+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Quick Rogue tank question

Default Quick Rogue tank question

What spec do you guys prefer, Riftstalker+bard or Riftstalker+Bladedancer?
    Would the extra Endurance out tank bladedancer? :P
    Last edited by Ytzen; 02-13-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ytzen View Post
    Everyone has their own personal preference. Personally I like Bladedancer. Avoidance>Mitigation.

If you want the best for a per-fight basis, bring both, and switch depending on the fight. But 51/8/7 is overall better imo.
    Last edited by Swiftly; 02-13-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Rift Chaser

I prefer Blade Dancer because when I am doing aoe Twin strike just it flat out fun.

Love the play style plus an extra dodge cool down side step and a +5% dodge buff and if you are doing 5 mans you get a dex buff for more deflect (in raids it is a non issue with the dex buff because of bard buffs)
    Last edited by hejtmane; 02-13-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftly View Post
    Everyone has their own personal preference. Personally I like Bladedancer. Avoidance>Mitigation.
    Minor nitpick here: neither soul gives mitigation. The extra endurance from bard is effective health, which isn't the same thing.

Mitigation reduces the damage that you take (like Bolster in the ranger tree, or deflecting an attack).
    Last edited by Muspel; 02-13-2012 at 01:08 PM.

RS/ranger/bladedancer for primarily phys fights

RS/ranger/bard for magic fights

rs/bard/bladedancer = meh, i dont use it
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

Last edited by Luteuel; 02-13-2012 at 03:06 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Ytzen View Post
    i have 3 tank specs i use
    41RS/17BD/8RG (turn the tide)
    51RS/8RG/7BARD (magic)
    51RS/8RG/7BD (blanced melee/magic)

typically im in "turn the tide" spec for trash pulls and some boss fights, it also just feels more fun as a spec. then the magic mit spec i use on magic only fights where dodge is not possible (except sicaron when im absorb tank, then i just use it for the high HP). the balanced spec is just one that can be used anywhere for fights that are mixed melee/magic.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Minor nitpick here: neither soul gives mitigation. The extra endurance from bard is effective health, which isn't the same thing.

Mitigation reduces the damage that you take (like Bolster in the ranger tree, or deflecting an attack).
    I never said either tree did. I was simply making a generalization that Avoidance>Mitigation.

I have two tank specs,
    51 rift, 12 blade, 3 ranger

and

41 rift, 17 blade, 8 ranger

the 51pt is my all around boss fight spec, and the 41 is my turn the tide based trash/groups of mobs spec
    Beep Beep Ima Jeep@Deepwood http://http://beepbeep.guildlaunch.com
    Asaomar Lv 60 Rogue Tank[Main]-Miniderps Lv 60 Cleric Tank[Alt]-Shederps Lv 60 Mage[Alt]
    Boss Kill videos | My Live Stream
    All T1 Content ClearedGrim Awakening 4/4, Infinity Gate 2/3, Planebreaker Bastion 3/5

Do people not realise how huge a difference Bolster makes?

Default HK Boss Choices

With the 7 bard/8 ranger spec you also get 2% more mitigation because you put 8 in ranger to get 6% instead of 4% with 7 ranger/8 bladedancer

Murdantix-Bladedancer/ranger
    Zilas-Bladedancer/ranger
    Vladmal-Bladedancer/ranger
    Grugonim-Bard/ranger(your tanking 1/3 of the fight so the high hp will help when you lose 10% per Breath)
    Rune King-Bard/ranger(the fight is physical but a lot of magic damage)
    Estrode-Bard/Bladedancer
    Matron-Bard/ranger(even tho twin strike would be nice for adds, the 2% more miti and 10% more hp helps a lot more on 40% and lower)
    Sicaron-Bard/ranger (cant dodge decay)
    Inquisitor-Bard/ranger (3-4k ticks from obliteration beam cant be dodged)
    Inwar-Bladedancer/ranger
    Akylios-Bard/Ranger (just my preference, i like more hp and mitigation for all the magic damage of the fight even though i take huge hits from jorn p4/5)

Wannabe Mage Guide Writer
    6/6 Dragons
    A website for all your Rift needs
    www.riftscene.com

Telaran

39RS/22BD/5Sab is currently the highest physical mitigation spec.

For magical fights you want to go 51RS/8Rng/7Bard.

For "inbetween fights" the magic mitigation spec is probably better, but if you want to make a third tank spec just for those then 51RS/8Rng/7BD will provide a little more dodge and a good defensive cooldown for physical attacks.
    Naesala - 50 Rogue
    Tarya - 50 Cleric
    Penguinator - 50 Warrior
    Arktika - 50 Mage
    <Knights of Moriken> - Raid Leader

I any spec without BD you lose Side Steps. If whatever you are tanking is swinging things at you, there is no more valuable CD in the game. I use Side Steps so often i literally can't stand running bard/ranger because i don't have it.

Bard/Ranger is great for single target spell based bosses, but without Twin Strike you lose a lot of AoE threat and DPS, and you lose Strikeback and Reprisal which are not actually important, but i just like them.

IMO good RS tanking is as much about using your CD's as it is about anything else. Rogue tanks have more and better cooldowns than any other tank in the game, and any spec that loses Side Steps, or doesn't go 51 in RS and loses Scatter the Shadows is missing something from their bag of tricks that i am not willing to give up. Passive mitigation is great, but i like to have the ability to make a decision.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Gyle View Post
    I any spec without BD you lose Side Steps. If whatever you are tanking is swinging things at you, there is no more valuable CD in the game. I use Side Steps so often i literally can't stand running bard/ranger because i don't have it.

Bard/Ranger is great for single target spell based bosses, but without Twin Strike you lose a lot of AoE threat and DPS, and you lose Strikeback and Reprisal which are not actually important, but i just like them.

IMO good RS tanking is as much about using your CD's as it is about anything else. Rogue tanks have more and better cooldowns than any other tank in the game, and any spec that loses Side Steps, or doesn't go 51 in RS and loses Scatter the Shadows is missing something from their bag of tricks that i am not willing to give up. Passive mitigation is great, but i like to have the ability to make a decision.
    Maybe...but the ~8% deflect and ~6% dodge 6%parry I lose for Scatter is just not worth it for physical fights. You still have Planar Refuge, Defer Death, and Side Steps. You can always call for a Healer's Covenant as well so you still have plenty of cards to play.
    Naesala - 50 Rogue
    Tarya - 50 Cleric
    Penguinator - 50 Warrior
    Arktika - 50 Mage
    <Knights of Moriken> - Raid Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    Maybe...but the ~8% deflect and ~6% dodge 6%parry I lose for Scatter is just not worth it for physical fights. You still have Planar Refuge, Defer Death, and Side Steps. You can always call for a Healer's Covenant as well so you still have plenty of cards to play.
    I am not saying i don't understand why people take the low RS specs, i totally do, i just love StS. A few seconds of "You can't kill me no matter what you do" is utterly invaluable as far as i am concerned.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast