+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.7 Sin Hybrid still viable in PvP

Rift Chaser

Default 1.7 Sin Hybrid still viable in PvP

I ran a 40 Sin/20 RS/6 Rgr and liked the playstyle. I had good success and then left the game for a while, came back to 1.7 and noticed a lot of PvP changes. I guess I had a few general questions.

1) Is Sin still viable or does everyone roll NB/RS now?

2) Do we receive all the bonuses from what use to be the PvP soul, I noticed Break Free but do we have other abilities or passives?

3) Is their a glitch with stealth, I noticed some problems and saw a few posts about it? Can I avoid certain circumstances that would not normally knock me out of stealth that are currently doing so, etc?

4) Is it 51 point Sin or bust or can a hybrid spec still be effective in PvP?

Thanks for the help.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbawockee View Post
    Yes & Yes. Sin is still viable, even in a 51 format. I personally run more of a hybrid sin(32sin/18rs/16nb) and have a ton of fun with it. But it still gets mulched by the FOTM NB/RS spec usually. A lot of people run NB/RS and either it or MM are definitely the most popular rogue specs.

2) Do we receive all the bonuses from what use to be the PvP soul, I noticed Break Free but do we have other abilities or passives?
    All? No... Some. Breakfree obviously, still have anathema but you have to spend quite a few PA's to get it. Also cleanse soul is still there, although it was neutered.

3) Is their a glitch with stealth, I noticed some problems and saw a few posts about it? Can I avoid certain circumstances that would not normally knock me out of stealth that are currently doing so, etc?
    Definitely a bug with stealth, should get hotfixed soon. Doesn't appear you're getting the 3 seconds of stealth when using slip away.

4) Is it 51 point Sin or bust or can a hybrid spec still be effective in PvP?
    Still viable and hybrids are effective as well. Just search the rogue forums and you'll see quite a few of each posted.
    Snuggles - R40 Rogue : Snugglybear - R36 Mage
    <The Purge> - Seastone Server

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbawockee View Post

I have three PvP builds that I run, my favorite and most flexible is the Sin/RS. Especially in world PvP it's great at attacking from stealth and killing melee classes (including NB/RS variants) and any NPCs that get in the way--but it can be downright maddening when fighting healing classes. Without Fel Blades it has nothing that can stop them from simply healing through everything you throw at them. With stealth being bugged right now it means that you often end up dying when the cavalry arrives.

I use the NB/RS build when stealth just isn't required, like in mass fights in warfronts. It's great against pretty much anything as long as you don't need permanent stealth to get there. The main handicap I find with this build is that it relies on Fel Blades to kill healers and stay alive in a big fray. Right now warfronts are beehives of Marksmen spamming Eradicate. As soon as you get anywhere near anything say goodbye to Fel Blades.

I also dabble in the 32 Sin/18 RS/16 NS build. It has the critical features of the three builds, but has limited Riftstalker mobility. I'm very hooked on Riftstalker mobility and it's difficult for me to enjoy playing a melee rogue without all the mobility that Riftstalker has.

If I was going to live in warfronts these days I'd make an Eradicate spamming Marksman with 2-piece Zardonis or 4-piece Durnes. Using the Ranger crystal and the Predator greater essence you can use all instant cast shots and just run with the gaggle laying waste to everything in front of it. Basically play rogue like a Mage.

For world PvP and maybe a few warfronts I'd make something where you can perm-stealth and pick your fights. Obviously that means Assassin mixed with whatever works against the enemy you're after or suites your style.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by StrifeV View Post
    Yes & Yes. Sin is still viable, even in a 51 format. I personally run more of a hybrid sin(32sin/18rs/16nb) and have a ton of fun with it. But it still gets mulched by the FOTM NB/RS spec usually. A lot of people run NB/RS and either it or MM are definitely the most popular rogue specs.

All? No... Some. Breakfree obviously, still have anathema but you have to spend quite a few PA's to get it. Also cleanse soul is still there, although it was neutered.

Definitely a bug with stealth, should get hotfixed soon. Doesn't appear you're getting the 3 seconds of stealth when using slip away.

Still viable and hybrids are effective as well. Just search the rogue forums and you'll see quite a few of each posted.
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by LeCreaux View Post
    I have three PvP builds that I run, my favorite and most flexible is the Sin/RS. Especially in world PvP it's great at attacking from stealth and killing melee classes (including NB/RS variants) and any NPCs that get in the way--but it can be downright maddening when fighting healing classes. Without Fel Blades it has nothing that can stop them from simply healing through everything you throw at them. With stealth being bugged right now it means that you often end up dying when the cavalry arrives.

I use the NB/RS build when stealth just isn't required, like in mass fights in warfronts. It's great against pretty much anything as long as you don't need permanent stealth to get there. The main handicap I find with this build is that it relies on Fel Blades to kill healers and stay alive in a big fray. Right now warfronts are beehives of Marksmen spamming Eradicate. As soon as you get anywhere near anything say goodbye to Fel Blades.

I also dabble in the 32 Sin/18 RS/16 NS build. It has the critical features of the three builds, but has limited Riftstalker mobility. I'm very hooked on Riftstalker mobility and it's difficult for me to enjoy playing a melee rogue without all the mobility that Riftstalker has.

If I was going to live in warfronts these days I'd make an Eradicate spamming Marksman with 2-piece Zardonis or 4-piece Durnes. Using the Ranger crystal and the Predator greater essence you can use all instant cast shots and just run with the gaggle laying waste to everything in front of it. Basically play rogue like a Mage.

For world PvP and maybe a few warfronts I'd make something where you can perm-stealth and pick your fights. Obviously that means Assassin mixed with whatever works against the enemy you're after or suites your style.
    Thanks for the situational build suggestions. I played MM like a year ago but havenít gone back to it, I hate the idea of spamming eradicate but who knows maybe it could be fun to run and gun debuffing as I go.

Default ..

Sin/RS/NB I think is the best. (along with MM) for PVP. I have 5 souls and this is one of them but I prefer to play as pure assassin as it, for me, feels more authentic to how I envision the class. It's a personal decision.

When you build out your spec, ask yourself some questions
    1. How will I handle healers that heal through all my damage
    2. How will I mitigate mages range/insane damage
    3. How will I migitate warriors that kill me in a few hits.

Play out the scenarios in your head as you spec out. You will find that delving into 3 souls provides you will more utility for the variety of fights. That being said, I disagree with many on this board that feel you should change your souls to whatever is most powerful. If you LOVE Sab, play the damn Sab and fight for it's improvement. If you LOVE assassin, play it and fight for it's improvement.

People that tell you to change to FOTM are pathetic. If you want to change to FOTM, fine. Just don't listen to others telling you to change in order to compete/beat others.
    Rogue: 0/0 HK or any other PVE content. Over 120+ days /played in PVP content exclusively as an Assassin. (yes, 2800 hours)
    Yes, I know MM and NB rule. No, I don't want to switch to a MM. Yes, I know they are the best. No, again, I'd rather improve Assassins.

+ Reply to Thread