+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good marksman build

Default Good marksman build

I found this build on dunsparrow and it pulls a desent amount of damage in raids and pvp

in raids it requires a ranger crystal

http://www.riftsoulbuilder.com/soul_...33d7ee52f9aa90

there is the build

here are some macros

Builder Macro

#show Eradicate
    suppressmacrofailures
    startrangedattack
    cast Shadow Fire
    cast Splinter Shot
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Quick Shot
    cast Piercing Shot

AOE Macro

#show Fan Out
    suppressmacrofailures
    startrangedattack
    cast Lightning Fury
    cast Fan Out

FInisher macro 1

#show Rapid Fire Shot
    cast Rapid Fire Shot
    Cast Hasted Shot

Needed buffs

Electrified Munitions
    Silver tip Munitions
    Predatory Instincts

General strat

Build combo points up with Builder macro and then use Finisher Macro then use Strafe for second round of shots then use Bull's Eye then deadeye shot.

Use strafe whenever its up but finish builder macro if you already started that.

When full combo Strafe, Bull's eye, Deadeye shot is up use that for dps bonus.

Err, no.
    /10chars

Your builder macro has an error in it. The other thing is you should be using lightning fury in your builder macro now with 1.8.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Telaran

Not sure if serious...
    This build is being used by the majority of rogues and can indeed pull nice dps, but macroing all you attack together is somewhat weird to me. Sometimes you just want to choose a certain ability. Also I thought Deadeye Shot was better to use than Hasted Shot, in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Therawynn View Post
    Not sure if serious...
    This build is being used by the majority of rogues and can indeed pull nice dps, but macroing all you attack together is somewhat weird to me. Sometimes you just want to choose a certain ability. Also I thought Deadeye Shot was better to use than Hasted Shot, in general.
    I've found macroing is a dps increase. I never macroed in other games but have found you need to in Rift.

#show shadow fire
    cast Shadow Fire
    cast Splinter Shot
    cast lightning fury
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast piercing shot
    cast quick Shot
    startrangedattack (haven't checked adding this into the macro, but if you do it should be at the end, otherwise you'll have issues firing stuff while jumping, etc...)

I think this is the correct macro. I have no idea why people add suppressmacros to their macros, it doesn't do anything and even if it did I'd want to know about errors.

About Deadeye, it's better in this build then MM crystal but not necessary. I hate having to interrupt it and generally go all insta-cast abilities. If I wanted cast times I'd play a mage.
    Last edited by Mayi; 05-28-2012 at 04:55 AM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Quote Originally Posted by Athran View Post

#show Eradicate
    suppressmacrofailures
    startrangedattack
    cast Shadow Fire
    cast Splinter Shot
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Quick Shot
    cast Piercing Shot
    Piercing shot is out of order here, see Mayi's post above. Piercing would never go off due to quick having no cd.

In my macro I have Splinter ahead of shadow to ensure that the dot is on as much as possible, but I haven't really parsed the difference. Has anyone tried switching them and seeing which is better?
    Ashnon - 60 Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnon View Post
    In my macro I have Splinter ahead of shadow to ensure that the dot is on as much as possible, but I haven't really parsed the difference. Has anyone tried switching them and seeing which is better?
    Shadow Fire does 354-359+weapon damage. Splinter Shot does 317 plus weapon damage over 10 seconds.

It's not exactly rocket science. Having a higher uptime on a DoT isn't worth it if the DoT does less damage than the other abilities you could be using.
    Last edited by Muspel; 05-28-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Shadow Fire does 354-359+weapon damage. Splinter Shot does 317 plus weapon damage over 10 seconds.

It's not exactly rocket science. Having a higher uptime on a DoT isn't worth it if the DoT does less damage than the other abilities you could be using.
    I suppose this is true, but you aren't foregoing shadow fire for splinter, just delaying it a second for those times when the cooldowns line up. So is the 1 second delay overly crippling your dps?

Same could be said about the way I have it. Is the one second delay on splinter really hurting that much?

I will parse em out and see.
    Ashnon - 60 Rogue

Soulwalker

That particular build and macros seems to be almost exclusively for PvP. For PvE i would have dropped all points in the improved Piercing shot and also only put 14 points into ranger with 1 point into AP of Riftstalker.

Crippling shot in PvE is actually a slight dps loss (and it does not work on bosses).
    you can replace Pierce Shot with Lightning Fury as suggested above for the armor reduction.

I also would not macro Splinter Shot, as it would need to be used situational for max dps. With ranger crystal you could macro Shadowfire and would not lose any dps on single target, but with AOE, i like to fire off a single Shadowfire followed by a Headshot (for the 10% dmg increase) then go straight into the aoe macro mentioned above (lightning fury + fan out).

As for the finisher, Hasted Shot is only good in PvP. In PvE use Head Shot for the buff, then RFS and Deadeye for any finishers after the Head Shot buff is up.

just my 2 cents from playing MM/ranger since release. take it as you will......
    Last edited by Drephin; 05-28-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnon View Post
    I suppose this is true, but you aren't foregoing shadow fire for splinter, just delaying it a second for those times when the cooldowns line up. So is the 1 second delay overly crippling your dps?
    It's a very small difference. But it's definitely a loss.

If you put Shadow Fire at a higher priority, then it will be used slightly more often. And Shadow Fire does more damage than Splinter Shot.

There is no possible way that using Splinter Shot over Shadow Fire results in more DPS, any more than using Swift Shot instead of Cripping Shot is more DPS.

EDIT: Shadow Fire/Splinter Shot should be on a separate macro, anyways, so that you don't use them at 4 CPs.
    Last edited by Muspel; 05-28-2012 at 02:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread