+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Monk, Master of Fist & Foot..

Default Monk, Master of Fist & Foot..

Imagine a Monk soul for rogues that specializes in punches & kicks. The specialized weapons would be brass knuckles, spiked gauntlets, weapons of that nature. A few ideas for abilities & attacks...
    2 kinds of attacks the monk can use.

Physical attacks which build up Chi power just like mage's spells build up charge. These attacks benefit from weapon damage for brass knuckles, spike gauntlets, etc.

Chi attacks which use Chi power to damage. Chi attacks ignore armor but dont use weapon damage since their power comes from within (Chi). Chi attacks don't add CP nor use them up.

Chi abilities which use built up Chi to heal, short term buffs n debuffs, auras, etc.

Some ideas for Chi attacks & abilities..
    Dim Mak : 51 pnt root attack: A little bleeding for 5-8 seconds then massive damage. Damage from Dim Mak cannot be healed for 3-5 seconds.
    Flame breath.
    Zen Mind: immunity to all mind affecting attacks. Uses X chi/ second. last until monk runs out of chi. 2-5 minuite cd.
    Aura of Peace: Monk & all grp/raid members within aura generate 50% less threat.
    Exploding Palm: AOE damage radiating from the monk's target.

Ok. Ive run out of steam by this point but you guys get the idea. Im hoping others could fill in with good ideas for Monk physical & chi attacks & abilities. This prolly not what's coming to us via 1.9 but at least we can cobble together some good monk ideas in one thread and maybe Trion will consider this for a future expansion. If nothing else, its fun to hypothesize and idea storm.
    A computer once beat me at chess but it sure couldn't beat me at kick boxing.

Have you already considered playing WoW?

Ascendant

I'm not so sure a monk really fits a rogue's theme, it would really be more of a cleric thing in this game imo. Anyone who has played Ragnarok Online back in the day might know where I'm going with this.

Asura Strike !! (Guillotine Fist !!)
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

This is very much like a monk/bruiser of EQ2 although they could also tank. Right now I don't feel there is lore to support a monk however I do see them coming at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Terror View Post
    Imagine a Monk soul...

Exploding Palm: AOE damage radiating from the monk's target.

Ok. Ive run out of steam by this point but you guys get the idea.
    took you that much "steam" to think up a soul name and ability name in use by Diablo 3?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#...V

P8, 5/8 ID, HK Conq 11/11 (gear)
    Rogue - Seastone, Defiant
    "Release the attack squirrels!"

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Nimue View Post
    took you that much "steam" to think up a soul name and ability name in use by Diablo 3?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#...V
    Ok. I'll throw this troll a bone though Ill prolly regret feeding it. Monk has already been suggested in many other threads pre-dating this one. The name was already there, no steam required since its a good one. I simply fleshed out what others suggested.
    As far as exploding palm, Ive never played D3. Never even been to official nor fan websites so I never knew such a thing was in D3. I actually was thinking of Kill Bill vol. 2 when suggesting the name. Actually, the technique Kiddo used to kill Bill was called, "Five point palm exploding heart" so, yeah, I bastardized the name of a technique used in a movie that predates D3 by far. Sue me. Can you prove that D3 devs didn't do exactly the same thing?
    Anyway, no hard feelings. Trolls can't help themselves.
    A computer once beat me at chess but it sure couldn't beat me at kick boxing.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Monk. What an original idea. Punches and kicks? How novel. No MMO has made a Monk class before. Except for--you know--half the RPGs that have come out in the last 15 years and Dungeons and Dragons before probably any of us were born. And a monk that punches? HOLY BUTTS. Yes, lets argue about who gets credit for this epiphany.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 06-01-2012 at 01:38 PM.

They already did that in diablo 3! Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

In all seriousness, I don't think Monk would work with the "Rogue" lore in Rift. Also, I would assume Monks are melee, and you wouldn't want an aura making your tank generate 50% less threat :x ... I also wouldn't see them doing the "chi" thing, since everything in combo-point based (including Sab). I don't think they would make specialized weapons either, perhaps just stat sticks to base fist damage off. If you think about it, Sabs never use their equipped weapons to deal damage, but the damage is still based off ranged weapon damage.

I wouldn't mind a fisted melee soul though, I just think the Monk approach is too "holy" for a Rogue. Perhaps something more unique.

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Monk

great class, lots of fun
    who took my names!

to be fair, it would be fun, and perhaps open rogues to using 2h weapons like glaives and polearms, BTW.. ur all wrong, I originally played a Monk back in the mid 70's when we all used to play the paper crack, also known as D&D and was also used in AD&D.. so no, nothing new here.. but also, does it really matter how copied it is? Rogues wearing cloth and stacking dex/wis for quasi-magic type abilities, the potential to still tank while also providing another form of dps.. I would not mind it soo much, if it could be done right, and not be energy starved.. and not have to roll against warriors for gear...

p.s. could we perhaps spend some of this energy into a much needed barding overhaul? (hm... bard/monk??)

Quote Originally Posted by Remli View Post
    In all seriousness, I don't think Monk would work with the "Rogue" lore in Rift. Also, I would assume Monks are melee, and you wouldn't want an aura making your tank generate 50% less threat :x ... I also wouldn't see them doing the "chi" thing, since everything in combo-point based (including Sab). I don't think they would make specialized weapons either, perhaps just stat sticks to base fist damage off. If you think about it, Sabs never use their equipped weapons to deal damage, but the damage is still based off ranged weapon damage.

I wouldn't mind a fisted melee soul though, I just think the Monk approach is too "holy" for a Rogue. Perhaps something more unique.
    first off.. a MONK has no required ties to any religion at all, not IRL, and certainly not in a fantasy.. IRL monks may be spiritual, but not religious, and in most cases it is considered a philosphy (when regarding combative monks, like some aspects of Zen buddists).

and yes.. it probably would fit rogue best of all, not being fully in the magical department.. and certainly not being clad in material armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadili View Post
    This is very much like a monk/bruiser of EQ2 although they could also tank. Right now I don't feel there is lore to support a monk however I do see them coming at some point.
    It was also the red headed step child of EQ2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirimon View Post
    first off.. a MONK has no required ties to any religion at all, not IRL, and certainly not in a fantasy.. IRL monks may be spiritual, but not religious, and in most cases it is considered a philosphy (when regarding combative monks, like some aspects of Zen buddists).

and yes.. it probably would fit rogue best of all, not being fully in the magical department.. and certainly not being clad in material armor.
    I never said it was religious, and I'm sorry I upset you >_>

But I guess someone who's hypothesizing so much re itemization for ONE soul has plenty of catching up to do already.

Quote Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
    I'm not so sure a monk really fits a rogue's theme, it would really be more of a cleric thing in this game imo. Anyone who has played Ragnarok Online back in the day might know where I'm going with this.

Asura Strike !! (Guillotine Fist !!)

Depends on the Monk.

If it was done like the Monk in Vanguard, it could fit very well.
    Dharma (Level 70): Proclus Lycaeus --- Damaged (ALL level 65): Berilion, Daermoon, Ephrus, Shvaai
    The Lords of Chaos (Personal - ALL level 65): Ennal, Benderis, Eldr, Yamule, Mirahsha, Wolframm, Ariarlos
    Vengeance: EU/Typhiria : Proclus (65), Sibenundvierzig (57), Cyfer (65), Shvaai (15)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast