+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Worth playing a rogue?

Plane Walker

Default Worth playing a rogue?

I have been playing a rogue at Level 50, good gear, all pvp gear etc, and noticed horrible DPS. Is it worth playing this class? When mages can 4 shot from range and crit for over 2500 and run around with damage absorbers, and cast spells that never miss? Some games actually make you aim and you cant just tab a target and fire away. What about defense? Is there such a thing in this game besides dodge for physical attacks? It really is a total joke. I'm not sure I picked the right class to play. More times than not I get my as* handed to me. Playing a MM is good, but its a spec I really do not have fun playing since it's mostly support and they are just as squishy.

Not a troll post but a real post from the standpoint from someone that has played many pvp games and never seen a game so unbalanced in this aspect.

So is s rogue worth playing?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowboxerz View Post
    I have been playing a rogue at Level 50, good gear, all pvp gear etc, and noticed horrible DPS. Is it worth playing this class? When mages can 4 shot from range and crit for over 2500 and run around with damage absorbers, and cast spells that never miss? Some games actually make you aim and you cant just tab a target and fire away. What about defense? Is there such a thing in this game besides dodge for physical attacks? It really is a total joke. I'm not sure I picked the right class to play. More times than not I get my as* handed to me. Playing a MM is good, but its a spec I really do not have fun playing since it's mostly support and they are just as squishy.

Not a troll post but a real post from the standpoint from someone that has played many pvp games and never seen a game so unbalanced in this aspect.

If the only thing from a class you're looking for to "enjoy" playing is dps then I say no. Mage is yourbest bet and next to it is warrior.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by oakk View Post
    If the only thing from a class you're looking for to "enjoy" playing is dps then I say no. Mage is yourbest bet and next to it is warrior.
    I kinda wanted a toon to run around solo with, but after seeing how it performs on WF I think its not a good idea.. I always played rogues in other games did very well. I am quite surprised at the differences in pvp here.

I understand mages should have high DPS, but they are generally glass cannons cannons in other games. Hit hard, but pretty simple to take out for a rogue. With the DPS and utilities they have it's not the case.

Maybe I'm just attacking the wrong targets.. I really don't know..On my 51 sin, I notice often times I'm hitting less than the base damage of serpent strike, its just not adding up!
    Last edited by Shadowboxerz; 02-14-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Sounds like 38/28 nb/rs is for you. Its what most bad pvpers use.

Rift Master

Are you joking? When you are rank 40 full PvP gear and valor set up no mages will 4 shot you and crit you for 2500 except for 51pyro maybe, but you on the other hand will kill them in 3-4 sec if you get near them. So Yes you picked the right class, Rogue is faar more then viable in PvP and you will notice this too in a near future...
    Rank up, Gear up and you will see what iam talking about, the grass is allways greener on the other side...

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Rottweiler-STi View Post
    Sounds like 38/28 nb/rs is for you. Its what most bad pvpers use.
    I'm not bad at pvp sir, one thing that I know is my fault is I do not use macro's and not a gaming mouse (which i used for other games) still trying to figure out the rogue class before I spend time setting up autoit.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftspell View Post
    Are you joking? When you are rank 40 full PvP gear and valor set up no mages will 4 shot you and crit you for 2500 except for 51pyro maybe, but you on the other hand will kill them in 3-4 sec if you get near them. So Yes you picked the right class, Rogue is faar more then viable in PvP and you will notice this too in a near future...
    Rank up, Gear up and you will see what iam talking about, the grass is allways greener on the other side...
    I have mostly seditioner's/vigilante's gear (Not sure what level pvp gear this is) with 2 keen death bringers..My valor is 800 or 900, vengeance 95

I can take alot of people out as an 51MM/15 Ranger but its not much fun running around spamming fan out or is it much skill involved playing this class except for stripping buffs, snaring..etc
    Last edited by Shadowboxerz; 02-14-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Rift Master

I kinda wanted a toon to run around solo with, but after seeing how it performs on WF I think its not a good idea.. I always played rogues in other games did very well. I am quite surprised at the differences in pvp here.

I understand mages should have high DPS, but they are generally glass cannons cannons in other games. Hit hard, but pretty simple to take out for a rogue. With the DPS and utilities they have it's not the case.

Maybe I'm just attacking the wrong targets.. I really don't know..On my 51 sin, I notice often times I'm hitting less than the base damage of serpent strike, its just not adding up!
    I run around killing things in this build below when i play my Rogue, and i feel more then viable in it...

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....VItoMogMss.-5

Now i wasted enough time on you.

I run around killing things in this build below when i play my Rogue, and i feel more then viable in it...

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....VItoMogMss.-5

Now i wasted enough time on you.
    Heh, this explains quite alot. As a rogue, mages are the most feared class I encounter when I pvp. There's almost nothing you can do to win against a decent mage if your cooldowns aren't up and you are out of consumables. Warriors are a close second as it takes so long to chew through their 10-12k hp and all that armor. Clerics I try to prioritize if they are healing or inquisitors, but if they are one of a few healing clerics I recognize as good, I ignore them as I know I'll never kill them no matter what I do.

Marksman, rogues using specs like the quoted one above, and inquisitors are the squishiest targets so I go for them first most of the time.

In 1.7 I find I am still tabbing around looking for purple bars first.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Ascendant

No mage dies in 3-4 seconds from a rogue if they're wearing any valor at all. Do not feed him misinformation. On the other hand, certain Mage combos can blow you up in 4-5 seconds with 40%+ valor reduction in damage.

Plane Walker

One thing I find a bit ridiculous for any melee class including rogue.. wtf is it with just about every type of toon being able to port/shift around the screen in some form including casters.. I've seen games that allow mages to teleport with a LONG *** cooldown, but 75% of the time any type of toon/class (including warriors I believe) is porting/shifting (whatever) after they are attacked.. a bit stupid IMO.
    Last edited by Shadowboxerz; 02-14-2012 at 02:13 PM.

I have mostly seditioner's/vigilante's gear (Not sure what level pvp gear this is) with 2 keen death bringers..My valor is 800 or 900, vengeance 95

I can take alot of people out as an 51MM/15 Ranger but its not much fun running around spamming fan out or is it much skill involved playing this class except for stripping buffs, snaring..etc
    Your first problem is you're actually using fan out.
    ~Quiescent

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    Your first problem is you're actually using fan out.
    Isn''t a problem, I drop alot of people when they are clustered in groups..My fan out (including bufffs) hits for for 400-700 per shot.

Anyway this thread isn't about MM, I do fine with that.

Isn''t a problem, I drop alot of people when they are clustered in groups..My fan out (including bufffs) hits for for 400-700 per shot.

Anyway this thread isn't about MM, I do fine with that.
    That's great, but that gets healed up instantly by group heals, it's not providing EM or VM, and it doesn't give combo points.

If you're using fan out, you don't do fine with MM. You also said you die to melee DPS, so you don't do fine with MM.
    ~Quiescent

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    That's great, but that gets healed up instantly by group heals, it's not providing EM or VM, and it doesn't give combo points.

If you're using fan out, you don't do fine with MM. You also said you die to melee DPS, so you don't do fine with MM.
    I use ana on specific targets and target fire when I have too, not going to argue about it or explain every little detail on how I play it as this post isn't about MM. I am aware of the combo points not being awarded for it. Anyways back to the original post stop hijacking the thread.
    Last edited by Shadowboxerz; 02-14-2012 at 02:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast