+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Is Assassin totally useless now in pvp?

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default Is Assassin totally useless now in pvp?

    Used to seem like a good build. Not sure what the f**k happened in 1.7, but it seems horrible now. The way they nerfed Slip Away makes it almost useless since people just AoE the area and kill you anyway. I used to like it, now all I seem to see are Rifts with NB or BD.

    I had decent damage before, now I can't even take down a mage before it's 'squirrel, nuke nuke nuke dead'

  2. #2
    Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    577

    Default

    It's the same as it ever was (great 1v1 and horrible group v group).

    You have two CC breaks and easy access to a third with shadowstalk. Pyro/dom ("squirrel, nuke nuke nuke dead" spec) is one class a good assassin will absolutely destroy.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9

    Default

    if something Sin is better in 1.7

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Coast of USA
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Bluesky: SIN / RS / NB
    Server: Seastone
    Faction: Guardian

    There is nothing better than being in perma stealth mode and blinking behind the above mentioned Pyro / Dom or whomever and melting them in about seven (7) seconds. By that time your perma stealth is just about back up. SIN is completely viable and yes, group vs group is challenging but manageable and I just hit 41.

    My best recent kill was when I just hit 40, got into my second or third WF (Codex) and blinked behind a level 47 non Mage and melted him. I cant speak to his ability or gear set but the fact that he was seven levels above me made me feel pretty good. I will have to see what the environment is like post 50.

    Go to the Rogue "Bible" and Read, Learn, Adapt, Execute.

    -G

  5. #5
    Sword of Telara Calibrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gueneveve View Post
    Bluesky: SIN / RS / NB
    Server: Seastone
    Faction: Guardian

    There is nothing better than being in perma stealth mode and blinking behind the above mentioned Pyro / Dom or whomever and melting them in about seven (7) seconds. By that time your perma stealth is just about back up. SIN is completely viable and yes, group vs group is challenging but manageable and I just hit 41.

    My best recent kill was when I just hit 40, got into my second or third WF (Codex) and blinked behind a level 47 non Mage and melted him. I cant speak to his ability or gear set but the fact that he was seven levels above me made me feel pretty good. I will have to see what the environment is like post 50.

    There is a huge difference between <Level 50 and being level 50. I would go as far as saying it practically a different game. This is not an apples to apples comparison.



    Go to the Rogue "Bible" and Read, Learn, Adapt, Execute.

    -G

    Get to level 50 first before posting again.
    Where's the Auction House to buy more DPS for my cleric?

  6. #6
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    27

    Default

    I am a rank 40 that uses 2 sin builds both are totally viable and melt people 51sin 15mm or 12mm 33sin 21 rs i have said it many times apply jagged strike,puncture then impale after that start your rotations and kill. anyone who says different doesen t use thier bleeds or the right rotations and finishers. with the 33sin 12mm 21 rs u can get up to 45% damage reduction on top of your valor
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dR.VckfzRzz.-5
    there with this at rank 40 fully geared i have 45%physical damage reduction and and 33%on the rest . 40% ap increase 44%damage increaese for the first 15 secs then 29% another 15% on savageblow and final blow from behind u get rapid fire shot which is the best finisher for the rogue u have an extra 15% damage reduction for 15 secs outta stealth 15% crit increase and an extyra 10%on savage strike which has me critting at 65% with savage strike you also get full mobility and the best part when the **** hits the fan put on guardian phaze hit strange brew and heroic healing tonic then slip away come out using bleeds and get back into the fight .
    Last edited by wickedluck; 02-17-2012 at 09:29 AM.

  7. #7
    Champion ShazzamCrucia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    572

    Default

    For max effectiveness I also suggest using the 4pc HK crystal - seriously I've never seen people melt so fast. 51sin-15bd (I like deadly danced assassinates and serp ofc). Another ok build I run is 32sin-16nb-18rs. You give up reduced cooldown on shifts but you get fell blades.



    edit- and yeah heavy sin is more of a ganking build. Codex flags, disrupting stone runners in scion, maybe ganking the lone warden-turtle in library. In the heavier heads-up fights you're better off in MM imo.
    Last edited by ShazzamCrucia; 02-17-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

  8. #8
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShazzamCrucia View Post
    For max effectiveness I also suggest using the 4pc HK crystal - seriously I've never seen people melt so fast. 51sin-15bd (I like deadly danced assassinates and serp ofc). Another ok build I run is 32sin-16nb-18rs. You give up reduced cooldown on shifts but you get fell blades.



    edit- and yeah heavy sin is more of a ganking build. Codex flags, disrupting stone runners in scion, maybe ganking the lone warden-turtle in library. In the heavier heads-up fights you're better off in MM imo.
    Heavy sin "ganks" best with one other person. That's the issue. Solo ganking with the sin has become pretty difficult to pull off, because it's either you pull it off in the first 8 seconds or so, or you failed the gank. With everyone having break free now, it has become a lot more difficult to pull off, AND that is the only thing a heavy sin specializes in. Could just run a NB/RS build and still gank that person, and have room to fight more and do more.

    That's an issue. Sin needs to be able to kill and kill fast. And be efficient about it. Seems the real assassins are the dps clerics with the sanction heretic, BoJ, bod, nydrras rebuke combo.
    Last edited by DTM300; 02-17-2012 at 10:34 AM.

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Coast of USA
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calibrex View Post
    There is a huge difference between <Level 50 and being level 50. I would go as far as saying it practically a different game. This is not an apples to apples comparison.





    Get to level 50 first before posting again.
    Did you even read my post? I was speaking from the view point of a level 40 rogue not a 50. My post clearly states that I dont know what its like post 50 and completely, unequivocally (look it up if you dont know what it means), even with ignorance understand that it is completely a different game post 50.

    The Rogue Bible is a good place to start for those of us sub 50.

    How about you read before you post.

    -G
    Last edited by Gueneveve; 02-17-2012 at 11:13 AM.

  10. #10
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gueneveve View Post
    Did you even read my post? I was speaking from the view point of a level 40 rogue not a 50. My post clearly states that I dont know what its like post 50 and completely, unequivocally (look it up if you dont know what it means), even with ignorance understand that it is completely a different game post 50.

    The Rogue Bible is a good place to start for those of us sub 50.

    How about you read before you post.

    -G
    While the second part of his post was definitely a touch snarky, the first part was no doubt merely a statement of fact for you and anyone else reading to keep in mind.

    That being said, Zyzyx's compilation is a great place to start for information, but as you'll soon experience, some things you kinda of have to feel out in person and test in your personal theater.

    Case in point, I typically run a 4X/2X NB/RS...if a 51 Sin opens up on me from stealth, I can tell pretty much instantly if its a R38+, or not. If it isn't, I pretty much can ignore it and go kill something that's actually dangerous. If it is, and it's being played by a skilled, competent player, then I might have a fight on my hands, otherwise it quicky falls into the former category.

    Sin can be potent in the right hands, but it needs some tweaking and polish to really be a good choice for anything other than solo ganking. Energy issues, squishy-ness, and the creepy survivability many souls have (especially at higher gear levels) change the playing field for this soul once you hit the 50 bracket.
    Last edited by RavingLunatic; 02-17-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    ~ Cameela ~
    50 Rogue - Rank 40
    Officer of <Dark Horizon>
    GP 4/4 - DH 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 4/4 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - ID 4/8
    Byriel

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Coast of USA
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RavingLunatic View Post
    While the second part of his post was definitely a touch snarky, the first part was no doubt merely a statement of fact for you and anyone else reading to keep in mind.

    That being said, Zyzyx's compilation is a great place to start for information, but as you'll soon experience, some things you kinda of have to feel out in person and test in your personal theater.

    Case in point, I typically run a 4X/2X NB/RS...if a 51 Sin opens up on me from stealth, I can tell pretty much instantly if its a R38+, or not. If it isn't, I pretty much can ignore it and go kill something that's actually dangerous. If it is, and it's being played by a skilled, competent player, then I might have a fight on my hands, otherwise it quicky falls into the former category.

    Sin can be potent in the right hands, but it needs some tweaking and polish to really be a good choice for anything other than solo ganking. Energy issues, squishy-ness, and the creepy survivability many souls have (especially at higher gear levels) change the playing field for this soul once you hit the 50 bracket.
    Thanks for the reply and insight. After reading several, several posts I am planning on building a 4x NB / 2x RS build. It appears that this is going to be a better fit post 50 assuming that its a good fit for me. The only thing that concerns me a little is the perma stealth which I have grown accustomed to. However this should probably be the least of my worries and as my previous post states I will have to learn to adapt.

    Thanks again,

    -G

  12. #12
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    470

    Default

    As kind of an afterthought...

    Early on into 50 you may want to consider something along the 44MM line. At what your entry gear level is going to be, the NB/RS could be a pain, as it's going to put you in the thick of things in large scale play, and until you accumulate some higher rank gear and solid PvP sigil you are going to be very squishy.

    NB/RS will still be a stellar choice for overland questing or solo PvP, the 44MM will probably maximize your contribution more in large scale fights and Warfronts. Eradicate and VM work just as well naked as in BiS gear, NB/RS not so much.

    Bard is also a great way to contribute at lower gear levels, but one I'd recommend less as to be truly effective it requires some special gear, and it seems that everyone on the opposing side is a music critic these days.

    I sometimes use a "low-Sin" build for PvP that looks similar to this to great effect as well. In the linked build I've moved a few points around from what I use to still give you permanent stealth, which might help ease the transition a tad. I run FB and Leeching for weapon enchants, and stick to the Sin openers then NB CP builders/Finishers. It has a fair bit of resilience, high mobility, a couple defensive CD's, decent burst and sustained damage output, plus heal debuff and some self healing. Food for thought for ya.
    ~ Cameela ~
    50 Rogue - Rank 40
    Officer of <Dark Horizon>
    GP 4/4 - DH 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 4/4 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - ID 4/8
    Byriel

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Assasines are ... situational. I guess this word pretty much sums the intention of the entire soul up. You can choose your targets and pick the weakest one out.

    Sadly assasines are pretty useless in most warfronts - library, blackgarden, port scion.
    BEST ROGUE EU

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Coast of USA
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Hello All,

    Well I built a NB / RS at level 44 and all I can say is wow! After the inital growing pains of getting the macros the way I like them, and adjuting to not having perma stealth the initial burst and sustainability damage is significantly higher than the Sin / RS I was running before and I only have good gear. I have the 2 Twighlights as my Oh Crap! buttons and they more or less replace Slip Away.

    I have an MM build that I use for the WF's that are not suitable for the NB build and that is working well too. Anywhoooo, thanks for all of the posts and advice. I'll keep scavenging the boards for more advice in the future.

    -G

  15. #15
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canadonia
    Posts
    429

    Default

    I'll put it this way: I would rather have an MM or Bard in my team than an Assassin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts