+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Lightning Glyph V.S. Exquisite Whetstone

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default Lightning Glyph V.S. Exquisite Whetstone

    I am sure that this is a question that is asked quite often, but I am looking for input from a very experienced rogue who has run multiple tests on this. Plain and simple what is best for both Melee and Ranged dps specs? This is assuming 4p HK crystal and proper Sin/BD/NB/MM specs. I am unsure if the whetstones greatly outweigh the AP from the glyph, or if it is a close call. Thanks in advance for reading this thread that seems to always pop up.

  2. #2
    RIFT Guide Writer Zyzyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,040

    Default

    whetstones are better unless you are tanking

    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched Taleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    whetstones are better unless you are tanking
    What was said here,
    they are not even that close to think about using the glyph for added crit ( which if you are talking about HK, you should be close to cap anyways )

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    whetstones are better unless you are tanking
    Thank you very much for the answer, was a bit unsure about the dps aspect of it. The only spec that really matters is bard anyway though, it's kinda awesome.

  5. #5
    RIFT Guide Writer Gyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmode View Post
    Thank you very much for the answer, was a bit unsure about the dps aspect of it. The only spec that really matters is bard anyway though, it's kinda awesome.
    Remember, in a raiding situation you ALWAYS want 2 exquisite whetstones, unless you are tanking, then you want the glyph, but even for ranged specs you need 2 Exquisite Whetstones on at all times.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple Shikamari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    185

    Default

    I find the lightning to be more useful personally. I can pop that on for trash then go to exqusite on first boss pull. I use it for soloing and Experts, and always for tanking. The cheapo whetstone PA seems like it'd be good for a gheto buff but I'll take more dodge / ap / crit / deflect when soloing onslaughts with Guardian phase and vortex tapping everything.
    FT:4/4 EE:5/5 DQ:4/4

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Let me tell you why Whetstones are better.

    Whetstones add 5 DPS to your weapon.

    Lightning Glyph adds 1.5 DPS to your weapon

    How?

    30 Dex = 15 AP = 1.5 DPS
    30 Dex = 30 crit = .05-.1 DPS? (assuming properly geared)

  8. #8
    Ascendant Adnoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,882

    Default

    Exquisites are always best. What is interesting though, is that 30 dex is the same dmg as 4 DPS stones in 51BD.

    (Gear)

  9. #9
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Another thought is if they adjust the crit cap or change it's value, if the glyph becomes better for specs with serrated blades.
    Last edited by Kublakan; 02-04-2012 at 02:37 AM.
    Kublakan - 11/11 - Rogue
    Sig - was originally removed because it showed BOOBIES.
    LFGUILD BRO.

  10. #10
    Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironsolid View Post
    Let me tell you why Whetstones are better.

    Whetstones add 5 DPS to your weapon.

    Lightning Glyph adds 1.5 DPS to your weapon

    How?

    30 Dex = 15 AP = 1.5 DPS
    30 Dex = 30 crit = .05-.1 DPS? (assuming properly geared)
    You're right that they're better, but it doesn't work like that because whetstones are being calculated differently. If it were, wrath stones (1H +60 vengeance consumable aka +12 DPS with two) would add more damage than two 5 DPS whetstones in PvP but they don't currently.

  11. #11
    Rift Master Carthoris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kublakan View Post
    Another thought is if they adjust the crit cap or change it's value, if the glyph becomes better for specs with serrated blades.
    Whetstones will still be better.

  12. #12
    Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Yeah, if I had to guesstimate a reference amount, I'd say one exquisite whetstone is about the same DPS increase as an extra 100 AP. Even a change to the crit soft cap wouldn't get the lightning glyphs within shouting distance of that.
    Last edited by rennlc; 02-04-2012 at 12:30 PM.

  13. #13
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    211

    Default

    On a murdantix encounter, how much would ex. whetstones add to 51 mm vs no whetstones? I don't run them usually because we are far ahead of dps checks and I'm a cheap bastard. I don't care about having the highest dps, hence my playing mm. Just curious how much it would add to something like 51/14/1, everything else equal.


    E: for reference, i think I was about 2300 dps without ex. Whetstones last time. Would it be like 100 extra dps? 200?
    Last edited by Metallica11; 02-04-2012 at 02:54 PM.

  14. #14
    Rift Master Carthoris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metallica11 View Post
    On a murdantix encounter, how much would ex. whetstones add to 51 mm vs no whetstones? I don't run them usually because we are far ahead of dps checks and I'm a cheap bastard. I don't care about having the highest dps, hence my playing mm. Just curious how much it would add to something like 51/14/1, everything else equal.


    E: for reference, i think I was about 2300 dps without ex. Whetstones last time. Would it be like 100 extra dps? 200?
    From:

    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-marksman.html

    No stone/enhancement: 816 damage.
    2x Lightning glyph: 827 damage
    1 Fine whetstone + Lightning glyph: 841 damage
    2x Fine whetstone: 857 damage
    it looks like 2x fine (+4) is ~5% more DPS. Exquisite (+5) would be slightly higher.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts