+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Almost level 50, but looking for advice before going further

Soulwalker

Default Almost level 50, but looking for advice before going further

I currently have a level 49 rogue (who is exp locked) and I was looking for some "guidelines" I should follow prior to reaching 50. The reason why I'm asking is because it seems like pretty much the whole game changes at 50, such as prestige for PVP, planar attunement and running tier 2 dungeons/raids for gear and such. It brings a lot of new changes and complexity which I haven't gotten to experience yet.

Since the new changes with exp locking, I figure I should take advantage of this so that I can ease into the end-game scene more smoothly. My primary focus right now is PVP and doing group content. As far as some background information, I currently have:

71k honor
    112 platinum
    15700 planarite
    106 inscribed sourcestones
    25 plaque of achievements

I read things like I should buy a Sigil of the Five (which I did) and save up for PVP gear. However, I'm unsure which is the "correct" amount to have before progressing. Basically I'd like to have a smooth transition into end-game, and not show up to warfronts/raids in green gear for example.

Thank you for reading and I appreciate any genuine input in what I should do.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by varlas View Post
    I currently have a level 49 rogue (who is exp locked) and I was looking for some "guidelines" I should follow prior to reaching 50. The reason why I'm asking is because it seems like pretty much the whole game changes at 50, such as prestige for PVP, planar attunement and running tier 2 dungeons/raids for gear and such. It brings a lot of new changes and complexity which I haven't gotten to experience yet.

Since the new changes with exp locking, I figure I should take advantage of this so that I can ease into the end-game scene more smoothly. My primary focus right now is PVP and doing group content. As far as some background information, I currently have:

71k honor
    112 platinum
    15700 planarite
    106 inscribed sourcestones
    25 plaque of achievements

I read things like I should buy a Sigil of the Five (which I did) and save up for PVP gear. However, I'm unsure which is the "correct" amount to have before progressing. Basically I'd like to have a smooth transition into end-game, and not show up to warfronts/raids in green gear for example.

Thank you for reading and I appreciate any genuine input in what I should do.
    I don't see why you locked your xp at 49. Actually, it's counterproductive since you're not gaining any planar attunement xp which has recently become a - very - important tree to fill out if you're into pvp. Even if you're just doing invasions/quests/whatever you're missing out on it.

Fact is: there is no 'smooth' transition beyond.. hit 50, then buy whatever gear you can with the favor, start making a epic essence source stone with the IS, and perhaps pick up an item or two on the auction house. I'd recommend the daggers that usually go for 100-120p (on my server atleast) as they'll last you up until hk.

You can't just jump into raids as the first thing and i'm pretty certain nobody would invite you in green gear, hell.. not even blue gear for what the few PuGs are concerned. Get the hit needed to do the T2 dungeons, you can be carried a bit there for a few dungeons which will give you some basic gear along with plaques to start the t1/t2 dungeon set.. For pvp you'll get bolstered to a higher rank statwise in warfronts for the first ranks atleast. Buy the weapons first, then whatever pieces are the biggest upgrades for you.

So a step by step guide:
    Unlock xp -> Hit 50 -> Do planar attunement -> Do pvp/dungeons, work with what you got.

Wow nice work on the favor.
    The more you have prior to 50 the better, it will just make it easier to get your first set of 50 PvP gear.
    It is capped though so if you get to close to cap (and I can't think what that is now... 250k?) start buying your lvl 50 gear.

Plat. Don't worry about how much you have. Once you start doing the lvl 50 dailies it will quickly build up.

Planarite. Again don't worry. There is more to spend it on now, but it builds up very quickly if you enjoy doing invasions.

I use my plaques to buy minor cats so I'm no use there. I don't do dungeons.

Inscribed. They will build up fairly quickly too. Have a look at the 100 x inscribed essences and save up for any of those that float your boat.

Really level at your own pace. You're boosted now in warfronts so gear is not as much of an issue. If I was you though I'd aim for my first set which you're well on your way to getting.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Ascendant

Turn off the exp lock. Run CR AP, and CC to load up on your gear. Once you hit 50, try and get a buddy to get the chronicles done. After that it's experts which are tuned down and being Q'ed by hammerknell and rank 40s.

PvP wise, relax and brace yourself a bit. A smooth entry is not going to happen. It's going to be forceful, rough, and painful. Just relax, and let it happen.

Otherwise, get the full set of highest tier armor you can afford/willing to grind for, get 2x of the 1.4 craftable daggers (they have like 40 dps, and you want them made with a valor augment by preference) and a rune carved bow/abyssal musket/ enchanted shade thorn bow

Grind the crap out of pvp rifts for unseen rep so you can get your pvp core and essences.

This will take a long time, of just sitting there grinding 49 warfronts, pvp rifts, and running around farming incribes when you aren't at those will be useful as well to fill out your pve core. And your second and third pve cores if your going to be barding and/or tanking as well.

All for gear you can't use yet, and most importantly, wasting time that could be used to gain Planar attunment levels, and prestige.

PvE wise... keep running experts. You'll get geared out for raids. Then run Drowned halls, master modes, GSB river of souls, gilder prophecy, raid rifts. You'll be geared for the next tier of content. Run that.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Spezial View Post
    I don't see why you locked your xp at 49. Actually, it's counterproductive since you're not gaining any planar attunement xp which has recently become a - very - important tree to fill out if you're into pvp. Even if you're just doing invasions/quests/whatever you're missing out on it.
    It's mostly because of how many things change at 50, I want to be prepared as well as I can (at least until I run out of patience, haha).

I figure since I'll start earning attunement at 50 anyway, I should stay at 49 for the time being and prepare myself by earning enough favor/sourcestones so I can buy decent gear when I first start out. And the "green items" thing was mostly exaggeration, I keep a good habit of making sure I get upgraded blue/purple items.

Before I forget, I'm at 91% exp. So when I turn off exp lock, I'll pretty much be at 50. That's what concerns me.
    Last edited by varlas; 02-06-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by varlas View Post
    It's mostly because of how many things change at 50, I want to be prepared as well as I can (at least until I run out of patience, haha).

I figure since I'll start earning attunement at 50 anyway, I should stay at 49 for the time being and prepare myself by earning enough favor/sourcestones so I can buy decent gear when I first start out. And the "green items" thing was mostly exaggeration, I keep a good habit of making sure I get upgraded blue/purple items.

Before I forget, I'm at 91% exp. So when I turn off exp lock, I'll pretty much be at 50. That's what concerns me.
    Remember that the time you spend locked at 49 is time you could be spending at 50 getting dungeon loot etc.

Imo it's far easier to ready yourself for being 50, when you're 50. I don't think being 49 really gives much of an advantage, but of course this is up to you.

Most importantly, don't fret too much - it's a lot easier to get geared up as a 50 now compared to a few months ago.

Ditch those blues, run chronicles for cash, buy crafted set for L50 and go from there. Then head to Ember Isles for the L52 invasions that earn you max 'dollah' ISS, rather than the paltry 5 ISS in the SS, IPP and SM invasions.

Don't be afraid to be a new lvl 50 that has to gear up!

+ Reply to Thread