+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New 50

Soulwalker

Default New 50

I have just recently subbed back to Rift, I played during early access and most of the open beta, but after a few months went back to WoW, and have played SWTOR. Unfortunately the latter wasn't that great and I have decided to come back here. The title is a bit misleading becuase I havent hit 50 quite yet, but should by tomorrow. I have a few questions for you all though. My end goal is to try and get into raiding. I have raided in EQ, EQ2, WoW, and pretty much every other game I have played.

First off, since I will have not that great gear once I hit 50 is there a certain build that works better with worse gear? I used the assstalker build while running a regular LH the other night and that seemed to work pretty well. Should i just continue using that or would something work better?

Secondly, I have read most of the rogue guides(Gyle's and Zyzyx) and they both mention specs and what not, but I didn't see much mention of gear progression. What kind of path should I follow? Especially now that they have combined t1 and t2 experts into 1 queue. Will I be able to just do t1 and t2 from the start or should i do something else first?

Lastly, are there still many guilds that do some of the progression raids? I am on the Gnarlwood shard. I definitely want to try to get into raids, especially before the new content comes out. From what i read that seems to be around March or April.

Thanks a lot for the help!!

Telaran

You should be able to jump right into Expert Dungeons.

Focus on getting the mark armor and the highest weapon DPS items you can get your hands on.

After you are ready to get into raids it's pretty much the same thing.

Once you get to ~1k physical crit rating in self buffs you want to start stacking AP and getting AP weapons/accessories while maintaining that rating. 1187 is the soft crit cap (going from 26 crit for 1% to 130 crit for 1% increase in crit rate) so you want to stay at about 1k self buffed so that in raid buffs you are near the cap but not over it.

Hope this helps, any other questions or concerns feel free to private message or if you're on Wolfsbane hit up Naesala.

As far as gear progression it just changed so old guides wouldn't matter much anyway.

You will probably want to run normal AP/CC/CR a bit, and get as much crafted gear as you can afford. Then start queuing for T2's (or are they technically T1's now? or just Expert Dungeons?). Once you are in pretty much full T2 gear, with as much crafted gear as you can afford, you are geared for raids and Master Modes (min 220 hit). From there on the gear progression is very straight forward. T1 raid gear -> 320 hit -> T2 raids.

Queue times are going to be kinda long as DPS though, so at least be sure to have a bard spec, and roll on every piece of tank leather you can, if you have any desire to tank.

Also, with regard to hit requirements, don't be afraid to rune up and run pug raids even if undergeared, as long as you can hit things you can be useful.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Telaran

Make a bard spec and Queue as support, it will speed it up quite a bit.

And yeah, just Expert Dungeons now >_>

The gearing up process from Expert to T1 raiding is very fast now though, since the hit on all the items and the stats on them is much higher, while the raids are much easier.

If I remember correctly, MM/Ranger and Sab are both decent builds for low gear levels. You can't really rely too much on the build guides that get posted on the forums, they're mostly written with near-BIS gear in mind with an eye on squeezing out as much DPS as physically possible, not for fresh 50s trying to gear up.

Grabbing a bard offspec is a great idea - more often than not the healer doesn't even need support and you can go DPS anyway, but it gets you in dungeons faster.

Otherwise, all expert dungeons have just been combined in one tier, so your basic progression is getting enough hit to queue for experts, and then spamming the hell out of them until you're raid ready. They you can start looking for PUG groups for raids - most moderately well-populated shards have a decent number of DH/GSB runs going on - or start looking around for a raiding guild that fits in with your schedule and playstyle.

+ Reply to Thread