+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Riftstalker Capstone Power

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    157

    Default Riftstalker Capstone Power

    Referring to Planar Switch.

    This ability seems very underwhelming compared to any other trees capstone.

    Is it possible for us to get a replacement? Or is there something I'm missing? Gaining CP rather quick...although I realize this could probably be used pre pull to start with a CP, but that hardly seems like a top tier talent.

    I was thinking of a new attack or temporary 'form' we can enter, like a 15 second 3 minute CD buff based off what aspect we are in that transforms us and gives us some set of benefits.

    Anyhow....something instead of Planar Switch would be boss.

  2. #2
    Isz
    Isz is offline
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duske View Post
    Referring to Planar Switch.

    This ability seems very underwhelming compared to any other trees capstone.

    Is it possible for us to get a replacement? Or is there something I'm missing? Gaining CP rather quick...although I realize this could probably be used pre pull to start with a CP, but that hardly seems like a top tier talent.

    I was thinking of a new attack or temporary 'form' we can enter, like a 15 second 3 minute CD buff based off what aspect we are in that transforms us and gives us some set of benefits.

    Anyhow....something instead of Planar Switch would be boss.
    My least used, least understood rogue tank ability. All I can see using it for is the free point.

    I kind of understand where they were going with it, like we switch targets to keep all the aggro so we can bring the CP with us, but I have never seen it done in a way that looks useful.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isz View Post
    My least used, least understood rogue tank ability. All I can see using it for is the free point.

    I kind of understand where they were going with it, like we switch targets to keep all the aggro so we can bring the CP with us, but I have never seen it done in a way that looks useful.
    Right. Back at 1.0 when i first saw this power, i posted basically asking what it was about and why we had it. Its been a full year..and I feel of any soul ive seen for any class, this is the most pointless power by far.

    How many souls can say they NEVER use their capstone power...?

  4. #4
    Ascendant Ianto Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,018

    Default

    Off-GCD CP builder? QQ!!! How terrible!

  5. #5
    Rift Master McWaffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Off-GCD CP builder? QQ!!! How terrible!
    LOL. i thought the same. Back when we actually needed fast combo points to get buffs up, this ability was incredible.

    You can pull with splinter --> Quick with Planar switch oGCD for a starting 4 combo points before even porting in.

    Also, any boss that has adds you can switch to target the adds and planar switch 4 combo pts to 5 combo points for a 30% self heal. This is quite easy to do with addons like NPSee, and 7/11 boss fights in HK regularly have killable adds up.

    It's also free threat at range.
    "You're just realizing the fault of your species, human beings are the most untrustworthy, backstabbing creatures on this planet. Except for bears."

  6. #6
    Plane Walker TroubleMagnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Off-GCD CP builder? QQ!!! How terrible!
    An off-GCD CP builder that does NO THREAT at the top of our TANK tree? Yes, it IS terrible. RS don't even need full 5 CP finishers to do their job. I don't have a problem getting CPs as a tank. If not for the 51 point root ability and both rift guard and guardian phase scaling with points in the tree, no-one would ever put a point into this ability.
    Dummy Foundry rocks. CQ blows. Energy is meh. MORE ROLE SLOTS! Burma shave.

  7. #7
    Champion ShazzamCrucia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    572

    Default

    The only *real* use I've ever found for this is to carry 5cps during virtuoso spam in pvp in troll-bard spec.

    Off-GCD combo point? This would matter if CP's really meant anything in 51 RS. All they effect is buff duration and I've already got more CP's to spend than I need. For new targets, shifts already give 2...

    Maybe if they removed the energy cost I'd like it more. As it is, I haven't used it in months.


    *edit* yes, you can switch your cp's to a nearly dead target to get a rift scavenger proc. or you can just change targets for 3 seconds and build them normally. This ability made sense when shifting didn't apply defensive finishers for you...not anymore
    Last edited by ShazzamCrucia; 02-06-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

  8. #8
    Plane Touched Cerium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    258

    Default

    While we're talking about useless RS talents, can we throw the 26 point talent in there too?

    When was the last time anyone ever used the targeted Shadow Warp for anything other then running from point A to point B after a wipe.

    Okay MAYBE it can be useful to gain a little more ground in a cap flag WF, and i have once used it to warp backwards by looking behind me and targeting there, but over all it's more or less a fluff skill

    Give us something actually useful. Hell just make it the same as Shadow Shift but backwards for all I care. At least then I have a retreat! Or maybe add an AE stun to it .. then at least it might have some pulling potential.

    I just hate skills I NEVER use. Don't get me started on the tracking skills ... seriously.... can't we make those T1 PAs and shove something with a little USEFUL utility in there?
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorin View Post
    The more people play Rift and subscribe, the more time and money we have to continue to evolve the game....

    "Cerium, glowers at you dubiously -- looks like he would wipe the floor with you!"

  9. #9
    Isz
    Isz is offline
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerium View Post
    While we're talking about useless RS talents, can we throw the 26 point talent in there too?

    When was the last time anyone ever used the targeted Shadow Warp for anything other then running from point A to point B after a wipe.

    Okay MAYBE it can be useful to gain a little more ground in a cap flag WF, and i have once used it to warp backwards by looking behind me and targeting there, but over all it's more or less a fluff skill

    Give us something actually useful. Hell just make it the same as Shadow Shift but backwards for all I care. At least then I have a retreat! Or maybe add an AE stun to it .. then at least it might have some pulling potential.

    I just hate skills I NEVER use. Don't get me started on the tracking skills ... seriously.... can't we make those T1 PAs and shove something with a little USEFUL utility in there?
    I bet the bloodstalkers really like using that one though. I mean, I think they need all the ports they can get to keep the buffs up right?

  10. #10
    Plane Touched Cerium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    258

    Default

    no.

    I never use that one ... in BS you cycle Shadow Stalk, Shadown Blitz, and Shadow Assault .... you never use Shadow Shift, Memory Recall or shadow warp. In fact you don't even go deep enough in to have Recall or warp.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorin View Post
    The more people play Rift and subscribe, the more time and money we have to continue to evolve the game....

    "Cerium, glowers at you dubiously -- looks like he would wipe the floor with you!"

  11. #11
    Prophet of Telara TyrLith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TroubleMagnet View Post
    An off-GCD CP builder that does NO THREAT at the top of our TANK tree? Yes, it IS terrible. RS don't even need full 5 CP finishers to do their job. I don't have a problem getting CPs as a tank. If not for the 51 point root ability and both rift guard and guardian phase scaling with points in the tree, no-one would ever put a point into this ability.
    lol... u make no sence,


    off global cp builder, per defnition of it being OFF global makes it do threat. here is why

    default builder 5 combopoints, >finisher
    4 builder > off global > finisher.. wow you just saved a global basicly made that finisher worth 20% more.

    now if you go down to 3 Cp , guess what that off global is 33% of your finisher! and worth even more YAY..


    saying the off global adds no threat is just silly.
    Last edited by TyrLith; 02-06-2012 at 03:12 PM.

  12. #12
    Prophet of Telara TyrLith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    edit timer*
    add this to bottom *

    Being of opinion that it is a gigantic lackluster.. that might hold more bearing
    Last edited by TyrLith; 02-06-2012 at 03:14 PM.

  13. #13
    Isz
    Isz is offline
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TyrLith View Post
    lol... u make no sence,


    off global cp builder, per defnition of it being OFF global makes it do threat. here is why

    default builder 5 combopoints, >finisher
    4 builder > off global > finisher.. wow you just saved a global basicly made that finisher worth 20% more.

    now if you go down to 3 Cp , guess what that off global is 33% of your finisher! and worth even more YAY..


    saying the off global adds no threat is just silly.
    I think you misunderstand.

    It does no threat in that you can use it on a mob and it will not attack you. It causes no threat from npc's. It's threat as in TANKING threat.

    We don't really have the kind of finishers that benefit in the way you menton.

  14. #14
    Prophet of Telara TyrLith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    so its a tool to get your DR up faster ?

    still seems usefull to me. must be completely misunderstanding why a free CP is useless else :[
    Last edited by TyrLith; 02-06-2012 at 03:28 PM.

  15. #15
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,724

    Default

    Useless... no I wouldn't go that far. But it an extremely underwhelming tree-topper to say the least. Honestly, whenever I play around with a non-51 Riftstalker tank build Planar Switch is always one of the first points I drop.

    Yes, it's a an off-GCD builder. But... so what? A Riftstalker has more combo points flying in than they really know what to do with anyway - especially since Guarded Steel gets max duration from only 1 cp now. Using Planar Switch or not does not improve tanking effectiveness in any way. I'd be more than happy to see it dropped for... well pretty much anything else would be an improvement.
    Last edited by Kedon; 02-06-2012 at 03:28 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts