Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rogues - Top DPS and why

Can we close this thread now please?

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Isz
    Champion of Telara

Rogues should be the top dps in short burst damage situations, but not in fights that last long. I dont' know why this doesn't get brought up more (the dps in relation to length of a fight)

One example I see often is that MM's with fan out have the highest dps for AOE in short fights with limited amounts of mobs. If the fight runs longer or has more mobs, then clerics and mages fair better with AOE.

Warriors should have top single target dps in sustained fights. (though BD should be close in this case)

Mages should have top single target ranged DPS in sustained fights. (We should be close in this case with ranger.)

We shouldn't have the highest sustained dps for long fights, it just doesn't make sense to the calling, and it disenfranchises the other callings when we do.
    Last edited by Isz; 02-07-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isz View Post
    Rogues should be the top dps in short burst damage situations, but not in fights that last long. I dont' know why this doesn't get brought up more (the dps in relation to length of a fight)

One example I see often is that MM's with fan out have the highest dps for AOE in short fights with limited amounts of mobs. If the fight runs longer or has more mobs, then clerics and mages fair better with AOE.

Warriors should have top single target dps in sustained fights. (though BD should be close in this case)

Mages should have top single target ranged DPS in sustained fights. (We should be close in this case with ranger.)

We shouldn't have the highest sustained dps for long fights, it just doesn't make sense to the calling, and it disenfranchises the other callings when we do.
    What boss fights are short duration burst fights?

Ascendant

I'm not a rogue, but...
    No. Just no.
    Maza the Mage <Damaged PvPness>
    Not playing a warrior anymore because it's boring.
    11/11 HK | 4/4 ROTP | 0/8 ID

Isz
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Mammothtruk View Post
    the whole calling is balanced around boss fights?

Ascendant

the whole calling is balanced around boss fights?
    For the purposes of balancing DPS -- which, btw, isn't based on "Burst", but sustained damage -- Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammothtruk View Post
    Depending on your role: RKM , inquis, Zilas, Akylios. I could argue matron, but blah who cares. And darktide is barely a boss.

Oh, forgot Grung. 45s on, 30s kite
    Last edited by Sebb; 02-07-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    Seb - R40 OP PVP Warrior
    Solo Tanking Akylios - But I hate tanking Plutonus.
    New WF Idea for Rift
    SAVE THE VK!!!

Isz
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt55511 View Post
    For the purposes of balancing DPS -- which, btw, isn't based on "Burst", but sustained damage -- Yeah.
    I think thats just the way you'd like to look at it.

If we have sustained top single target dps in either ranged or melee then we completely disenfranchise the other callings. The rogue calling in general just screams burst and stealth.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Sebb View Post
    Depending on your role: RKM , inquis, Zilas, Akylios. I could argue matron, but blah who cares. And darktide is barely a boss.
    Darktide is an encounter. IMO, it was the most interesting fight in HK, simply due to how massive it was. ;P
    Last edited by Hunt55511; 02-07-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Ascendant

I think thats just the way you'd like to look at it.

If we have sustained top single target dps in either ranged or melee then we completely disenfranchise the other callings. The rogue calling in general just screams burst and stealth.
    I'm also betting under your definition rogues do not scream tanking or bard.

This is Rift, not WoW.

Isz
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt55511 View Post
    I'm also betting under your definition rogues do not scream tanking or bard.

This is Rift, not WoW.
    We are talking about DPS here.

The bard and mitigation style tank are both really cool ways to look at a rogue, and broaden it.

In the realm of pure DPS i stand by the idea that we should only really top everyone else on burst, sustained is what makes being a mage or warrior dps worth it. Otherwise what do they even have?

Hi everyone,

We feel that this thread has degenerated into a non-constructive discussion, so we've closed it. Please remember to keep your comments respectful and constructive at all times on our forums, even when you disagree with others.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@riftgame.com.

Thank you!

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6