+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Knightcrawler

Thread: 51 RS/8 RNG.....Bard or Bladedancer?

Default 51 RS/8 RNG.....Bard or Bladedancer?

I am a newer player, planning on going 51 RS in my main role for Tanking. i'm in the 30s at the moment, but looking towards the future.

seems like Ranger is a good choice for a secondary, for more health/less damage.

can't decide which third soul would be better for me, Bard or Bladedancer.

Bard for the extra health and Anthem of Glory, Bladedancer for the extra Dodge.

which do I pick?

is RS/Bard/Bladedancer a valid combo as well, or would that be subpar?
    Last edited by JayMad4; 04-03-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by JayMad4 View Post
    I am a newer player, planning on going 51 RS in my main role for Tanking. i'm in the 30s at the moment, but looking towards the future.

seems like Ranger is a good choice for a secondary, for more health/less damage.

can't decide which third soul would be better for me, Bard or Bladedancer.

Bard for the extra health and Anthem of Glory, Bladedancer for the extra Dodge.

which do I pick?

is RS/Bard/Bladedancer a valid combo as well, or would that be subpar?
    i went with rs/rng/bd for few reasons. having splinter shot to pull from ranger is awesome, along with the talent buffs it gives. bd for the extra cd, but mostly the spammable aoe in the form of twin strike. that's going to be most valuable as you're grinding 5 mans for gear

A TRUE tank will carry 3 builds.

TurnTheTide- which is 41rs/17bladedancer/8ranger (trash, lower content, bosses with adds)

Max HP- which is 51rs/8ranger/7bard (dont get glory, doesnt stack with archon - build is for magic fights where avoidance gets you nothing.)

and Normal build- 51rs/8ranger/7bladedancer (used for physical bosses with no adds to proc TTT or bosses with a mix of magic/phys)

If you can only carry 1 tank build I suggest 7bladedancer. But don't get too attatched to it because come 1.8 you will be down to only max hp build and TTT build.

Hope that helps.
    (_(_)_) -Gambiit- (_(_)_)
    always watching

Rift Disciple

^ he means, 51rs/8bd/7ranger, 7bd gives you 5% dodge but 8 bd gives you 5% dodge, and false blades which is a finisher that gives you another 5% dodge for 1m. however might as well just go 51rs/8ranger/7bard now. 1.8 false blades is getting changed to some useless HoT finisher... really trion? what the hell gave you guys the idea to change our **** to be completely USELESS.... i mean fully geared speced n **** on pts its a freakin 1200pt hot over like 12 seconds or something? might as well just take the ability out all together....
    Help
    <Blackout>
    Seastone 8/8ID

Quote Originally Posted by Knightcrawler View Post
    If you can only carry 1 tank build I suggest 7bladedancer. But don't get too attatched to it because come 1.8 you will be down to only max hp build and TTT build.
    ^Pretty much this. Once they nerf False Blade and turn it into the second most useless skill in the rogue arsenal it will be bard/ranger for raid tanking and TTT for instances if you care to run it at all.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by fD123 View Post
    i went with rs/rng/bd for few reasons. having splinter shot to pull from ranger is awesome, along with the talent buffs it gives. bd for the extra cd, but mostly the spammable aoe in the form of twin strike. that's going to be most valuable as you're grinding 5 mans for gear
    Interestingly enough, I got absolutely lambasted the other night for pulling using Splinter Shot.... the fact that it gives us 2cp etc seems to be lost on people. But also be aware that ranged pulls generate very little threat (from my experience) so any over zealous DPS or healer will rip these off you quicker than you can swear at your screen.

The other advantage for going heavily into BD (for instances) is Weapon Barrage a useful tool for when the DPS are too focused on their numbers rather than helping you out with silences etc.

Over and above this, Knightcrawler is correct. I run with the 3 builds he suggests, but tbh the max hp build I rarely use as I don't tank raids. The only good thing to come out of 1.8 is that I get to free up a soul build with the **** change to FB.
    Last edited by Gethzerion; 04-04-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Shadowlander

TurnTheTide- which is 41rs/17bladedancer/8ranger (trash, lower content, bosses with adds)

Max HP- which is 51rs/8ranger/7bard (dont get glory, doesnt stack with archon - build is for magic fights where avoidance gets you nothing.)

and Normal build- 51rs/8ranger/7bladedancer (used for physical bosses with no adds to proc TTT or bosses with a mix of magic/phys)

Hope that helps.
    To I miss something? Why would the last build not be viable anymore in 1.8? Only thing we loose will be False Blade, which you don't have in 7BD anyway.
    Did some testing on PTS and TtT build still works pretty fine, even without False Blade.

Shadowlander

Do*

Freaking 5 mins

Quote Originally Posted by Lohreck View Post
    To I miss something? Why would the last build not be viable anymore in 1.8? Only thing we loose will be False Blade, which you don't have in 7BD anyway.
    Did some testing on PTS and TtT build still works pretty fine, even without False Blade.
    Read what 420Mystic wrote, it should have been 8BD 7Rng

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Gethzerion View Post
    Read what 420Mystic wrote, it should have been 8BD 7Rng
    Ah thx, now it makes sense

51rs/8rng/7bd imo is still a very nice alround spec

Ascendant

Bladedancer subbed will still give Side Steps which is handy on encounters with some dodgable physical attacks. I'd rate that cooldown higher than Bard's extra health for those fights I suppose.

But that False Blade nerf is still going to sting Bladedancer sub specs badly (it also reduces tanks to just the one useful finisher - fun stuff).
    Last edited by Kedon; 04-04-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Shadowlander

I'm not really up to date on all the avoidance on tanks, but after the warrior tank changes their avoidance went down. With the up and coming cleric changes their avoidance goes down as well, which would make Rogues quite a bit ahead in avoidance. I see this as the reason they changed false blade and gave us some mitigation on other skills.

The only downside to this is that rogue tanking just got more boring, again. Its not that I dont really mind having more keys available, its the fact that we're down to only one real finisher now.

Oh well yes, come 1.8 you'll have to choose between 7bd/8rng or 7bard/8rng. 7bd is still very tempting, side steps is awesome for tanking loadsa mobs. Tho if you plan on tanking a single (raid-)boss in 1.8, 7bard/8rng is going to be the spec to use.

Rift Chaser

I hate the bard build I will stick with the BD i mainly off tank if i have to tank in a raid and of course dungeon runs and some of the 10mans so i will stick with BD and my Twin strike love when their is multiple targets (yes I only have 1 tank build)

QFT

the three builds I personally use are:
    51Rift/12Blade/3Ranger

This gives me a little extra hit and dex, as well as a second interrupt, which for some fights, such as Beruhast in RoTP, is invaluable. For now, it is my all around tank spec that I use for almost every boss, but with 1.8 nerfing False Blade, I doubt I'll use it as often outside of any encounter I might need two interrupts for.

51Rift/8Ranger/7Bard

This will probably become my go-to spec in 1.8. Right now I mainly use it for Sicaron and a handful of other bosses. It gives me the highest HP of my three specs. Using this over the first build I linked costs you side steps, false blade(which will suck in 1.8), a self dex buff(which won't matter for raids since bard overwrites it), and a second interrupt.

The last build I use is the Turn The Tide spec:
    41Rift/17Blade/8Ranger

This spec focuses on mitigation over everything else and has the lowest HP of my 3 specs. I really only use it for trash, though sometimes I'll bring it out for Matron. It is my go-to spec for 5mans.
    Beep Beep Ima Jeep@Deepwood http://http://beepbeep.guildlaunch.com
    Asaomar Lv 60 Rogue Tank[Main]-Miniderps Lv 60 Cleric Tank[Alt]-Shederps Lv 60 Mage[Alt]
    Boss Kill videos | My Live Stream
    All T1 Content ClearedGrim Awakening 4/4, Infinity Gate 2/3, Planebreaker Bastion 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by 420MySTiC View Post
    ^ he means, 51rs/8bd/7ranger, 7bd gives you 5% dodge but 8 bd gives you 5% dodge, and false blades which is a finisher that gives you another 5% dodge for 1m. however might as well just go 51rs/8ranger/7bard now. 1.8 false blades is getting changed to some useless HoT finisher... really trion? what the hell gave you guys the idea to change our **** to be completely USELESS.... i mean fully geared speced n **** on pts its a freakin 1200pt hot over like 12 seconds or something? might as well just take the ability out all together....
    Thanks Kine, I botched the numbers.

Yes I meant 8bd 7rng.
    (_(_)_) -Gambiit- (_(_)_)
    always watching

+ Reply to Thread