+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A new Tank Spec using Planar Switch

Default A new Tank Spec using Planar Switch

So after seeing a few threads about Riftstalkers with too many wasted CPs and having no use for Planar Switch, I thought I'd share a tanking build I use in guild for 5-mans and 10-mans that has served us quite well so far. I present you:

The Humming Blade
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#x/tkGG5liAw/vkG450
    42RS/24Bard

With the right gear level this build can tank ANY 10-man content. I use it in RotP all the time.

The idea was designed around out 80th attempt at General Silgen when we just were running out of DPS.
    This build combines two low DPS raid slots into one while retaining much of the utility of both.

As a 51 RS tank i find myself with CP to spare. Now, I can use them to throw out the bard's 5%physical and 7% non-physical debuffs on a boss. I can also apply coda of jeopardy.
    In addition I am also able to provide the Endurance and STR/DEX anthems at full strength and the run-speed at it's base value while in combat.

What do I lose:
    Rift Prison
    AE pull-in
    Scatter Shadows
    9% endurance form IGF (Offset by bard soul... this is my highest self buffed HP build(
    4.5% mitigation from IRG (biggest drawback imo)

What I gain:
    debuffs
    utility
    -3% to crit and hit chance of attackers
    something to do once ago is secure

It's easy enough to keep up the 4 motifs available, and when coupled with an heirloom of Eth I am also providing a small amount of splash healing to the raid.

The Raid gains an extra DPS slot at the cost of Verse of Joy, The INT/WIS buff, Resonance (biggest loss IMO), and the improved healing motif.

Also, I use this macro quite often:

Jeopardy
    #show Coda of Jeopardy
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @focus Planar Switch
    cast @focus Coda of Jeopardy

It's a great way for me to be able to keep coda up on any mob i need to while still building aggro on my primary target.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorin View Post
    The more people play Rift and subscribe, the more time and money we have to continue to evolve the game....

"Cerium, glowers at you dubiously -- looks like he would wipe the floor with you!"

I came up with pretty much the same build for Silgen, for the same reasons. It's definitely interesting to play when you can get away with sacrificing the mitigation.

Thoughts:

Drop anthem of glory, when do you even use this? Toss the point in CoR and pretend you are a justicar tank :P

I tend towards 5/5 improved anthems over fanfares, uberspeed is nice.
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

Can we name it something that doesn't sound like an option on a Tijuana sex menu?

You are also over estimating how much you lose from Rift Guard since it's not additive. Looks good actually, cause I've long believed the Bard is the weakest slot in a 10 man.
    Last edited by Hellebron; 02-07-2012 at 12:36 PM.

The Humming blade does sound kinda.....meh. Why not the Lutestalker?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebron View Post
    Can we name it something that doesn't sound like an option on a Tijuana sex menu?

You are also over estimating how much you lose from Rift Guard since it's not additive. Looks good actually, cause I've long believed the Bard is the weakest slot in a 10 man.
    You also blow through Experts with is since you get the benefits of a support class without having to field one.

I could move the one point out of anthem of glory, but I use it when there are non mobile fights and no archon. I guess it's kind of superfluous though.

As for the point in CoR.... meh ... it's such a weak heal ... the only thing it would grant is an extra chance to proc the SHOE.... I think i'd rather move it to the 5% bonus healing form the motif.

And I chose the fanfares over the anthems because the raid wide benefit of the added end/str/dex is noticed more then the extra 5% run speed bump.

I had been holding this one back a bit until I saw all the clamor about wanting to sack Planar Switch ... amn it makes it nice for this build.
    The more people play Rift and subscribe, the more time and money we have to continue to evolve the game....

"Cerium, glowers at you dubiously -- looks like he would wipe the floor with you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kroknik View Post
    The Humming blade does sound kinda.....meh. Why not the Lutestalker?
    Fine... new name.

The Demagogue

dem·a·gogue/ˈdeməˌgäg/
    Noun:
    A political leader who seeks support by appealing to popular desires and prejudices rather than by using rational argument.
    (in ancient Greece and Rome) A leader or orator who espoused the cause of the common people.

So I'm building threat using orational talents ... sounds like a bard tank to me.

RIFT Guide Writer

Any idea what Coda of Restoration heals for in tank gear with 3/3 Triumphant Spirit? This could be really fun.
    Oif - Mage | Bagel - Rogue | Duirin - Cleric
    <Vendetta> @ Faeblight - Officer Emeritus

RIFT Guide Writer

I've been running with this lately as a test and its working quite well in deungeons:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...mz.xIt0uRzVzoM

I wanted to go far enough for fervour, my favorite bard buff.

I need to take it into a 10 mans and see how it fairs as of yet.
    Rumpunch (W) - Rumedy (C) - Chaos Inc of Laethys
    Rumbelina (W) - Rummstein (R) - Rumic (M) - Seraphim of Laethys
    My warriors be mostly using......

Open to an alternative name suggestion?

Steel Skald

Obviously the Steel is a metaphor since you don't actually wear steel armour but exhibit the resilience of steel as a tank. The Skald part is self-explanatory and tougher sounding than troubadour or other bardic simile.

Edit: This build may actually give me the excuse to equip the many sets of unwanted HK rogue tank gear I've acquired but never donned.
    Last edited by Zazen; 02-07-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckmann View Post
    Any idea what Coda of Restoration heals for in tank gear with 3/3 Triumphant Spirit? This could be really fun.
    like 750 tops last i checked
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

Quote Originally Posted by ShazzamCrucia View Post
    like 750 tops last i checked
    the motif hits for about 160 per tick but the real heling like i said comes from you wearing a Sacred Heirloom of Eth with this build ... 3 other allies for like 650 ... and it procs at least 4 times per motif refresh.

Fervor is nice too but i couldn't find a way to sacrifice another 8 points out of RS without gutting it's tanking ability and losing another defensive CD.

And i'm all for Steel Skald.

I'm glad you guys like the build.
    Last edited by Cerium; 02-07-2012 at 02:33 PM.

If you are lacking DPS and don't mind losing mitigation, why not runa 22rs/24sin/20bd build?

Pulls ~1,2-1,5kish DPS and you can provide 5% critdebuff (incase you don't have meleerogues) and have something like 200-250ish HPS on yourself with deflect-trinket.
    And it provides 3kish DPS on 3-4 enemies, perfect tankbuild for experts.

I rather run that + a battlebard (36bard/17sin/13bd) too maximaze DPS.

Battlebards provide superior raidhealing... but that's just me.

Your build is a fun idea nontheless, i just think there are better ways to get around the issues you faced.
    Last edited by Coffande; 02-07-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    Rogue

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Cerium View Post
    Fervor is nice too but i couldn't find a way to sacrifice another 8 points out of RS without gutting it's tanking ability and losing another defensive CD.
    You can drop the 5 points from AP buff without effecting your aggro too adversely, I can hold aggro with no issues at all. The entire idea behind it is to hold aggro passively via planar vortex, freeing you up to fire off motifs, and it works a treat.

Rift prision is just a gimmick outside of PVP.

Speed buff after shifting isn't of much use.

Beyond that, yes, compromise required.

So far I use ranger as my zero pointer so have even less oh ****s than you, however don't forget the value of virtuoso then coda of restoration spam. Beyond that I do have the option to switch in BD as my zero pointer.

I'll post a guide for mine soon anyway, I have it written ready, just refining.
    Rumpunch (W) - Rumedy (C) - Chaos Inc of Laethys
    Rumbelina (W) - Rummstein (R) - Rumic (M) - Seraphim of Laethys
    My warriors be mostly using......

The biggest difference is that this build still functions as a solid raid tank. With good mitigation, all your defensive buffs, and all but one od the defensive CDs.

Like I said I can tank all 10 man content with it and most 20 man too. Some of the HK stuff hits to hard and there isn't usually a reason in a 20 man anyway.

For group content i often jsut tank in my solo build depending on the healing.

Alright, how the heck do you hotkey this spec.

Since they broke the bard macro, I'm completely out of keybinds for this build.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast