+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Gery

Thread: Macro lag test results

RIFT Guide Writer

Default Macro lag test results

Now that bladedancer is at least somewhat viable raid build it has become very common to hear the term macro lag and the recommendations to not macro anything in BD because of it. I had never really encountered noticeable problems with macros so initially I kind of dismissed it as being a high latency issue which would only affect me on pts. After all on PTS I had noticed much more trouble spending my energy than on live when testing various builds.

However I decided to test if the effect existed on live server. I started by making a 32 bard, 18 BD, 16 MM build to give me unlimited energy selfbuffed with fervor and combat efficiency. All through the tests I used short ability queue except for test 7. Latency was steady at around 60ms.

Test 1:
    a macro of precision strike > quick strike > keen strike, deadly strike at 5 combo points
    Result: 256 attacks in 297 seconds, or 0.862 attacks per second

Test 2:
    a macro of precision strike > quick strike, keen strike manually, deadly strike at 5 combo points
    Result: 297 attacks in 319 seconds, or 0.931 attacks per second

Test 3:
    no macros, manually alternate keen strike and quick strike, deadly strike at 5 combo points
    Result: 288 attacks in 307 seconds, or 0.938 attacks per second

Test 4:
    just spam keen strike, deadly strike at 5 combo points
    Result: 289 attacks in 310 seconds, or 0.932 attacks per second

Test 5:
    macro of empowered shot > swift shot, finish with hasted shot at 5 combo points
    Result: 290 attacks in 309 seconds, or 0.938 attacks per second

Test 6:
    macro of empowered shot > swift shot, finish with deadeye shot at 5 combo points
    Result: 265 attacks in 314 seconds, 53 of the attacks were deadeye shot and when those are counted as 1.5 attacks each it becomes 291.5 attacks, or 0.928 attacks per second

Test 7:
    just manual keen strike, finish with deadly strike at 5 combo points but this time using full ability queue instead of short queue
    Result: 288 attacks in 310 seconds, or 0.929 attacks per second

Test 8:
    macro of empowered shot > hasted shot, manual swift shot, macro used to fire empowered shot with the same button as the finisher
    Result: 296 attacks in 315 seconds, or 0.94 attacks per second

The findings here are that no matter what I do I can't get to 1 attack per second ratio, it seems limited to 1 attack / (1 second + latency) which means 6-7% less attacks than a 1 second GCD would mathematically allow.

The second finding is that keen strike in a macro with quick strike/precision strike indeed totally messes up the attacks over time ratio and will cause you to lose a lot dps like it has been reported. Macroing precision strike and quick strike together however caused no issues.

great Testing and thanks for testing another soul also (MM)

Good test, thank you. I was too lazy to do it but im glad someone put this to bed.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Telaran

Very well done test and concise data with good controls ^_^

I will have to put a link to this on my guild website so the other rogues can stop arguing with me about wanting to put KS/QS/PS on the same macro.

Ascendant

did you set command queuing to instant?

Good test. The "macro lag" comes from abilities that have conditional attacks as far as I know. Not from ability cool downs. Your max efficiency is going to be 1- ping/1000.

This is discussed at length in Val's RW thread if you want to dig into it for more info.
    Seb - R40 OP PVP Warrior
    Solo Tanking Akylios - But I hate tanking Plutonus.
    New WF Idea for Rift
    SAVE THE VK!!!

So macroing empowered shot is fine?

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    So macroing empowered shot is fine?
    Yes I tried MM specifically to try to recreate some kind of situation with empowered shot and the HK synergy crystal that would cause lag but I saw no negative effects to macroing it in any test. Macroing keen strike with precision strike or quick strike is the only thing to avoid, or at least the only one I have found.

I think this should be tested with backstab too, I'll have a go at it later tonight if nobody else has by then.

(Gear)

I dont believe it
    Last edited by Mammothtruk; 02-05-2012 at 07:38 AM.

+ Reply to Thread