+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Buff timers for tanking?

  1. #1
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    241

    Default Buff timers for tanking?

    So I'm level 23, and while tanking, it's hard to keep track of all the buffs that I need to keep up (the 30% armor thing, 5% reduced damage taken, 5% dodge, Rift Guard, etc)

    Is there any buff timer addon yet? Or something to easier keep track of multiple buff durations?

  2. #2
    Ascendant Am0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erethzium View Post
    So I'm level 23, and while tanking, it's hard to keep track of all the buffs that I need to keep up (the 30% armor thing, 5% reduced damage taken, 5% dodge, Rift Guard, etc)

    Is there any buff timer addon yet? Or something to easier keep track of multiple buff durations?
    http://www.riftui.com/downloads/info176-AmonUI.html

    ^Entire Rogue UI. After installing type /nkrebuff to configure the buffs you would like to monitor, or for individual customization /karuulalert.

    Hope that helps!
    "You lost me at Balance"

  3. #3
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Oooh, lovely. Many thanks.

  4. #4
    Ascendant Am0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erethzium View Post
    Oooh, lovely. Many thanks.
    No problem!
    "You lost me at Balance"

  5. #5
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Uh...how exactly do I configure nkRebuff to show buffs? It has a debuff bar, only showing debuffs of course, but I can't find any settings for buffs.
    Last edited by Erethzium; 02-05-2012 at 12:10 PM.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Am0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erethzium View Post
    Uh...how exactly do I configure nkRebuff to show buffs? It has a debuff bar, only showing debuffs of course, but I can't find any settings for buffs.
    type /nkrebuff config, go to settings go to drop down bar. Click Buffs, then select the buffs you want to display.
    "You lost me at Balance"

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    174

    Default

    While addons are nice, relying on them too much can make you a lazy player. Learning to watch your buff bar is a good skill to learn, especially if you ever want to branch out as a healer (by rolling an alt character, I mean) or pvp a significant amount.

    The new(ish) changes to Riftstalker have cut down the buff management part of the class to a more easily managed level. Macros also help out with this task tremendously.

    Just as some advice to make your life easier:

    1. Macro your phantom blow into your planar strike. Something like:

    #show phantom blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast phantom blow
    cast planar strike

    This macro alone should significantly increase your quality of life.

    2. If you're using bladedancer as your secondary soul, alternate your finishers between Guarded Steel and False Blade. This ensures that you won't have to really think much about the buff itself.

    For example, if you're using the macro above as your standard combo builder and you bind it to 1, Guarded Steel to 2, and False Blade to 3, your rotation would look something like: 1-1-1-1-1-2, 1-1-1-1-1-3, repeat

    Of course once you get the points to spend, throwing in teleports for the 2-combo points and AOE threat generation are always preferred to just spamming planar strike. Using your teleports (once you get planar vortex) and using rift disturbance often is also key to maintaining aoe threat.

    3. On a single target pull, your buffs from teleporting aren't too important. Yes, they increase threat by way of more crits and the vortex splash on the one mob, but it's not something that needs to be managed 100% if it's going to take your focus away from picking up adds, correcting positioning, helping the healer out with cooldowns, etc.


    I know you didn't ask for the advice, but from one Riftstalker tank to another, it's better to learn to watch buffs now without a crutch then to be stuck without your addon on patch day when many addons break.

    Hope this helps,

    ~Thoon
    <Everlasting Vendetta> -- Greybriar-PvE
    Noxus - Mathosian Warrior - 2/4 FT, 4/4 ToSQ, 2/5 EE

  8. #8
    Ascendant Am0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoon View Post
    While addons are nice, relying on them too much can make you a lazy player. Learning to watch your buff bar is a good skill to learn, especially if you ever want to branch out as a healer (by rolling an alt character, I mean) or pvp a significant amount.

    The new(ish) changes to Riftstalker have cut down the buff management part of the class to a more easily managed level. Macros also help out with this task tremendously.

    Just as some advice to make your life easier:

    1. Macro your phantom blow into your planar strike. Something like:

    #show phantom blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast phantom blow
    cast planar strike

    This macro alone should significantly increase your quality of life.

    2. If you're using bladedancer as your secondary soul, alternate your finishers between Guarded Steel and False Blade. This ensures that you won't have to really think much about the buff itself.

    For example, if you're using the macro above as your standard combo builder and you bind it to 1, Guarded Steel to 2, and False Blade to 3, your rotation would look something like: 1-1-1-1-1-2, 1-1-1-1-1-3, repeat

    Of course once you get the points to spend, throwing in teleports for the 2-combo points and AOE threat generation are always preferred to just spamming planar strike. Using your teleports (once you get planar vortex) and using rift disturbance often is also key to maintaining aoe threat.

    3. On a single target pull, your buffs from teleporting aren't too important. Yes, they increase threat by way of more crits and the vortex splash on the one mob, but it's not something that needs to be managed 100% if it's going to take your focus away from picking up adds, correcting positioning, helping the healer out with cooldowns, etc.


    I know you didn't ask for the advice, but from one Riftstalker tank to another, it's better to learn to watch buffs now without a crutch then to be stuck without your addon on patch day when many addons break.

    Hope this helps,

    ~Thoon
    Having something enhance your buff bar in no way makes you lazy. Not doing something that potentially makes you more aware as a player because you have some kind of mental rule that makes it lazy is ignorant.

    It is available to anyone, it isn't going anywhere. Take advantage of it, or be at a disadvantage because of your own personal rules to follow.
    Even an Ape knows how to watch a buff bar. Making use of tools while available is smart. not lazy.
    Thats my opinion.
    Last edited by Am0n; 02-05-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    "You lost me at Balance"

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Maybe I should have stated in my original post that I use buff addons (as well as ui alterations, timers, etc.) myself, but this was after learning to deal with the standard ui first.

