+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Puandro

Thread: What is the best Ranged DPS build in your opinion.

Soulwalker

Default What is the best Ranged DPS build in your opinion.

Hi Guys,

I am new to Rift (in my first week!), but an old hand at MMO's. I normally play a hunter class or Warloc/Necro type as I love working from range with a pet. Currently, I am lvl 16 Gaurdian Marksman/Ranger/Sabotuer - but im not sure i am investing my points right, or even if this is the right combination of souls for me.
    I tried Marksman/Ranger/Assassin - but wasn't sure on this as it seemed that much of the power from Assassin came from being stealthed and attacking, which if i am fighting with a pet, I just wont be doing.
    Thing is, with my current build i am good at range - but if something gets close - im next to useless and have no close range combat moves to speak of.

Am i missing something? Maybe its in my rotations, but I am wondering if adding in something like Nightblade and removing Saboteur would help me.

Any advice?

Psinic.

Go ranger with leftover marksman 0 assassin for the extra poisin or Bladedancer for the 50% evade cooldown. Use the pig to tank for you.
    Gnarlwood - Belladonna - P50 Rogue
    Seastone - Puandro - P24 Mage
    Im here for the PvE, not the unbalanced subpar PvP.
    Just Waiting...

If you prefer pets you will be sorely disappointed in this game. I can't think of a single pet build from any calling that does comparable DPS to a non-pet build. The closest one is warriors BM build. If you like ranged DPSing ranger will work for leveling, and when you are level 50 with bad gear.

But as soon as you gear up at all you will want to go 51MM at least, and even then you will always do less DPS than melee.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Soulwalker

Well yes ranged dps needs some love but i did 2700 single target dps on genral silgen with 51 ranger with bard buffs only no archon and only lightning glyphs/mighty powersurge, tho it might not beat 51 marksmen both are good dps specs with high utility, neither dps dps but like i said good dps specs. and 2700 on that boss is good with 51 ranger .

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gyle View Post
    If you prefer pets you will be sorely disappointed in this game. I can't think of a single pet build from any calling that does comparable DPS to a non-pet build. The closest one is warriors BM build. If you like ranged DPSing ranger will work for leveling, and when you are level 50 with bad gear.

But as soon as you gear up at all you will want to go 51MM at least, and even then you will always do less DPS than melee.
    Everything is correct except the melee snip. No melee build will touch MM until 4set HK, and even then, it's only a bit ahead on SOME of the fights where it can actually be used.

There's some good rogue leveling guides in the Guide Section. From memory, you want to be heavy MM until you can actually get the beefier pet in the 30's iirc, and then go a heavy ranger setup until you gear up from experts.

In short, the ranger's pets scale TERRIBLY in this game. They're basically as powerful as they get once you hit level 50. They do not change substantially with the incredible gear revolution you yourself will undergo and in so being fall pitifully behind every other proper setup. They're also squishy and like to explode making them even more annoying to deal with.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vylent1 View Post
    Well yes ranged dps needs some love but i did 2700 single target dps on genral silgen with 51 ranger with bard buffs only no archon and only lightning glyphs/mighty powersurge, tho it might not beat 51 marksmen both are good dps specs with high utility, neither dps dps but like i said good dps specs. and 2700 on that boss is good with 51 ranger .
    I would be interested in seeing this parse. Silgen's fight is short enough that a ~70% lucky crit rate could do something like this in my gear. If you've got relics, then that explains everything.

51mm-10rng-5rs. It works in pvp, pve and PA farming. It does it all.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tigolbitties View Post
    Everything is correct except the melee snip. No melee build will touch MM until 4set HK, and even then, it's only a bit ahead on SOME of the fights where it can actually be used.
    You are working with bad melee. Blink Blade out DPS's MM in raid T1 gear, all the way up to HK 2 piece, and Bloodstalker out DPS's MM at any gear level.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Puandro View Post
    Go ranger with leftover marksman 0 assassin for the extra poisin or Bladedancer for the 50% evade cooldown. Use the pig to tank for you.
    In particular, see the leveling section of the Rogue's Bible:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...gue-bible.html

Rift Disciple

44MM/22RS. nuff said
    BEST ROGUE EU

Rift Disciple

I've seen 44mm/22rs more and more but I'm having trouble seeing how it would compete with 51mm/15 ranger

51mm gains
    silver tipped munitions for 10% damage after stacks,
    5% persistent crit,
    6% weapon damage,
    5% total damage (bestial fury),
    piercing shot spam (better dps than a swift shot),
    shadow fire (15% weapon damage).

RS nets you
    5% ap
    15% crit for 10 seconds after porting
    20% damage for 10 seconds after porting

Porting eats up a gcd, moves you near the boss, and is another thing to juggle. Even then..I dont see it matching.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceybow View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am new to Rift (in my first week!), but an old hand at MMO's. I normally play a hunter class or Warloc/Necro type as I love working from range with a pet. Currently, I am lvl 16 Gaurdian Marksman/Ranger/Sabotuer - but im not sure i am investing my points right, or even if this is the right combination of souls for me.
    I tried Marksman/Ranger/Assassin - but wasn't sure on this as it seemed that much of the power from Assassin came from being stealthed and attacking, which if i am fighting with a pet, I just wont be doing.
    Thing is, with my current build i am good at range - but if something gets close - im next to useless and have no close range combat moves to speak of.

Am i missing something? Maybe its in my rotations, but I am wondering if adding in something like Nightblade and removing Saboteur would help me.

Any advice?

Psinic.
    No offense, but you are level 16. You don't really have enough points to hybridize a build, in my opinion.

I would recommend that you go 100% in Ranger, if you dig pets, and have Riftstalker (for Shadow Shift) and Bladedancer (for Sidesteps) as your other souls.

So, you should look something like this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MNpV.VMsf.V.-5

This will give you some defensive abilities for tight situations or unwanted adds and give you decent overall damage. As you move up in level you can swap out Riftstalker for MM.
    Last edited by Mellik; 02-20-2012 at 10:49 AM.

In all honesty, when I had no idea what the hell I was doing, I leveled from 20 to 34 mostly with a Bard/Ranger/Nightblade hybrid that was jacked up as hell, but was very effective at killing even elites in my level range.

+ Reply to Thread