+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ShazzamCrucia

Thread: Rogue tank, is this a viable spec?

  1. #1
    Telaran amace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    52

    Default Rogue tank, is this a viable spec?

    Fairly new at tanking and made this build
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...tIuRdqkoM.xhkm

    Leaning more towards some bard buffs increasing endurance and using motif of tenacity.

    any feed back would be welcome!

  2. #2
    Soulwalker Cass85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Hey, personally i would suggest using
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...IuRdqkkR.xb.xh

    at the start whilst gaining items and stuff although i would suggest you ceck out this link http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ing-guide.html
    as it is a really good guide, Not sure how up to #date it is but it gives you a really good idea of Rogue tanking/builds/gearing etc

  3. #3
    Soulwalker Cass85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ion-1-0-a.html

    There is also this guide which is a bit more indepth =)

  4. #4
    Soulwalker Bernini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    17

    Default

    It might be good for 5 man dungeons. Don't use it when there's a bard around though it'll piss them off.

    A better idea might be go deeper in Bladedancer for Turn the Tide.
    Last edited by Bernini; 02-06-2012 at 12:10 AM.

  5. #5
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,579

    Default

    If you want an hybrid for 5 mans try this:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0z.EGt0uRzzzoM

    Been meaning to try it for ages, finally got round to it tonight and it was a lot of fun.

    Planar Vortex holds the mobs on you whilst you plink away with your motifs, pop up spotters, pop a virtuoso and spam coda of restoration, etc etc.
    Last edited by ewarwoo; 02-06-2012 at 05:53 AM.
    Rumpunch (W) - Rumedy (C) - Chaos Inc of Laethys
    Rumbelina (W) - Rummstein (R) - Rumic (M) - Seraphim of Laethys
    My warriors be mostly using......

  6. #6
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,579

    Default

    Bah, too late to edit, try this instead, should be more survivable:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0z.xIt0uRzVzoM

    I did change the spec I had planned, just realised I built the wrong one. Oops!
    Rumpunch (W) - Rumedy (C) - Chaos Inc of Laethys
    Rumbelina (W) - Rummstein (R) - Rumic (M) - Seraphim of Laethys
    My warriors be mostly using......

  7. #7
    Champion ShazzamCrucia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Tank specs with bard can work for 5-mans and for certain 10man fights. 44rs/22brd is what i run for silgen so I can provide run speed and some of the buffs while still being able to take the hits.

    It depends mainly on your gear and the quality of your heals. You are giving up 0.5% mitigation for every point less than 51 in riftstalker.

    I wouldn't recommend 34rs/32bard for tanking as you will be fairly squishy, this spec is for trolling in pvp. Also 32 bard without points in resonance is a baddddddd idea.



    In general, I wouldn't go past 14 bard. This nets you tenacity and jeopardy which are nice. If you are overgeared you may as well just tank 5mans in a modified blinkblade and guardian phase, lol. You'll contribute more in the form of tank dps than half-baked bard buffs, imo.
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    125

    Default

    If you're new to tanking, I'd stay away from any spec that doesn't have 51 riftstalker in it. For tanking random 5-mans, I'd go with the first spec Cass85 posted (though I like to drop a point in the armor anthem). It's a good spec to play before you get some decent tank gear and you're still a bit short on endurance.

  9. #9
    Isz
    Isz is offline
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    You should have 51 points in RS for the improved guardian phase. Scatter the Shadows has saved me multiple times when theres a temporary healer bork of some sort.

    The bard stuff will stop being useful after experts, but during experts it's fine because 90% of the time your support will want to go dps anyway. The only bard aspects you'll use is the buffs, don't go thinking about using cadence as a tank.

    For raiding I would throw the 10 into bd for combat pose/false blade and the other 5 in bard for the health increase. it's not TOO important what you do with the last 5 points or so in this build, its mostly the 51 in RS IMO.

    I rogue tank up to R1's right now.

  10. #10
    Champion ShazzamCrucia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isz View Post

    For raiding I would throw the 10 into bd for combat pose/false blade and the other 5 in bard for the health increase. it's not TOO important what you do with the last 5 points or so in this build, its mostly the 51 in RS IMO.

    I rogue tank up to R1's right now.
    Combat Pose does not stack with bard fanfares. Those 2 points are wasted.

    The following 2 specs will get you through all content in the game:

    51RS/8bladedancer/7ranger - all around, what I use for 95% of fights

    51RS/8ranger/7bard - magic mit spec (garau and...uh...yea)



    Alternatives:

    51RS/8bladedancer/7bard - if you really want that hp. 4%mit>5%hp imo
    41RS/17BD/8ranger - max phys mitigation IF you dodge/parry enough to keep TtT up making this useful-ish on murd, matron and various fights with loads of adds
    Last edited by ShazzamCrucia; 02-06-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

  11. #11
    Isz
    Isz is offline
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShazzamCrucia View Post
    Combat Pose does not stack with bard fanfares. Those 2 points are wasted.

    The following 2 specs will get you through all content in the game:

    51RS/8bladedancer/7ranger - all around, what I use for 95% of fights

    51RS/8ranger/7bard - magic mit spec (garau and...uh...yea)



    Alternatives:

    51RS/8bladedancer/7bard - if you really want that hp. 4%mit>5%hp imo
    41RS/17BD/8ranger - max phys mitigation IF you dodge/parry enough to keep TtT up making this useful-ish on murd, matron and various fights with loads of adds
    I forgot about that combat pose fanfare thing, good call. I may try adding in ranger tonite and see how I like it.

  12. #12
    Champion ShazzamCrucia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isz View Post
    I forgot about that combat pose fanfare thing, good call. I may try adding in ranger tonite and see how I like it.
    I swear by it. Being able to tag mobs with quick shot is really nice too.
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

  13. #13
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShazzamCrucia View Post
    I wouldn't recommend 34rs/32bard for tanking as you will be fairly squishy, this spec is for trolling in pvp. Also 32 bard without points in resonance is a baddddddd idea.

    In general, I wouldn't go past 14 bard. This nets you tenacity and jeopardy which are nice. If you are overgeared you may as well just tank 5mans in a modified blinkblade and guardian phase, lol. You'll contribute more in the form of tank dps than half-baked bard buffs, imo.
    Yeah, I have tanked them in my solo build for DPS before and gone OK, its just something different. Its fun barding whilst you passively hold aggro.

    And its definitely survivable, as I say, I screwed up and made the wrong build from before I refined it and still survived Cardeceus Rise.

    I hear what you're saying re: resonance but and further editted to this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...mz.xIt0uRzVzoM

    Will be running it out in some ts tonight for Lols.
    Rumpunch (W) - Rumedy (C) - Chaos Inc of Laethys
    Rumbelina (W) - Rummstein (R) - Rumic (M) - Seraphim of Laethys
    My warriors be mostly using......

  14. #14
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,579

    Default

    Tasnked all the way through Cardeceus (upper) with it tonight woth no issues and tanked half of DSM before I decided to go for big pulls instead of buffing the party.

    It's most definitely viable, buit would suggest you need to be overgeared for the content to run it.
    Rumpunch (W) - Rumedy (C) - Chaos Inc of Laethys
    Rumbelina (W) - Rummstein (R) - Rumic (M) - Seraphim of Laethys
    My warriors be mostly using......

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts