+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heat Retention + Impale

Default Heat Retention + Impale

Once again at work theory crafting.

Heat Retention:
    Each stack increases non physical damage by 2% on 5 stacks next finisher does 30% more damage.Now on the finisher note it says nothing about being a non physical buff.

My question is, will this increase Impale by 30%, and if so I have some testing to do with 4 piece sin, Heat Retention, and Impale.

The reason I am asking this is because I am trying to fine tune my 33Sin 33NB PvP spec.
    What I am thinking is 5 point Heat Retention, Impale, Slip. Let the Impale tick off.
    Jagged, Puncture = 5cp, add another Impale.
    Backstab, Dusk Strike, Primal Strike 5cp 5 Heat Retention
    SOD, Pop Ebon, and Burn.

Thoughts?

Before OMG 33Sin 33NB = garbage
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxgQD...17aPaClsR42Mrl

This is just after theory crafting the build, this post is to tune it further. I think it has a lot more potential than what I display here.
    Last edited by Am0n; 02-04-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    "You lost me at Balance"

Champion

Seems like it would be hard to do the bleed and slip without hidden veil vs a lot of classes. Either way, heat retention might work out better on SoD than impale. It would depend on what you're fighting and if you're using the sin 4pc, nb 4pc, or neither.

Quote Originally Posted by rennlc View Post
    Seems like it would be hard to do the bleed and slip without hidden veil vs a lot of classes. Either way, heat retention might work out better on SoD than impale. It would depend on what you're fighting and if you're using the sin 4pc, nb 4pc, or neither.
    I just need to know if it works or not lol. Getting away isn't an issue.
    Because SOD has a CD, the purpose is getting the target as low as possible, before popping SOD and Ebon Fury.
    No offense but you need to read the entire post before saying it will work better on one or the other.
    I am aware what will cause more damage, but being a Rogue isn't always about straight in your face DPS either.

And of course, different targets call for different strategies.
    But Heat Retention will work with Impale? I wasn't sure if the tooltip was misleading or not, and the modifier only worked if it was a non-physical buff.
    Another question, this one I am thinking the answer is no, but you never know and maybe someone else has tested this.

Heat Retention. Does it just add damage to Deadly Strike? Or will it also further buff Deadly Dance stacks?
    Like I said I am assuming it will only buff the initial finisher, not the effect there after.
    Last edited by Am0n; 02-04-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    "You lost me at Balance"

I ment non-physical finisher not buff >.< damn timer.
    "You lost me at Balance"

I just don't think it is feasible to manage your heat retention stacks in a fast paced environment like pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    I just don't think it is feasible to manage your heat retention stacks in a fast paced environment like pvp.
    Will it effect each Impale tick or just the first though? Thats all I really need to know.
    This is mainly an anti Warrior spec I am workin on, that will give me something more fun than Sin/RS

If it works with every tick, then I know I can make it work.
    Just at work and can't really test on a dummy atm lol.

As for managing the Heat Retention it really isn't to hard. You are going to use 3 abilities after 5 cps on the first rotation to drop the buffed Impale then slip away, you slip away and wait. When you come back in you pop sidesteps to keep incoming damage to a minimum, gives you enough time to ramp up to another 5 stacks before going into major burst mode, also after you first come out you drop another impale to keep pressure, which will work out perfectly because it will take 2 gcds for your first 5 cps after slip, and 3 for the next.

I have the rotation down, just not certain if it will work with all the impale ticks or just the first. I know SOD it works with all ticks so I am hoping it is the same for Impale.

Also the semi slow ramp up isn't a big deal if you compare it to the old SC lol, and if you have 4 piece Sin 60% damage buff to an Impale is more than worth it.
    Last edited by Am0n; 02-04-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    "You lost me at Balance"

I don't think heat retention will work on impale because it is a physical finisher.

I don't think heat retention will work on impale because it is a physical finisher.
    Yeah that was my concern, the tooltip is a bit shady. It doesn't say anything about the finisher being physical or non physical but it says the 2% per stack is for non physical builders only.

If no one can do it now, I will test it after I get off work tomorrow. I am pretty curious about this.
    "You lost me at Balance"

Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    Yeah that was my concern, the tooltip is a bit shady. It doesn't say anything about the finisher being physical or non physical but it says the 2% per stack is for non physical builders only.

If no one can do it now, I will test it after I get off work tomorrow. I am pretty curious about this.
    Oops my bad! Raiding on my alt atm. I'll test it afterwards. After re-reading the tooltip I think you are right.

Oops my bad! Raiding on my alt atm. I'll test it afterwards. After re-reading the tooltip I think you are right.
    I really hope so. I have so many ideas running in my head atm if it does work that way. For some nice new PvP specs.

And ty, post your findings here if you don't mind, and I will have some new vids up of some unique builds by this Tuesday =P
    "You lost me at Balance"

Seems people understand how heat retention works wrong.

Heat retention has 2 buffs activated on user, 1st one is increasing damage of your non-physical attacks for each stack, 2nd one is after reaching 5 stacks of Heat retention you gain new buff which is increasing damage of next finisher ability you use.

So yes It's increasing Impale's damage. People used to have build in 1.0 or 1.1 MM/NB combo like 27mm/32nb/7rng I totaly don't remember build but was using scourge of darkness and dead eye combo as macro and Heat Retention was increasing damage of deadeye shot too.That days rapid fire shot was just increasing attack speed or cast speed which again I don't remember.

In short, yes It's increasing.
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime (Level 60), Why trion bankrupted in nutshell
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

Quote Originally Posted by aileen View Post
    Seems people understand how heat retention works wrong.

Heat retention has 2 buffs activated on user, 1st one is increasing damage of your non-physical attacks for each stack, 2nd one is after reaching 5 stacks of Heat retention you gain new buff which is increasing damage of next finisher ability you use.

So yes It's increasing Impale's damage. People used to have build in 1.0 or 1.1 MM/NB combo like 27mm/32nb/7rng I totaly don't remember build but was using scourge of darkness and dead eye combo as macro and Heat Retention was increasing damage of deadeye shot too.That days rapid fire shot was just increasing attack speed or cast speed which again I don't remember.

In short, yes It's increasing.
    Thats what I thought, but does it increase every tic the same as SOD, or just the first?
    Also I think we were all aware of both buffs =P

What we weren't aware of is whether or not the tool tip was misleading and both buffs were non-physical or not. Thank you!
    Last edited by Am0n; 02-04-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    "You lost me at Balance"

Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    Thats what I thought, but does it increase every tic the same as SOD, or just the first?
    Also I think we were all aware of both buffs =P
    It's increasing all SoD damage not first tick of it since SoD stacks stored on you, ofc damage of ticks will change to target to target and other active buffs.
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime (Level 60), Why trion bankrupted in nutshell
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

Quote Originally Posted by aileen View Post
    It's increasing all SoD damage not first tick of it since SoD stacks stored on you, ofc damage of ticks will change to target to target and other active buffs.
    But will all the Impale ticks benefit from Heat Retention, or just the first?
    I am pretty sure the answer is yes, because that is how it reacts with SoD. I think you are misunderstanding me. Sorry if I didn't make it clearer.

I don't mean how SoD effects the follow up abilities. I mean how Heat Retention effects SoD.
    Last edited by Am0n; 02-04-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    "You lost me at Balance"

RIFT Guide Writer

The 30% on a finisher from heat retention works for all finishers. It doesn't have to be a NB finisher.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast