

Bard/ranger is not a great combo. In order to get a pet that's worth anything in a fight, you need to basically go full-blown ranger, which means that you give up a ton of core bard abilities.

You don't need a pet in the first place, anyways, because the tank will be protecting you if you play a bard.

For leveling solo, bard/ranger (though, really, it's ranger/bard) isn't a bad spec option at all.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

coy
    Telaran

I did level my rogue as a bard/ranger and it was fun until ~lvl42. Afterwards you better switch to any assasin spec because the pet becomes too weak if you do not go full spec ranger

Somewhat dissapointing answers hehe.
    Bummer that it is not really viable.
    But whats the point of your close combat abilities for the bard? All Songs are ranged.
    I don't get it. Do you use the close combat attacks at all?
    Last edited by Scorcher24; 06-12-2012 at 05:05 AM.

You go into melee souls for the passive talents and/or buffs, not for the melee attacks. This is the case for a lot of specs, because most combo point builders/finishers aren't worth using unless you go deep into that soul. For instance, Bloodstalkers go into Riftstalker (the tank spec) to pick up Stalker Phase, but they never use Planar Strike or Guarded Steel.

There are a few exceptions (marksman and ranger specs usually dip into the other soul for a couple of attacks like Rapid Fire Shot or Shadow Fire), but those are more of an exception than the rule.

Anyways, since I assume that you're currently leveling, I recommend using a Riftstalker/Bladedancer/Assassin build. There's an overview of it in Zyzyx's Rogue Bible, which can be found in the Rogue Guides forum.
    Last edited by Muspel; 06-12-2012 at 06:06 AM.

Yes, I am leveling atm, but I always level with the build I want to play in the endgame.
    That's a vital part of "l2p" for me. This way I can master my class.
    So I level my Paladin as Tank and will continue my Bard as such..

Thanks again for all helpful input.
    Last edited by Scorcher24; 06-12-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Questing and soloing as a bard is a really bad way to learn and get used to the soul. Stuff like Motifs and various Codas are just plain not used when you're not in a group, because they're a huge waste of time when they're only affecting one person, and you don't get any kind of sense of when you should be healing and when you should be debuffing. Unless you're exclusively leveling through 5-man dungeons, you should really play something else, or you'll have a ton of bad habits to break when you hit level 50.

Telaran

It really depends on what you plan to do for end game. If you plan to raid and actually help out in the raid then there are only a few cookie cutter builds - bloodstalker (melee), Rangeman (heh, just made that name up - 51 ranger 15marksman - ranged), Marksrange (lol, I could get used to making names up - 51 Marksman 15 ranger - Ranged), Sab - 51 sabatuer....can't remember the other souls in it and bard.

The bard is truely just a support class. There are a lot of different varieties of bards out there which Muspel has a nice thread on but none of them would be for soloing especially if you want to learn how to learn the class for endgame raids. End game raids for bard go something like - motif, motif, motif, motif, motif, rift, coda, (depends on what raid wants) Verse of Joy, cadence, cadence, coda, cadence, cadence, coda, motif, motif, motif, motif, motif. That was merely an example just to illustrate that it wouldn't be good for soloing to lvl.

Those are the main ones used. I would think that for lvling either use the 51 ranger 15 mm or use the bloodstalker. You'd get owned at higher lvls with 51 marksman without some really good gear and I heard, though I have never played bloodstalker, that it is really gear dependent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mystang89 View Post
    There are a lot of different varieties of bards out there which Muspel has a nice thread on
    I do?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcher24 View Post
    Yes, I am leveling atm, but I always level with the build I want to play in the endgame.
    That's a vital part of "l2p" for me. This way I can master my class.
    So I level my Paladin as Tank and will continue my Bard as such..

Thanks again for all helpful input.
    If that's the case, then level with lots of different builds because at the endgame you're going to have up to 6 you can switch between depending on what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by rennlc View Post
    If that's the case, then level with lots of different builds because at the endgame you're going to have up to 6 you can switch between depending on what you're doing.
    Basically this.

In Rift, flexibility isn't a bonus, it's the expectation. Someone who can play one soul really well, but has no experience at playing anything else isn't someone I want in my raids.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I do?

Lol, sorry you were the other rogue tank writer. Mirimon was the one who did all the stuff with the bards.

My friend played through to 50 and in t2 raids as a bard. You will have to respec it as you go for viability but Bards are useful and honestly I dont think someones going to tell you "WE DONT HAVE ENOUGH MARKSMEN GET OFF YOUR BARD SPEC!!!!!!"

Taking 0 point ranger is completely worth it until 30 because the pet will hold aggro for you.

For the majority of your leveling, assuming you will be questing solo a lot, I suggest you put your main points into bard, the offpoints into nightblade for the +combo builder and +finisher damage, and keep ranger at zero points for the pet.

+ Reply to Thread