+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thinking of trying raids . . .

Rift Disciple

Default Thinking of trying raids . . .

Hi All--

I've been working the last few weeks to get myself ready to ask for invites to the PUG raids that frequently occur on my server. I've used alot of the advice I got right here in the Rogue's forum and thought I would ask to see if people think I'm ready to try this.

I'm running 51MM 15 sin, which after experimenting with several other specs, including the Ranger / Riftstalker and NB variants, seems to produce the best results with my current gear (a good 100 dps more on the practice dummy).

Stats totally unbuffed:
    Dex 756
    AP 750
    Crit 1051
    Str 401
    Hit 297

I'm not carrying any hit runes--loaded up on dex and AP where possible then crit. Same with Planar Attunement and Source engine--I've got every dex attunement I can find so far--about 9K attunement points invested.

I'm getting a steady 1150 dps on the dummy just using Empowerd shot, Swift Shot, hasted shot, and Deadye. I've been running expert dungeons often to practice playing this build and reliably fire 700-950 dps on boss fights, way more on trash. Today I did CR and shot 876 during the Caduceus fight.

I realize this is not exactly spectacular, but my question is, do you think I'm ready to try the easier raids and slivers, i.e., GSB, DH, GP, and ROS? I don't want to be a drag on the raid, low guy on the dps meter, etc., so I will wait if necessary and practice more. I don't pretend to be a great player or have a ton of talent--I like this build because it is simple to play and gives me a chance to execute on fight mechanics.

I've spent time reading the raid guides on Rift junkies for these raids and do have some idea of what to expect, but of course would be learning the fights.

My next armor grade is Durne's plundering gear, which you get with Marks of Ascension--I've been saving them up, but at just two per dungeon, 14 a week, it's going to be a long time before I get my first couple of pieces. Nothing better than what I have has dropped in the dungeons in multiple run-throughs, so I feel like raiding is going to be key to getting better stuff.

Advice much appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Darkblooded; 02-13-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Rift Chaser

here is the issue you do not want to be using empowered shot unless you have crystal from the raid which means 4 pieces of gear from durnes to make it instant cast so it is a dps loss. Your rotation is everything i would suggest looking at Zyzyx's bible which will help your rotation and your build to help you parse higher

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...gue-bible.html

Now on the Marks when you go into the pug you get 3 marks for boss killed in GSB or ROS. Then their are drops to role on as well that are equivalent level gear as durnes. Of course wpn upgardes etc.

Also i would suggest running 10 mans Drowned Halls and Guild of Prophecy these are great ways to learn fight mechanics, you will earn more marks and the gear drop levels are the same as GSB or ROS
    Last edited by hejtmane; 02-13-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Edit: Disregard.
    Last edited by Shadowprison; 02-13-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Rift Disciple

TY for the advice. I plan to use one of Zyzyx's builds as soon as I can get the ranger crystal (which will require marks). Dropped Empowered shot out of my rotation as you suggest, went back to CR this afternoon and shot 971 on Caduceus, which is still not very awesome but almost 100 points better than last time. A bit of a confidence builder. This forum is great

For starting out make sure you bring a 51bard build to the raid...just in case :P

dps build looks fine for where you are at gear-wise currently
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by ShazzamCrucia View Post
    For starting out make sure you bring a 51bard build to the raid...just in case :P

dps build looks fine for where you are at gear-wise currently
    for bard info, Id look somewhere other than that 'bible'.

Rift Disciple

I have no idea how to play a bard. But I'll do the build and start learning using all the resources around.

bard is pretty easy, just keep the motiffs up, spam cadence for extra healing, and at 5cp do your heal finisher. there are other bard builds out there that allow you to do more dps, but just stick with motiffs and cadence until you learn bard more and you can practice as support in expert dungeons to get a feel for the role. oh and verse of joy everytime it is up during a boss fight.
    Last edited by Luteuel; 02-13-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Isz
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Darkblooded View Post
    I have no idea how to play a bard. But I'll do the build and start learning using all the resources around.
    Use a 51 bard spec for raids.

Keep up motiffs

Rebuff after allies get combat rez

2-3 debuffs on the boss at all times

Verse of Joy after boss hits around 80% and use it every chance after

Heals are a last priority but you will have time for them, use the healing finisher when everything else is fine

On mobs that cast (not bosses) your stun can interrupt rapid fire style to keep them useless, this comes up in DH

Go with a good group to DH and you'll do just fine. DH is the easiest raid.

Your gear and stats seem fine. I am not sure why 15 sin is higher DPS for you, it really shouldn't be, but that is something you can mess around with more later.

If you have looked at the fights on Riftstrats, or read about them on the forums, and you care at all about dragging down your raid you are already 100,000x ahead of most pugs i seem to find for stuff. You seem to have a good attitude, which is something that people too often overlook. A good positive attitude will smooth over any minor DPS issues you may have.

I would say get started. You are better geared than i was when i started raiding, and the same can probably said for the majority of people.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Darkblooded View Post
    TY for the advice. I plan to use one of Zyzyx's builds as soon as I can get the ranger crystal (which will require marks). Dropped Empowered shot out of my rotation as you suggest, went back to CR this afternoon and shot 971 on Caduceus, which is still not very awesome but almost 100 points better than last time. A bit of a confidence builder. This forum is great
    I would strongly suggest you consider trying 51MM/14RNG/1xx or just 51/15 in one of your Roles. With Predatory Soulstone, Shadow Fire adds 100 AP. That's a huge DPS boost you could have right now (or very soon since you can get the 100 Inscribed to buy it quite quickly) even without the instacast bonus from the Blighted Ranger crystal.

As for what you are putting out at present, that's fine for 10-mans. As someone else noted, they're a much quicker source of Marks than Randoms. You won't top the charts but you shouldn't be a drag on the raid, either, once you learn the mechanics.

Qseyu: Rogue Rank 8--er--40 ... Jhiqi: Mage Level 50
    [4/4 GP 4/4 DH 5/5 GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 ROTP 3/11 HK]
    Firebrand <High On Fire>

<High On Fire> is recruiting for our raid team. Visit us to apply.

Sword of Telara

you sound ready. we all gotta make that first initial leap sometime. go for it. at least you are thinking and trying to improve.

moar general non role specific tips:
    consider getting the crafted gear, it can be used for quite a while, till you fill out your Durnes set.
    GET VENTRILLO (or vent as its more commonly called), and only speak on the mic when its necessary.
    Pay attention to raid leader and try and do what they say.
    Dont quibble over loot.
    When you enter the raid say hello to everyone. When its done , thank them for having you. I dont pick up pugs very often but when I do, politeness or lack thereof is probably the MAIN thing i notice and remember about them for next time.
    Have fun and I hope you score some awesome lewts.
    Last edited by Chovie; 02-13-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Rift Disciple

Thanks to all--as soon as I have the next 100 inscribed, I'll retry the ranger build with the soulstone in for Shadowfire. Actually I do have crafted gear now (4-piece Nimble Deathbringer), which is why I think not much was dropping in the expert dungeons that was really any improvement.

I'm going to try an easy raid, and when I do I'll report back and let you know how it went. I figure the worst that can happen is that I'll learn stuff I can use for the next try, lol.

Rift Disciple

Just thought I'd come back and report--last night I was lucky to hook up with a guild that has ROS and GSB on farm status. When I talked to the raid leader I told her what my potential dps was, and she said fine, just don't roll on relic items. I didn't roll on ANY items lol. Just paid attention, listened on vent, and managed not to die any more than anyone else. Also shot in the high 800's to 1000 on bosses and didn't foul up the mechanics as far as I know.

Thanks to all of you for encouraging me--I'm on my way and pretty happy about it. Also, with all the marks from two raids I was able to buy my first piece of the Durne's plundering set.

My favorite part was the critter run in GSB

Some more suggestions:

Try to keep your Deathbringer set intact as long as possible. In my case, I kept three of the Death Bringer pieces (Chest, Shoulders and Ring) and then use the Durnes kit on Head, Feet, Legs and Gloves. This gives me the 4pc bonus for the Blighted Marksman Crystal (Instant Empowered Shot). I then use the Predatory Soulstone for the 100AP bonus on Shadow Fire. This double helping for the bonuses really helps the DPS quite a bit. I usually post around 1.3 to 1.4K Single Target.

A trinket to hunt for to help you bump your DPS is "The Devils Luck". This is another nice boost to DPS when it procs (and it seems to proc quite a bit). This is even better than Maellow's Dice since I don't need to use it for it to proc.

On the subject of Barding; my approach breaks down to the following:

OoC (Out of Combat):

Buffs
    Motifs

Pull:

Motif's (use Renewal AFTER tank gets aggro).

In Combat:

Builder to 5CPs (I use Blast/Shrapnel Charge)
    Coda of Jeopardy
    Motifs
    {compensate for mechanics}
    ...repeat...

Having the Bard role really is a plus when applying for a Pug as you have more utility to offer the raid.

Happy Hunting!
    "Might does not make right... It just makes it possible."

Alekto, Cleric - Eryon, Warrior - Mause, Rogue - Casuane, Cleric

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast