+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The Riftstalker 31 point.

Default The Riftstalker 31 point.

This is my simple Idea for reworking the 31 point ability in Riftstalker Planar Switch which in my opinion is possibly the worst skill in any tanking soul, and rivals the worst skills in all of the game. No one uses Planar Switch to switch targets, essentially it is a free combo point ever 10 seconds that leaves us energy starved. We don't even need that combo point.

The Suggestion:

Change Planar Switch to an ability very similar to the Warriors Void Knight ability, Rift Summon. It would extend on the whole point of Riftstalkers 'teleporting', but instead give us a way to teleport a mob to us.
    'Random New Name': 20-45second cooldown, teleports the targeted mob within 20meters to right in front of the Riftstalker and forces the target to attack the Rogue for 3 seconds, puts our other single target Taunt on cooldown.

Why:

Riftstalker's are all about mobility, teleporting around quickly. We have a ton of mobility but, we are largly controlled by the mobs, instead of controlling them. When there is a pack of casters, we have 2 options:
    1. Line of sight pull them to wherever you can.
    2. Use our 1 minute cooldown AoE taunt pull. Planar Attraction
    Issues with those 2 options:
    1. Although often there is somewhere to LoS mobs, there is not always.
    2. We have to hope that the mobs are close enough together to be hit by Planar Attraction, and we have to hope there is not more than 5 mobs, because that is what Planar Attraction caps at. Also, we have to hope that there are not multiple pulls like this, or we have to wait for that cooldown each time.
    So, if one of the above options does not work, we have to either teleport around like chickens with our head cut off, trying to hold aggro on all the mobs while everyones GTAoE hits 1/2 of the mobs. Or spec into a much inferior tanking spec that involves an interrupt with a silence attatched to it (which won't even work on archer mobs).

My thought process:
    I was just daydreaming about random stuff today when I thought about how much fun it is to be a warrior tank. 'Why is that so fun Gambiit?', you may ask. Other than focusing on the obvious mitigation awesomeness - When you are a warrior tank you CONTROL the situation, you tell the mobs what to do and they have no choice. How? Sergeant's Order. Every 8 seconds the warrior can pull a mob from 20m away to them, this effectively makes it so they don't need to ever LoS a pack of mobs. In ratio we have an aoe 1min cooldown pull, that pulls in 5 mobs within 10meters(5/minute 10m PbAoE range), while warriors have an 8 second cooldown 20meter pull in thier BEST tanking spec, and can also spec into a much inferior tanking spec with another pull. (7.5/minute 20m targeted pull). Some people will say, 'Clerics?' well they have rebuke, a 2s stun on 20s cooldown, can aoe threat a mob from a vagisillion meters away, and can spec into a much inferior spec to grab an aoe pull.

Possible Arguement's against it:

Rogues are already too mobile already! - And yet mobs control the situation for a rogue tank far more than the other tank classes.
    Omg that will be OP in pvp! - That is 31 points into a tank tree, no one goes that far unless you want to literally try and tank pvp, heaven forbid a troll bard pulls a few people off the Codex cliff.
    That type of ability is unique to warriors! - Give me a break.
    Every pull is LoS'able if you run far enough away! - Sometimes you don't have space or LoS options.
    I'm sure there will be many more.

Name / Animation thoughts:

'Rift Tear': A small rift opens on the target and engulfs it, it then appears infront of the rogue.
    'Reverse Warp': Simple and easy animation like rift summon, 'blinking' the mob to you.
    'Black Hole': Virtually the same as 'Rift Tear' but a black hole, similar and smaller to the ports at the end of some instances.
    Give me your animation/name ideas! :P
    Last edited by Knightcrawler; 03-26-2012 at 07:26 AM.

RIFT Guide Writer

Funny thing about planar switch is that it's in the riftstalker soul which is the only soul that doesn't need it and it's too high for a dps build to take.

Plane Walker SolitaireSurrender's Avatar

Riftstalker's Orders would go a long way into a QOL upgrade for rogue tanks.

Tack on some deflect itemization items and things are really looking up.
    _____Reversecowbell | R50 Cleric___Lesscowbell | R80 Mage___Moarcowbell | R50 Rogue_____

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    Funny thing about planar switch is that it's in the riftstalker soul which is the only soul that doesn't need it and it's too high for a dps build to take.
    So sad and true
    (_(_)_) -Gambiit- (_(_)_)
    always watching

Champion

I would agree that the mobs tend to control the rogue tank, where the warrior tank gets to control the mobs. Just using mDD for example, I have tanked it on both my rogue and warrior, and the warrior by far has a MUCH easier time at it. Run down, yank the lagging caster to you, etc...continue on.

I for one would love to see a change like this.

31 point rs sucks, nice spot to put a Raid utility skill since the only one we have is to give the raid 1500 empty max health. (it doesnt even heals that 1500 when triggered)

Rift Disciple

So I'm thinking of our rogue tank, and I'm imaging him tanking Akylios, and him using this new move, as he screams, "Get over here!". Hum....it would be interesting seeing Akylios ripped out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowanze View Post
    So I'm thinking of our rogue tank, and I'm imaging him tanking Akylios, and him using this new move, as he screams, "Get over here!". Hum....it would be interesting seeing Akylios ripped out of the water.
    Too funny.....
    _____Reversecowbell | R50 Cleric___Lesscowbell | R80 Mage___Moarcowbell | R50 Rogue_____

This ability would be amazing if finisher for rogues actually did something.

They don't, so its trash. Theres a reason I want utility finishers, so planar switch can be used for epic swapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowprison View Post
    This ability would be amazing if finisher for rogues actually did something.

They don't, so its trash. Theres a reason I want utility finishers, so planar switch can be used for epic swapping.
    I'd still rather have a way to yank mobs to me, CPs are not hard to get as it is.
    Dummy Foundry rocks. CQ blows. Energy is meh. MORE ROLE SLOTS! Burma shave.

Default Come 1.8......

who needs combo points for a 1 finisher rotation that requires 1 combo point to be good (not great)?

you can do:
    Cast Guarded steel
    Cast Phantom Blow
    Cast Planar Strike

And let it spamming on a g15 and go get a soda

I know; kids dont try this at home.. its far from the best, just pointing out that our 31 point talent is made to avoid loosing combo points on the only rotation that we can spare a few. (This is not recommended and Im skipping Annihilate, just to prove a point, since its doesn't offer mitigation)

(I hope I dont get replies from ppl missing the point and just focusing on the rotation)

We brought this up back when they were doing the riftstalker overhaul and it got ignored, basically.

Marginal uses for switch:

1) Move cp's to an add thats about to die for a scavenger heal

2) free oGCD cp

3) for 34bard/32rs pvptroll, move cps from dying target to fresh target during virtuoso for maximum coda spam

4) for tank/bard 10man hybrid builds, use it to get 5cp jeopardy on new mobs / ranged mobs quickly

Can't think of anything else. This ability mattered when rift barrier existed and we had to do all that janko shizz to get our mitigation up - I haven't used it in months.
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

Quote Originally Posted by ShazzamCrucia View Post

Can't think of anything else. This ability mattered when rift barrier existed and we had to do all that janko shizz to get our mitigation up - I haven't used it in months.
    Completely agreed, it had a purpose when I used to pull mobs via - Splinter Shot>Shadow Blitz>Planar Switch to get my buffs up.

Now there is no arguing it is a completely useless point, why on earth would a 31 point ability, keep in mind 31 and 51 are supposed to be great points in trees, be so horrible. Honestly I would be happy if they changed it to anything at all that I would use all the time, but I think my suggestion is a very very good option for that change and is something that RS could really use. It is a QoL change sure but more than that it's really making us more viable.

How many times have u pulled a big pack in HK and a mob chases after that cabalist who can't hold thier load for 3 seconds, when you taunt that loose mob and it has a snare on it, and it doesn't even get back to you within 3 seconds and aggros onto some other random person. Warriors with sergeant's don't have that issue.

There is no reason trion and Allion couldn't seriously consider this.. a change that improves tanking but doesn't make us OP, doesn't conflict with PvP, and makes a useless 31 pointer useful.
    (_(_)_) -Gambiit- (_(_)_)
    always watching

Quote Originally Posted by Knightcrawler View Post
    Completely agreed, it had a purpose when I used to pull mobs via - Splinter Shot>Shadow Blitz>Planar Switch to get my buffs up.

Now there is no arguing it is a completely useless point, why on earth would a 31 point ability, keep in mind 31 and 51 are supposed to be great points in trees, be so horrible. Honestly I would be happy if they changed it to anything at all that I would use all the time, but I think my suggestion is a very very good option for that change and is something that RS could really use. It is a QoL change sure but more than that it's really making us more viable.

How many times have u pulled a big pack in HK and a mob chases after that cabalist who can't hold thier load for 3 seconds, when you taunt that loose mob and it has a snare on it, and it doesn't even get back to you within 3 seconds and aggros onto some other random person. Warriors with sergeant's don't have that issue.

There is no reason trion and Allion couldn't seriously consider this.. a change that improves tanking but doesn't make us OP, doesn't conflict with PvP, and makes a useless 31 pointer useful.
    I approve of this message.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Gynxz View Post
    31 point rs sucks, nice spot to put a Raid utility skill since the only one we have is to give the raid 1500 empty max health. (it doesnt even heals that 1500 when triggered)
    Oh oh oh, this ^^^^ oh this^^^^. I mean wth, if I'm going to use an ability that gives me 1500 extra hp for (15? sec) then I'm going to use it when I think I'm going down for the count to prevent death and I sure as hell want the full 1500hp, not just a place holder saying I have 1500 extra empty hp. WTH. That would be like saying you get an extra bottle of soda free!!!! (But its an empty one....)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast