+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: RS Tank Buffs?

Rift Disciple

Default RS Tank Buffs?

I'm not sure how out of date this is now, but it seems pretty current.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ion-1-0-a.html

The parses and analysis here really paint a poor picture for RS vs the other two tanks in HK. Are there any plans to improve our performance on the high end?

Deflection seems a nice introduction but still far and away a far cry from real blocking. Our avoidance is the poorest of the three tanks on average, as is our total mitigation.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Curious, what's the numerical difference between deflection and blocking?
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Rift Disciple

From what I gathered from his post, blocks can fully block the damage of a blow, or seem to more often.

I'm a returning player so I dont fully understand the math, but it seemed very thorough and the conclusions were rang more than once. In the best case a RS was taking 40-50% more physical damage than a Warrior/Cleric. The issue did not seem squarely with deflection, but compounded by a number of factors.

@ Allion: Maybe we could receive something in place of our currently 'useless' capstone power(i say this respectfully and constructively. I do not see a real world use case for Planar Switch). Mayhaps a new power to throw on rotation to boost our mitigation or a temporary buff that increases our tankyness somehow.

How about changing it to allow us to convert current CP's on a target to health, ala rift scavenger, without the target having to die. Give it a longer CD. Giving us the ability to self heal would probably be pretty boss

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Duske View Post
    From what I gathered from his post, blocks can fully block the damage of a blow, or seem to more often.

I'm a returning player so I dont fully understand the math, but it seemed very thorough and the conclusions were rang more than once. In the best case a RS was taking 40-50% more physical damage than a Warrior/Cleric. The issue did not seem squarely with deflection, but compounded by a number of factors.

@ Allion: Maybe we could receive something in place of our currently 'useless' capstone power(i say this respectfully and constructively. I do not see a real world use case for Planar Switch). Mayhaps a new power to throw on rotation to boost our mitigation or a temporary buff that increases our tankyness somehow.

How about changing it to allow us to convert current CP's on a target to health, ala rift scavenger, without the target having to die. Give it a longer CD. Giving us the ability to self heal would probably be pretty boss
    That sounds so far off when I look at how much our rogue tank takes in damage on Sicaron -- he only takes a bit more damage, not a whopping 40-50%.
    Maza the Mage <Damaged PvPness>
    Not playing a warrior anymore because it's boring.
    11/11 HK | 4/4 ROTP | 0/8 ID

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt55511 View Post
    That sounds so far off when I look at how much our rogue tank takes in damage on Sicaron -- he only takes a bit more damage, not a whopping 40-50%.
    Its 40-50% more than a Cleric or Warrior tank, not 40-50% of his health.

The underlying point is, mitigation wise (presuming the numbers from 1.6 were not totally changed in 1.7 somehow) the RS is behind the Cleric or Warrior Tank by a sizeable amount. The damage in question also ignores parry/dodge, but that works for the RS benefit since with HK gear an RS is going to be behind a cleric/warrior tank in terms of total avoidance from parry/dodge.

Ascendant

Its 40-50% more than a Cleric or Warrior tank, not 40-50% of his health.

The underlying point is, mitigation wise (presuming the numbers from 1.6 were not totally changed in 1.7 somehow) the RS is behind the Cleric or Warrior Tank by a sizeable amount. The damage in question also ignores parry/dodge, but that works for the RS benefit since with HK gear an RS is going to be behind a cleric/warrior tank in terms of total avoidance from parry/dodge.
    No, I'm saying it's clearly not 40-50% more damage taken. It isn't even close to that much -- at best, averaging on a Sicaron fight, our guild rogue takes about 10-20% more damage than I do depending on RNG. And comparing anything to a warrior tank is a bad idea because warrior tanking is broken. If you compared yourselves to cleric tanks you would notice you have better physical damage reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Curious, what's the numerical difference between deflection and blocking?
    They are an identical mechanic. The difference right now is that Warriors have more +block talents and gear with +block on it. My Warrior counterpart has 71%+ block with similar gear in raids, and I scrape about 53% deflect. We have been told, however, that itemisation in future content will include gear with +deflect stats.

38 Reaver / 18 Pally / 10 WL (I think this is the build?) is OP and everyone knows it. Riftstalker is fine where it is. Justicar is not.

The issue is: you pulled up the 1.5 thread. Go back to posts for 1.6 mitigation to see where we currently stand. Also Ianto, I'm pulling just a tad under 60% deflect raid buffed using only the relic dps gloves for non-tank items. I have lightning glyph and +39 dexterity from PA, and generally use fortification vials over powersurge or endurance.
    "You're just realizing the fault of your species, human beings are the most untrustworthy, backstabbing creatures on this planet. Except for bears."

It's the glyphs. I use whetstones because threat scaling is **** and I'm a conscientious objector to a PA system that's broken for RS (and I also hate onslaughts).

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    It's the glyphs. I use whetstones because threat scaling is **** and I'm a conscientious objector to a PA system that's broken for RS (and I also hate onslaughts).

I don't wear pants when I tank. I'm a conscientious objector to modesty!
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

Rift Disciple

Ah well, kudos then. Thought id get an answer.

I still feel planar switch is useless and needs to be looked at however...

Isz
    Champion of Telara

I have tanked up to R1 stuff and not once have I been told that they would rather have a war tank. If this problem really only surfaces at R2 content and up then I just haven't seen it.

Just wanted to say that I have never felt gimped as a rogue tank.

Edit: Agree planar switch is not very good for a 51.
    Last edited by Isz; 02-06-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Ascendant

Ah well, kudos then. Thought id get an answer.

I still feel planar switch is useless and needs to be looked at however...
    It was made purely for RS DPS hybrids.

Isz
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt55511 View Post
    It was made purely for RS DPS hybrids.
    51 point RS dps hybrids?

I have never seen one. The dps abilities just end in the tree above like 25 or 30 IIRC.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Isz View Post
    51 point RS dps hybrids?

I have never seen one. The dps abilities just end in the tree above like 25 or 30 IIRC.
    Oh wait, my bad. I confused the ability "Planar Reversal" with Planar Switch .

Yeah, Planar Switch is horribad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast