+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Riftstalker OT on Akylios Fight.

Default Riftstalker OT on Akylios Fight.

So, my guild is considering having me replace our third tank on Akylios, since he's also the guilds best dps. I don't really mind, since I just want the squid to die and I've always found tanking fun.

My question is:

Where do I get 6 water resist endurance/dex lessers from. Only 2 from vendor, I assume 1 from the raid rift.

RIFT Guide Writer

Don't worry about water resist as tank. You are mostly tanking physical damage while taking water damage just from the same mechanics as the rest of the raid and those don't really hurt a tank. So just use your best overall tanking sigil. Those 3 tank essences with water resist are very good though so no reason to not use them. The other 3 can be whatever, I like fire ones since they have dex and endurance.

No need to focus on resist gear as a tank imo. Most of the damage you take is physical and you better have max hp/mitigation. I have only few water resist lessers on my focus machine as a tank and the water damage I was tanking while being late to run from mechanics on few attempts was not that significant. My tanking core is 3 water / 3 fire lessers because they have really nice dex/endurance.
    Last edited by Sharpshooter; 02-21-2012 at 04:16 AM.
    Sharp - Moirae - Icewatch - EU
    http://moirae.guildlaunch.com
    Balaenae nobis conservandae sunt!

We use rogue offtanking for our weekly Akylios kills, don't stress the water resist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Rogue tanks are superb at tanking jonaru, with the run speed you get after blinking he cant hit you

The trick to OTing Akylios as a rogue is correct use of Shadow Warp. Since you can't port to the Lashers directly, that is your best way of getting to them asap with Planar Vortex up.

And ya, WR is not needed.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Just remember the speed buff after shifting can carry you too far in terms of momentum and toss you over the edge, be careful of that.

If you get caught in a wave, shifts aren't gauranteed to save you. If you can shift to a target outside the wave that's safely far back on the platform, that's your best option, but its still not 100%!

Flashback is a pretty solid option if you really screwed up and couldn't dodge. Just need to control your memory capture location.
    Sharp - Moirae - Icewatch - EU
    http://moirae.guildlaunch.com
    Balaenae nobis conservandae sunt!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    Flashback is a pretty solid option if you really screwed up and couldn't dodge. Just need to control your memory capture location.
    ^this. I pretty much ignore waves when im tanking. I just drop a mem capture point where i am standing and let the wave take me away, then flashback. Wave handled.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

i usually just eat the wave and instantly teleport back onto jorn, since thats what im usually tanking. i find the targeted teleports are more reliable than flashback or other options.

If you're tanking near an edge Flashback can definitely fail. Many times you hit it, and you still have the wave 'effect' on you, so you take another knockback and in you go.

You'll especially notice this if you tank Akylios and can't get too far away.

All I'm saying is don't depend on the teleports 100%.

Thanks for the tips guys. Keep em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebron View Post
    If you're tanking near an edge Flashback can definitely fail. Many times you hit it, and you still have the wave 'effect' on you, so you take another knockback and in you go.

You'll especially notice this if you tank Akylios and can't get too far away.
    Ianto: no worries, I'll just por-
    Akylios: OM NOM NOM NOM

Shadowlander

While we're on the subject, what sort of tanking composition/roles do you guys recommend?

We've been on Akylios for the last few weeks and got to phase 3 fairly quickly with our best team available but since we've been having to rotate people due to IRL but still seeing phase 3 some of the time.

We're usually 2 warrior tanks and a rogue tank (me). With the exception of tonight where two of our warrior tanks couldn't make it so the third was a cleric tank (but really not experienced at all).

Anyway, we normally have our most geared tank on Jornaru in a cheap *** WOTM spec, with me and the other warrior on adds in p1. In phase 2 I'm handling gathering adds by lashers while the two warriors alternate on them. Once the adds die in phase 3 I'm sort of just derping about not doing much unless one of them gets gibbed and I need to pick something up, by which point we're usually screwed anyway. We haven't lived through phase 3 long enough to really get a good feel of what'll happen in pahse 4 it but the idea is that one warrior takes Akylios (which they have been tanking since Akylios emerges in phase 3) and the other gets Jornaru. Tbh it doesn't quite feel like we're using the three of us the best we could be.

What do you guys normally tank in that fight and what do your other tanks end up doing? I find the adds really chew me up if our dps slacks and we get badly timed add spawns.

Honestly Riftstalker on Akylios makes the most sense imo. If you get an orb, you can Scatter it, and the breaths affect Riftstalker the least. It's rather tense doing it though because you're stuck inside the Akylios model and it's hard to see waves. And they will almost certainly kill you unless you get lucky.

Putting Riftstalker on the Lashers is good too, since you can get to them quickly to avoid accidental deaths.

Riftstalker is probly the poorest suited tank to pick up Apostles, Lashers or Jorn in terms of damage taken, since they hit HARD. I would probly put a War on Lashers, War on Apostles, and you on the other adds in P1-2. Since you are still learning, probly you on Lashers, War on Jorn, War on Akylios in P3-4. Put the stronger War on Jorn.

Another good trick for P2 especially is just port around when adds spawn and hit everything with Planar Vortex and your AoEs. Sometimes adds have a tendency to go loose right away.

If you have 3 tanks, one takes Lashers, 1 takes Jorn, 1 gets Akylios. There really is no more optimal way to do it unless you use 2 tanks only, and I certainly wouldn't do that while learning. You can toss on your DPS weapons and go stalker until Jorn comes down if you really want to optimize. I usually also tab around when I'm not doing anything and interrupt Stingers, every little bit helps.

Try to overheal it as long as you can still make the DPS requirements on Lashers, and just go through it a couple times telling everyone to concentrate on just surviving in P3, and not worry about DPS. Getting good attempts in where you see all the fight is key to beating it.
    Last edited by Hellebron; 02-21-2012 at 02:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast