+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hard to find a reason to play anything but MM in PVP

Plane Walker

Default Hard to find a reason to play anything but MM in PVP

With MM I can fan out and cause massive support damage. I can kill from really far away and my damage is comparable to my melee specs.

With assassin, I go in and mostly get laughed at because bleeds don't work at high levels as far as actually killing someone goes.

With NB, I get some kills, but I end up feeling like a squishy DPS warrior, and get killed far more than I kill, mostly because the way matches go, everybody groups up and to be in melee range means you have to be right next to about 10 people that want to kill you.

The main thing is the dps. It really is comparable between MM and melee, so why give up the range advantage?

I'd be fine with this situation if I actually enjoyed playing MM. Unfortunately, I don't really. I just want to be as effective with my melee specs as I am with MM when it comes to actual kills and actual contribution to warfronts.

I use Assasin/MM/RS in pvp and do very well. I also use HK 4-piece assassin crystal so the bleeds help a lot more. With my PvP source machine and HK 4-piece i am sitting at about 900 valor which i feel is pretty good considering the damage buff i get from the crystal.

my 2cents

I play MM when there's too much ranged crap going on but most of the time I use 51NB, and unless my team is being farmed at respawn I get way more killing blows than deaths.
    Imo 51NB has a burst MM dont have, it's also more risky thus more rewarding, at least to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanel32 View Post
    A little sexism each day keeps the bikini's at bay.. nothing to see here folks.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlebomb View Post
    I'd be fine with this situation if I actually enjoyed playing MM. Unfortunately, I don't really.
    Looks like you found a reason not to play it.

Plane Walker

How massive is you support damage?

Plus it's all fun to play MM until you see that nb/rs coming your way. (well the good one that doesn't try to put on purge able buffs nor waste every port.)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlebomb View Post
    The main thing is the dps. It really is comparable between MM and melee, so why give up the range advantage?
    Melee rogues deal way more damage in PvP. Assasine and nightblade builds have way higher output compared to the typical MM.

On Codex for example a melee rogue with decent selfheal and defensive options can better go for objectives and handle 1vX situations. A MM has absolutely no chance without his team in his back.
    BEST ROGUE EU

Rift Chaser

Because there isn't one in PvP, or PvE (DPS).

MM is broken and overpowered, but Trion doesn't seem to give a ****.

51 MM or ****.

Champion

I eat MM, good reason for not playing one?

"A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn..".

There's lots of reasons to play other builds besides MM. NB-Sins do very well in pvp. 51sins can take out soft targets so I guess they're OK, they destroy me as a MM when I meet them in pvp.

Essentially though... any build with a healing debuff should do OK. RS+healing debuff variants are probably the best non-MM builds.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Ascendant

IMO, MM is the weakest of the rogue builds. Sure, in Scion with protection and heals you can put up big numbers, but the situations where MM is optimal are less than the melee builds.

Moreover, MM simply is not a very good 1v1 spec. Warriors and rogues will just keep teleporting to you and eat you alive (depending how on close you were when you engaged them, but if they ever catch up to you, it's over). Yes, I know some people out there do well with MM no matter what, but by no means does that mean it is the best rogue soul. Besides, the number of people who play it very well I can count on one hand (no, I don't put myself there. I am OK, but I admit MM is not my best spec).

I use a couple of NB variants as well as 51 sin and am almost always top kills in the WF. I routinely out DPS most of the MM (and yes I can do it without using RS builds).

TL;DR

To say that nothing but MM is viable is a complete and utter falsehood.

melee > mm

lgw

MM > all
    use: 44 MM / 14 Rng / 8 RS, stack Valor & Hit

Any and every team 5v5 match we play reiterates that point.

As cherry topping, in 1v1 I...
    * lose to high burst stealth specs (deep Sin, not tested vs 44+ NB)
    * draw on full PVP tanks and top notch played and geared Wardens / Trollicars
    * beat everything else
    (NB: Abilty to kite required.)

Other DPS builds that still have merit to exist:
    * Stealth specs (for tactical reasons like Vault, also somewhat burst)
    * Noobstalker (in-your-face, AOE heal debuff, tanky needs)
    ... plus o/c Bards and runners.

Ascendant

nb/rs has way more survivability as any warrior. (some less burst though). MM is VERY squishy and only viable in a good group with enough melees in.

When i PUG i mostly do MM though cause its fun to kill from behind In Premade i decide on how many melees we have if we have a mage strong premade i go mostly nb cause it absorbs damage really well and give mages the time to kill things.

lgw

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    MM is VERY squishy and only viable in a good group with enough melees in.
    You're doing it wrong.
    Last edited by lgw; 02-27-2012 at 06:36 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    You're doing it wrong.
    no, mm that i kill in dozens with my nb are doing it wrong obviously

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast