+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: If Rogues got a new Soul - what should it be?

Default If Rogues got a new Soul - what should it be?

There's been talk of an expansion and possibly new souls sometime in the distant future. What do you think the rogue soul should be?

Myself I think healer. Out of the classes there are 3/4 with tanking, 2/4 with healing, 2/4 with support and 4/4 with dps. If rogues got a healing soul with a setup like chloro (it doesn't need to dip into other souls to be effective and 51 works) then it would further balance the game out... plus people keep saying rogues can heal so might as well actually be able to heal well.

For other callings:
    Warriors - support soul with ranged dps
    Clerics - dps melee soul
    Mages - I'm not sure about this one, though melee dps would be funny.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Mayi; 05-29-2012 at 05:54 AM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Ascendant

A new soul for Rogues is a tricky one since they already, arguably, have the greatest variety of souls already (3 ranged dps, 3 melee dps, 1 tank, 1 support which also has some minor healing).

If a new soul was added I'd split my bets between a second Tank soul or a real healer. The questions would be how to make a Rogue Tank that played significantly differnt from the Riftstalker and how a Rogue Healer could actually function without feeling really forced. Something like Vanguard's Disciple perhaps?
    Last edited by Kedon; 05-29-2012 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedon View Post
    If a new soul was added I'd split my bets between a second Tank soul or a real healer. The questions would be how to make a Rogue Tank that played significantly differnt from the Riftstalker and how a Rogue Healer could actually function without feeling really forced. Something like Vanguard's Disciple perhaps?
    2nd tank would be an option I guess... but really I'd hate it if they did that. That's be like not getting another soul.

A realy healer would be good. Yea disciple would be good. Vanguard was a bad game in a lot of ways but one thing the did really well was inovations on classes. Something like a disciple would probably be good.

I can't quite recall how they work, but similar to bards/chloros with a tap irrc.

If they're going to redo the bard class then they should also take a look at vanguard bards for a way to change it. Everyone who played that class loved it.

General of Telara

Something that gets Cornered Beast

Ascendant

That's pretty close. Think "Melee Chloromancer" and you're along the right lines for the Disciple. Though I think the Disciple was a much deeper and nuanced class than Chloromancer (it utilized the dual-targetting system excellently) but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Kedon; 05-29-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Ascendant

I'd like to see them fill out every calling so that they all have a choice for every roll.

Warriors need a healing and support soul (which maybe does support through some ranged DPS?)
    Clerics need a true support
    Rogues need a healing soul
    Mages need a true support, and a tank

Then everyone can do everything and just do it in different ways. It will be incredibly hard to balance them all out to existing content and develop new content based on the inclusion of the new souls though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    For other callings:
    Warriors - support soul with ranged dps
    Clerics - dps melee soul
    Mages - I'm not sure about this one, though melee dps would be funny.
    Warriors already have a support soul called warlord and a ranged soul called paragon.
    Clerics - already have 2 melee dps souls, they need another ranged dps soul
    mages - melee mage sounds interesting

A pirate themed rogue would fit in with the games lore and still be cool. Make it a ranged/melee hybrid kind of like nightblade.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

General of Telara

I wouldn't classify Warlord as a support soul lol

General of Telara

I guess to seriously contribute... I'd like us to get a second support/healing role; something that could possibly mix well with Riftstalker tanks. We're pretty much set on DPS variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    Warriors already have a support soul called warlord and a ranged soul called paragon.

A pirate themed rogue would fit in with the games lore and still be cool. Make it a ranged/melee hybrid kind of like nightblade.
    Problem is beastmaster has no ranged in it's soul, champ neither. For someone to play beastmaster they give up all ranged attacks. Best to give them a support soul with ranged, then they can have a full support build mixing in beastmaster with the new soul.

Pirate theme would definitely be good. Or what about just a monk? Leather wearing monk rogue who heals. Then again if mages got a melee soul monk would suit them best.

If rogues got a healing soul I'd finally stop regretting my class choice lol. Chose bard in beta because they were strong aoe healers.
    Last edited by Mayi; 05-29-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Possibly some kind of monk, thought I think they would need to add fist weapons/melee staves to the loot tables for that not to look silly.

Alternatively some kind of swashbuckler/pirate type could work, as they seem to want us to use swords (dig at ID dagger nerf for the 1% of QQing dw warriors!)

Sword of Telara

New Tank Soul:

The Gimp.

Concept: Wears leather, and takes a beating. Almost all passive mitigation for talents. Having the gimp soul prevents any "tells" or "say" commands, but allows emotes. At 51 points in Gimp, character becomes effectively immune to most all physical damage. Each point in Gimp also reduces the damage it does by 2%. At 51 points you effectively heal other's with your ineffecual slaps.
    Laban Rogue <That Guild>. Bad... good? I'm the guy with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnes View Post
    Possibly some kind of monk, thought I think they would need to add fist weapons/melee staves to the loot tables for that not to look silly.
    They could call it the adept or something like that. I was thinking of a talent like reparation where 80% of damage gets transferred onto the target of your choice, with an ability like surging flames where overheals become aoe heals. Maybe 40%+2% per point in the tree.

Then give it a gimp aoe heal on a 5 second recast with a 2 second cast time.

Something like a disciple. For monk maybe melee mage and make weapon dps matter so they use their staves as a monk.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Rogue: Exsanguinator

Healer-DPS archetype. Utilize mid-range attacks which steal life from enemies to infuse the rogue with blood power, allowing him to overcharge it to cast DoT finishing moves or bleed off combo points to his allies as healing. Little/no self-healing.

Warrior: Centurion

Ranged DPS/support archetype. Execute ranged attacks which buff the warrior and finishing moves which spread the active Centurion buffs to his allies for 15 seconds. Buffs would overlap with Archon/BM.

Mage: Theurgist

Tank/DPS archetype. By linking with spirits, the mage is able to clad himself in soul armor, increasing either his armor/damage reduction or his outgoing damage with wands. Using wand-based melee and PBAE special attacks, he can debuff enemies, generate armor and deal damage.

Cleric: Primeval Host

Summoner archetype. Embodies the base elements of nature: fire, water, air, earth. Chooses an elemental Aspect and deals damage by casting spells through his Aspect which deal damage, create additional summons or offer limited protection.

I'm going to laugh hysterically if they add a healing Soul to the Rouge calling since I started leveling a mage so I could heal if I wanted to.

That said, just spit balling, I would love to see a melee vision of Chloromancer. Perhaps with a greater emphasis on shields and large direct heals instead of the steady stream of heals that Chloros get. I like the idea of tying it to finishers. Combo Points effectively give you longer "cast times" and would justify larger shields/direct heals.

I can see the PVP QQ now though so I imagine if they go down any healing route with Rogues that it will be be fairly modified in PVP.

My guess though is that the they decided on the Soul "vision" a long time ago though.
    Telarans on class balance: Rock is overpowered. Paper is fine. - Scissors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast