+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Level 12 marksmanship: SHOCKED by how much better guns are.

Soulwalker

Default Level 12 marksmanship: SHOCKED by how much better guns are.

Hi guys, I just started playing this game recently (about 3 weeks ago) I have just 1 character (mage 43) and I started a rogue yesterday which I wanted to play as a hunter.

All was going well, figuring out the class, spec, having fun etc.. all untill I got my first gun, and WOW was I blown away by how much better they are compared to bows.

It's like the whole class was meant to be played with a gun instead of a bow, everything is so much better; because you have no travel time combat flows perfectly. You can kill mobs in seconds because how fast you can connect your moves together, that's just awesome.

Now, the thing that makes me worried is that I think this game is very very well thought-out gameplay wise and I'm really shocked that a game that's been out for a year now and that's been this well crafted has let something as big as this slip.

I mean, has this problem been adressed before, I'm guessing it probably has right?

Why not make shots do their damage has soon as you hit a skill for bows (regardless of the animation) like they do for guns? I mean it's already the case with combo points I noticed you get your combo point as soon as you hit the skill you don't have to wait for it to hit the target, so why does the damage need to wait for the travel time?

Quote Originally Posted by Sureau View Post
    Hi guys, I just started playing this game recently (about 3 weeks ago) I have just 1 character (mage 43) and I started a rogue yesterday which I wanted to play as a hunter.

All was going well, figuring out the class, spec, having fun etc.. all untill I got my first gun, and WOW was I blown away by how much better they are compared to bows.

It's like the whole class was meant to be played with a gun instead of a bow, everything is so much better; because you have no travel time combat flows perfectly. You can kill mobs in seconds because how fast you can connect your moves together, that's just awesome.

Now, the thing that makes me worried is that I think this game is very very well thought-out gameplay wise and I'm really shocked that a game that's been out for a year now and that's been this well crafted has let something as big as this slip.

I mean, has this problem been adressed before, I'm guessing it probably has right?

Why not make shots do their damage has soon as you hit a skill for bows (regardless of the animation) like they do for guns? I mean it's already the case with combo points I noticed you get your combo point as soon as you hit the skill you don't have to wait for it to hit the target, so why does the damage need to wait for the travel time?
    Why does the sun come up? Or are the stars just pin holes in the curtain of night, who knows? What I do know is that because you were born different, men will fear you... try to drive you away like the people of your village. You must learn to conceal your special gift and harness it until the time of the gathering.

So far as I'm aware, it has never been "addressed." It just is that way. I always preferred bows for aesthetic reasons as much as anything. Then I got a gun.

Qseyu: Rogue Rank 8--er--40 ... Jhiqi: Mage Level 50
    [4/4 GP 4/4 DH 5/5 GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 ROTP 3/11 HK]
    Firebrand <High On Fire>

<High On Fire> is recruiting for our raid team. Visit us to apply.

I actually dislike that I am forced to choose a gun if I want to maximize DPS and Utility. I prefer the look of the bow and seeing my LoS to target with the arrows.

But this has been discussed ad nauseam. Don't see it changing. Ever.

As a newly Lv 50 almost-pure Marksman, I agree. I love my guns, I do, but I would want bows to be just as effective as a ranged weapon.

Rift Disciple

I like guns for aesthetic and lore reasons as well as their utility. I'm a Defiant; Defiants like technology, ergo they build guns. If you're a Guardian, of course, it's a different matter.

you guys DO KNOW that both Guns and bows have a Global CD? The only real difference is PvP since #1 Bow pains a pretty traceable line to the source and #2 In PvP timing is way more important.

Unless you have a boss going immune or changing stances a lot, the difference wont be noticeable. I think "WOW I was blown away" is a bit to exaggerated.

The difference is a fraction of a second for PvE. If you are in a raid fight that lasts 5 minutes, throughout the whole fight, you'll have a fraction of a second delay ONCE. Everything else is compensated by GCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Gynxz View Post
    The only real difference is PvP since #1 Bow pains a pretty traceable line to the source
    This is actually true in PVE as well. I was killed by a boss who hated the pink line from from Lighting Fury. Instant aggro and NPC text messages saying "MAN UP NANCY AND GET A GUN! STUPID PANSY *** BOW USER.". Next pull I switched to a gun and he left me alone since he couldn't see the pink "tracer". It was surreal.
    Telarans on class balance: Rock is overpowered. Paper is fine. - Scissors

When I had mostly expert gear and a couple of raid pieces, when I upgraded from my 30-ish dps bow to the 41dps "warrior" gun from GP, I actually lost like 200 dps single target, despite no other gear changes, latency issues or skill priority changes.
    Then later I got the bow from Darkening Deeps (36dps), and I actually [i]gained[/b] dps.
    It confused the hell out of me.
    Though I much prefer the look and feel of bows to guns, so yay!
    I doubt I'll go back to a gun again.

I'm probably going to just walk away from this particular topic.

All of the bow v gun arguments have been had over many, many pages of ridiculously exaggerated arguments.

I use a gun, but only because the current top end relic is a gun.

The PvP and PvE arguments against the bow are ridiculous on quite a few level, but I've neither the patience nor the fortitude to go through it all again.

And it'd just bait the trolls anyway.

+ Reply to Thread