+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie Rogue

Soulwalker

Default Newbie Rogue

Just hit 50 last week and I'm looking to get into some raids. The auction house has provided me with 206 Hit and around 650 Phys Crit. Before I set foot in a raid I just want to make sure that I'm as prepared as I can be. I done quite a bit of raiding in WoW (it's a sin, I know) and know what it's like to be carried through a raid as well as what it's like to be the one carrying. I prefer to carry my own weight as much as I can and contribute to the raid's success.

So, having said all of that, I know I should be stocked up on any supplies that I might need and to be fully prepared and versed on all of the fights that take place. None of that is a problem for me.

I've a bunch of the guides here in the Rift forums and most seem to be geared towards people who've already played through a lot of the raid content and are looking to squeeze out a few more DPS to top the charts of thier raid. I'm just having trouble finding a good spec with a fairly straightforward rotation and good DPS. I see a lot of specs in the guides that reference crystals. I don't have a crystal as of yet. Is that gonna be a problem just starting with some low level raids?

The whole point of my giant slab of text is that I'm looking for a good melee build with a rotation that isn't terribly complicated and isn't dependent on the previously mentioned crystal. Any help you guys could give would be helpful.

Click dat sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

As a side note, I strongly recommend using a ranged build on most encounters, especially if you haven't done them before. Rift is an incredibly melee-unfriendly game, and there are many mechanics that will either lower your DPS or 1-shot you that ranged can simply ignore, or at least have an easier time dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    As a side note, I strongly recommend using a ranged build on most encounters, especially if you haven't done them before. Rift is an incredibly melee-unfriendly game, and there are many mechanics that will either lower your DPS or 1-shot you that ranged can simply ignore, or at least have an easier time dealing with.
    I disagree. Play what you like. GSB and RoS are both melee friendly, HK is melee friendly (except some trash) it won't be until you're in ID that there's any reason to play a ranged build over melee.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    I disagree. Play what you like. GSB and RoS are both melee friendly, HK is melee friendly (except some trash) it won't be until you're in ID that there's any reason to play a ranged build over melee.
    GSB has Duke (with Wrath and Cleave). Johlen may force the melee away depending on bomb placement. Most groups use only 1 tank and stack the werewolves together on Oracle, and may require the melee to stand back if the healers can't heal through the aura. Hylas also uses Wrath. Greenscale has cleaves, and ranged have an easier in the air phases if the tank places the adds poorly, which happens often in PUGs.

RoS has minor disadvantages for melee sprinkled around (IE, ranged can continue DPSing more easily if they get the debuff on Alsbeth, while melee may need to move out of range).

The tier 1 10-mans are also somewhat melee-unfriendly, and that's where he'll first be raiding.

HK has plenty of fights that, while not nightmarishly bad for melee, still have advantages for ranged (Garau, King/Prince, Matron, and Zilas).

The point isn't that he can't play melee, it's that ranged have a lot of advantages and an easier learning curve on most fights, which makes it a much safer choice if it's your first time in there.

+ Reply to Thread