    My post was meant as a suggestion for a new player to this game, not as a bash to addons in general. The reply given is inappropriately hostile towards me, and attempts to discredit my post because of a perceived attack on using addons.

    I'm merely making suggestions to address the OPs potential reason for wanting addons in the first place, while expressing my opinion on the learning process through which one should most likely take when becoming familiar with a new game.

    Amon, please consider looking into how a response reads when replying to a legitimate attempt to help a new player. I agree with what you're saying to a certain extent, but definitely not the manner you're saying it in.

    ------------------------

    On a side note, addons break fairly often. You should have seen a couple of the wipes my past guild has had on Sicaron due to patch day breaking Raidkillers for the night. It was hilarious for the rest of us to say the least.
    Last edited by Thoon; 02-05-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    <Everlasting Vendetta> -- Greybriar-PvE
    Noxus - Mathosian Warrior - 2/4 FT, 4/4 ToSQ, 2/5 EE

  10. #10
    Ascendant Am0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoon View Post
    Maybe I should have stated in my original post that I use buff addons (as well as ui alterations, timers, etc.) myself, but this was after learning to deal with the standard ui first.

    My post was meant as a suggestion for a new player to this game, not as a bash to addons in general. The reply given is inappropriately hostile towards me, and attempts to discredit my post because of a perceived attack on using addons.

    I'm merely making suggestions to address the OPs potential reason for wanting addons in the first place, while expressing my opinion on the learning process through which one should most likely take when becoming familiar with a new game.

    Amon, please consider looking into how a response reads when replying to a legitimate attempt to help a new player.

    ------------------------

    On a side note, addons break fairly often. You should have seen a couple of the wipes my past guild has had on Sicaron due to patch day breaking Raidkillers for the night. It was hilarious for the rest of us to say the least.
    I in no way "bashed" you LOL.
    I stated my opinion. I didn't say you did or did not use addons, I said not taking advantage of what you are given is not very smart, and that using addons in no way makes you lazy. How that is attacking you is beyond me.

    I said reading a buff bar is simple "even an ape can do it"
    I didnt say Thoon you are an Ape!

    I said mental blocks make a weak player.
    Not that you are said person with a mental block.

    TL : DR I didn't make any assumptions towards you personally.
    Last edited by Am0n; 02-05-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    "You lost me at Balance"

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Well, then it seems the faceless internet wins one again. In my defense, your post can easily be understood to be calling me ignorant without any more information about myself than the post I made previously.

    Either way, I still think my advice is sound. I like addons, I use addons, but I just don't think that was the real issue here because of how few buffs RS's have to maintain now.

    The buffs that the OP mentioned consist of 3 abilities; False Blades, Guarded Steel, and Phantom Blow.

    Phantom Blow can be macroed to Planar Strike, which is your one and only builder, so you never have to think about maintaining it.

    Guarded Steel applies Rift Guard and the armor buff and is potentially your only finisher.

    If using False Blades, simply rotating which one you use every five seconds (prioritizing Guarded Steel) eliminates the need to watch that either.

    The only buff I even have configured is my teleporting buff. If this was three months ago I would feel differently, but since phantom blow can be macroed, and Rift guard and Guarded steel are the same ability...well....
    Last edited by Thoon; 02-05-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    <Everlasting Vendetta> -- Greybriar-PvE
    Noxus - Mathosian Warrior - 2/4 FT, 4/4 ToSQ, 2/5 EE

  12. #12
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Uh...using addons because the default UI sucks, this is not "lazy". Being able to see buff durations easier is not "lazy", it's incredibly helpful instead of always having to keep looking very closely at the buff bar.

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    174

    Default

    I wasn't referring specifically to the ui mods when I wrote that, just addons as a whole.

    Even with that said, that isn't even close to the important part of my post. I understand people are bored at work/home/whatever and want something to argue about, but my post was about the usefulness of a buff addon to riftstalker tanks (and how to mostly avoid having to use one in the first place), not the effort put into playing while using addons. Please don't make that the focus of this thread.
    Last edited by Thoon; 02-05-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    <Everlasting Vendetta> -- Greybriar-PvE
    Noxus - Mathosian Warrior - 2/4 FT, 4/4 ToSQ, 2/5 EE

  14. #14
    Ascendant Am0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoon View Post
    Well, then it seems the faceless internet wins one again. In my defense, your post can easily be understood to be calling me ignorant without any more information about myself than the post I made previously.

    Either way, I still think my advice is sound. I like addons, I use addons, but I just don't think that was the real issue here because of how few buffs RS's have to maintain now.

    The buffs that the OP mentioned consist of 3 abilities; False Blades, Guarded Steel, and Phantom Blow.

    Phantom Blow can be macroed to Planar Strike, which is your one and only builder, so you never have to think about maintaining it.

    Guarded Steel applies Rift Guard and the armor buff and is potentially your only finisher.

    If using False Blades, simply rotating which one you use every five seconds (prioritizing Guarded Steel) eliminates the need to watch that either.

    The only buff I even have configured is my teleporting buff. If this was three months ago I would feel differently, but since phantom blow can be macroed, and Rift guard and Guarded steel are the same ability...well....
    Na man I 100% agree with you. My fault for coming off as an ***
    "You lost me at Balance"

  15. #15
    Telaran Minervah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    55

    Default

    If you need help tracking ur buffs than use this configuration with KaruulAlerts

    http://i.imgur.com/UA4L8.jpg

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts