+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hellebron

Thread: Does anyone lay traps during combat?

Soulwalker

Default Does anyone lay traps during combat?

A friend is trying to convince me that the proposed trap change is OP.

*All traps now have no CD, aside from Landmines.

I told him he's mental. There was already a talent called "The Trapper" that did exactly this. There seems to be no point in using a trap short of a setup before combat starts.

I could use my GCD for something that does way more damage and builds a combo point at the same time while on the move. Traps have a bloody cast time so I have to actually stand still. And if they're ranged good luck getting anyone to step in your trap.

There might be the very rare situation where I try to LOS a melee and drop a trap. And it honestly seems the existing 30s cd is already adequate for that.

So is he just being a mental troll? I think sometimes he forgets that OP means overpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Xannon View Post
    A friend is trying to convince me that the proposed trap change is OP.

*All traps now have no CD, aside from Landmines.

I told him he's mental. There was already a talent called "The Trapper" that did exactly this. There seems to be no point in using a trap short of a setup before combat starts.

I could use my GCD for something that does way more damage and builds a combo point at the same time while on the move. Traps have a bloody cast time so I have to actually stand still. And if they're ranged good luck getting anyone to step in your trap.

There might be the very rare situation where I try to LOS a melee and drop a trap. And it honestly seems the existing 30s cd is already adequate for that.

So is he just being a mental troll? I think sometimes he forgets that OP means overpowered.
    The changes that are currently on PTS do not change the state of traps, other than to give them some AP scaling. Otherwise you now do natively what you could with "The Trapper" talent. He might have a point if you could lay multiple traps at once, but you can't.
    Telarans on class balance: Rock is overpowered. Paper is fine. - Scissors

The ONLY time I have ever bothered with traps is in the 5 seconds before a duel starts. And I don't duel as a Sabo too much lol. In actual PvP and PvE, they are pointless wastes of space in the roots and branches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Enaki View Post
    The changes that are currently on PTS do not change the state of traps, other than to give them some AP scaling. Otherwise you now do natively what you could with "The Trapper" talent. He might have a point if you could lay multiple traps at once, but you can't.
    Multiple traps... that brings back the old days of Ragnarok Online and how hunters in that game could stack like 20 explosive traps on top of each other via clever game mechanics and insta-gib a bunch of things. Granted the setup time to do that took like a good minute or two and it was a big "mana" drain doing that too.
    Last edited by Adastra; 02-15-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Soulwalker

Well exactly. Being able to lay multiple traps might be OP. But we can only lay 1 trap at a time and they do way less damage, require target positioning and don't generated combo points at all. So by no definition of the word is this overpowered.

Anyone else remember when spamming Booby trap was absolutely OP AoE damage?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebron View Post
    Anyone else remember when spamming Booby trap was absolutely OP AoE damage?
    wait... its not anymore... darn been doing it wrong i guess...

+ Reply to Thread