+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why is gearing a fresh 50 rogue tank so damn hard.

General of Telara

Default Why is gearing a fresh 50 rogue tank so damn hard.

My Rogue has been 50 for a week now and Im still not allowed to do any experts because I cant get to 100 toughness. Im not rich so I cant buy the 130p crafted items that I need so just been wasting my time doing regular level 50 dungeons, which have horrendous queue times because it seems everyone just buys full epics off the AH and skips them.

Also warriors have it easy as hell on getting gear as a fresh 50 to be able to tank experts as theres tons of cheap epic gear with toughness on it for sale. Then I look for rogues and they have 2 pieces. The BP which is 135p and the shoulders which are 125p and Im about 200p away from being able to afford those. Oh well guess my only option is queue as support/DPS and roll need on tanking leather and if the rogue tank *****es tell him to blame trion for them not adding enough rogue tank patterns for crafters.

Rift Disciple

This has always been a problem for rogues. The amount of gear available for us is minimal at best and then it's always a rare drop off mobs. Just get the mark gear.

Just a as DPS and supporta you said and roll on the gear. Or save your plaques and buy the gear. I need even if not on that spec, if I need it. If not I pass do I have never got much flack for it as I have usually possessed on several pieces before the tank piece drops.

Rift Disciple

which is funny cause we cannot get rogues to take tanking gear in the last two guilds I was in. we just break it all.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Phillthy View Post
    which is funny cause we cannot get rogues to take tanking gear in the last two guilds I was in. we just break it all.
    This. You should go find a guild - a crafted set is done within two days, the augments sit on the guild bank and rot and the other stuff is crafted easily - in our guild nobody cares about the 8.4 plat for the daily-mat anymore, I guess this is similar around the world

I'd say that the crafted-set in the AH is only bought for twinks by people who don't care if they could have spent 60 plat and asked 10 people for crafting help or they spent 160 plat and are done with it.

Itemisation for Rogue tanks in the lower tiers of content is just horrible. You can try the Chronicles as well, and IIRC there's a non-epic set of Riftstalker gear you can use to get in or near t2 content that's much cheaper to make: it's what a lot of us used back when that was cutting-edge content and Riftstalker required ability-enhancing (possibly illicit) drugs to play.
    Last edited by Ianto Jones; 02-25-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Champion

Umm for me it was quite different. Day 1 level 50, full crafted 1.4 gear and 1.5 ring.. 150ish toughness
    Day 2, GP+DH - 200+ Toughness, Day 3 GSB-ROS trinkets,and other random gear. Day 4-7 farm ISS, Week2 Tanking HK.. its simple if you have the resources..

If you cant make the items.. then level the craft. I never leveled a class (all 4 lvl 50) without going thru and leveling the crafts i need to make the best possible gear to ding 50 in. I had 300 artificer last spring b4 i dinged 50. that brought in tons of plat.. (powerstones) just find a cash source and exploit and you can pretty much have any sellable gear you want.
    Last edited by istrikeanywhere; 02-25-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Rift Master

Queue as support, run a bunch of experts or even normals and you're done in a few runs.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
    My Rogue has been 50 for a week now and Im still not allowed to do any experts because I cant get to 100 toughness. Im not rich so I cant buy the 130p crafted items that I need so just been wasting my time doing regular level 50 dungeons, which have horrendous queue times because it seems everyone just buys full epics off the AH and skips them.

Also warriors have it easy as hell on getting gear as a fresh 50 to be able to tank experts as theres tons of cheap epic gear with toughness on it for sale. Then I look for rogues and they have 2 pieces. The BP which is 135p and the shoulders which are 125p and Im about 200p away from being able to afford those. Oh well guess my only option is queue as support/DPS and roll need on tanking leather and if the rogue tank *****es tell him to blame trion for them not adding enough rogue tank patterns for crafters.
    Queue times (at least in my server cluster) are very fast - especially when queued as a tank, but I queue with 4 different characters, in all roles, and rarely have a problem. I can only imagine that you queue specifically as dps, which would account for the times you're suggesting. As such, the problem isn't people by-passing the content, it's likely you (and others) refusing to take on more pivotal roles in a group setting.

Warriors have it easy? Same boat as Rogues - perhaps you should do your research. There are quest items, Planar goods items, and very cheap crafted items that can all let you reach the toughness cap with ease.

I did it back in 1.0 and 1.1 when it was actually hard, surely you can when the quality of gear available is much higher, and the number of ways to attain it so varried.

Also - perhaps your server doesn't run them, but GDKPs are an excellent way to gear a character. I run 4 of them each week on Seastone, and have geared people that come in with blues and greens to the point they're nearly full raid purples.

If you can't gear up, that's not Trion's problem, its your own for not seeking out alternatives to "handouts" from the devs.

If you don't have 500 plat to drop on 1.6 crafted gear the easiest method is to designate two souls, one for 51mm and the other for 51 bard. Just queue as dps/assist to accumulate plaques along with boss/trash drops.

Soulwalker

Run a few normals using lfg dailies. Seems like a horrendous waste of your first x7 daily quests, but that should get you enough for a piece or two - just avoid wasting PA on the legs. Grab whatever leather drops at the same time.

After that, you should have enough gear that combined with a RS/NB/BD hybrid solo spec (others probably work too, I just find this spec particularly strong) will allow you to solo spam chronicles with ease.

After a few more drops, you will have enough gear that allows you to solo the EI questline for awesome legs - a few hours later, you're good to go. The legs are 50 toughness alone, if you have no other bits by then, you're just unlucky...

OK, so it may take 2-3 days unless you hammer it, but it's worth the slog when you get there.

RIFT Guide Writer

Epic Water Saga and EI storyline.

Both guive you fantastic gear that will get you ready for tanking experts. In fact it will even least you through early raiding.
    Rumpunch (W) - Rumedy (C) - Chaos Inc of Laethys
    Rumbelina (W) - Rummstein (R) - Rumic (M) - Seraphim of Laethys
    My warriors be mostly using......

Do Chronicles ->
    Get the cheaper crafted gear, some of it can be made for only a few platinum ->
    Since you're already doing normal dungeons, do normal AP and start the water saga questline ->
    Do Storyline stuff in EI ->
    Put 15 or 20 toughness rune on chest ->
    Do T1s and T2s and get more gearz

Believe me, it's much easier to gear up as a rogue tank now than it was before they started implementing rogue tank gear in dungeons, you used to not find any until GSB. This was also before there was really any crafted toughness gear to speak of.
    Last edited by jeffadkins51; 02-27-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    When reading this post, let it be known, it was meant to be heard in a non-threatening, non-demanding way. Thank you.

~Akylios Down 12/13/11~ ~Akylios Down in 2nd raid group 2/11/2012~

Rift Chaser

Get your dps up and do a drown halls or GP runs every week they have a few pieces of tank gear that drop ofter; GSB/ROS I started tanking because I was the only rogue willing to take the tank gear in my guild so I started tanking by default because early on I got more tank rogue gear than dps gear. My suggestion as people have stated you can get into a guild or pug GSB/ROS most rogues pass on tank gear and you will be able to gear up quickly as a tank.

Telaran

Honestly, a fresh tank should not be expecting to go right into experts. Trion has vastly improved the way to get tanking gear since release as mentioned in this thread.

There are options if you are in a guild or loaded with plat, but most people have to work for a few weeks to get the gear they need.

As of 1.7, doing regular 50 dungeons, chronicles, and invasions/instant adventures are good ways to start gearing up. There is a 20 toughness lesser essence that can help in the short term as well as 20 toughness buff to chest.

Good luck in your tanking!!

Malar

P.S. Don't forget you need 100 hit too, even as a tank for experts. I am sure you know that. You can get a lot of hit from weapon enchants as well as leg/helm enchant.
    Shortround the Vanquisher: member of Havoc on Keenblade
    Malar the Retired!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast