+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.8 changes: Are they affecting tanking specs?

Telaran

Default 1.8 changes: Are they affecting tanking specs?

I'm about to switch from dps to tanking real soon and I wanted to make sure the tanking builds weren't changing for rogues.

Thanks,

Malar
    Shortround the Vanquisher: member of Havoc on Keenblade
    Malar the Retired!!

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Malar View Post
    I'm about to switch from dps to tanking real soon and I wanted to make sure the tanking builds weren't changing for rogues.

Thanks,

Malar
    The false blade change will cause an adjustment since it won't be worth going for anymore in the bladedancer tree. I think the tank builds will be 51 RS, 8 Ranger and then either 7 bard or 7 bladedancer depending on encounter and personal preference.

Ascendant

As it stands False Blade won't be worth getting for tanks after 1.8 (which is sad since I've been using it for so long we're practically old friends...) so 8 Bladedancer's no longer a good choice; you'll want 7 - at the most. The tiny heal a Riftstalker tank would get from False Blade isn't even worth mentioning.

I'm wondering how much this will impact those who used non-51 Riftstalker tank builds that would rely upon dodging to trigger Turn the Tide.
    Last edited by Kedon; 02-19-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Koe

Quote Originally Posted by Kedon View Post
    I'm wondering how much this will impact those who used non-51 Riftstalker tank builds that would rely upon dodging to trigger Turn the Tide.
    I hate the change because I use 17 BD 44 RS 5 SAB to tank everything.

It's not even like we needed the self-heals.
    Free music! It's legal!
    DISCLAIMER: Some songs may have been taken down.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Koe View Post
    I hate the change because I use 17 BD 44 RS 5 SAB to tank everything.

It's not even like we needed the self-heals.
    I would say a self heal is beneficial but from a different source perhaps. Cannibalizing the only tank synergistic soul is an ill thought out way to get one in my opinion.

Telaran

I think riftstalker needs a heal similar to cleric when you take a critical hit or something, not something that uses 5 combo points.

Malar
    Shortround the Vanquisher: member of Havoc on Keenblade
    Malar the Retired!!

Rift Disciple

Rift Scavenger should heal a % of our health every time we score a critical hit while planar guard is active. Since our health in tank mode is naturally higher, the power will be better for tanks, while not as great for stalkers (but still there). It will be a nerf in pvp since we cant just kill a target with 5 cp and gain back a ton of health but it will be more of a persistant healing effect that will be a overall boon for RS (especially tanks).

False Blade should go back to receiving its 5% dodge (really our avoidance isnt that great, even with it) and instead proc a heal (based off your total % of health + some AP scaling) every time you dodge or parry.

Planar Switch just needs to die. Its been a year and I think I recognized this power as 'useless' day one when looking at the talent calculator.

Whats odd is that RS tanking is so boring right now that it has space to add a finisher for healing but replacing one utility finisher for a really bad hot is just sad.

Why not do that to "Rift Scavenger: a Finisher that heals for XXX in 8 seconds. If the target dies, the rogue will heal for XXX per combo point."

That way it will be a talent useful for TANKING, not just farming/pvp. In a Raid, Rift S. can heal you for 9K after a 4min fight. Unless they make an achievement "no one can die 1-10 secs after the fight ends", its useless for raid encounters right now.

Personally I think they are making people take Rng/Bard as sub soulsd because they don't feel like fixing the HP disparities right now ^^

A 2 for 1 Bandaid!

Shadowlander

the reason... i think they have done this Bull **** move to nerf avoidance tankin which is why u take a rogue tank tbh.. is becuause ppl like myself that got about 90% avoidance without CD's and still maintain a suffient amount of mitigation to take on the mag hits were almost un-killable in pve instances, thou in raids we still get whacked the F outta us if we stuff up

however with this BULL **** change to Blade dancer i will loose 11% avoidance 10% mititaion ++ 15% dex (as it will no-longer be viable to go that deep into bladedancer) and will relegate all rogue tanks to a 51/** build and make us EVEN more sub par to a decent warrior thank you TRION FOR doing, yet again what scrubs want and they dont even know what the F they talkin bout

pretty much anyone that runs BD of any sort in there tank spec after 1.8 can get auto kicked from the group as u will be more or less useless...oh but we get a heal..yippee
    Last edited by Avadiator; 02-21-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Avadiator,

I understand your frustration, but I must disagree that this was in response to any request or complaint by any Rogue player. No one saw this coming and no one asked for it. This is purely a move by the Devs for reasons we don't understand and probably wouldn't agree with if we did know.

They've reduced the avoidance from BD synergy and compensated with additional mitigation from Improved Guardian Phase.

What should happen is people providing feedback regarding the amount False Blade will heal. Given a % of max HP it would be a nice HOT on the tank, because giving it a fixed amount is just a bad design in the first place is it will have no proper future scaling whatsoever.

This is a trend currently happening across all tanks, the idea to try to get mitigation on around the same level, while keeping the avoidance around the same level as well.

special.guildlaunch.com - Always Recruiting Exceptional Players

Free Rift Strats @ rift-mmorpg.com
    Rogue Class Lead

If this is the case, then we are going to need a serious bump in Reflect to match their Block.

(i.e. Runes, Essences and a Sword/Mace/Dagger Off-Hand that is Parry/Reflect/Armor oriented - a tanking weapon to take the place of the shield).

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebron View Post
    Personally I think they are making people take Rng/Bard as sub soulsd because they don't feel like fixing the HP disparities right now ^^

A 2 for 1 Bandaid!
    That is exactly what there doing, doesn't help the fact that warriors get 15 Health per End PA point (yeah gift is factored in the equation) while Rogues / Clerics are stuck with 9 Health per End PA point (Guardian phase not included in calculation, clerics are in the same boat). This doesn't turn out to be a huge health difference now but if they keep adding PA Tiers it only becomes worst.

Maybe they'll improve false blade so the healing portion is actually based on % max health, who knows.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Muffin911; 02-21-2012 at 07:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread