+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Raid/T2 Dungeon Bard, is this a viable spec?

Default Raid/T2 Dungeon Bard, is this a viable spec?

There are a few types of battle bard about, usually melee. So i thought i would mess about with a Ranger Bard. The Ranger Greater essence works well with cadence, and also found Bestial Fury increases cadence too! Im still trying it out, was thinking of getting rid of Fanfare of Knowledge and the bard health just to get the dps increase from pets (raptor).

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...s0z.EcdVi0skVz

Any feed back would be nice!

Sword of Telara

From your title you are trying to put together something to work in Raids, and T2s right? A couple things to consider...

#1. Most raids are not going to want you along if you arn't a 51 bard.
    #2. Raids don't bring bards (A bard that is... ) along for their awesome heals, nor their awesome damage. These are not the areas to focus on when trying to provide the most you can. You are there as the Archon's less loved brother. You're kind of like Danny Devito from Twins. They may kid you and say you're cool like your brother, but they idolize him and his coolness a bit more than you'll ever get. You do have some awesome tricks that raids love though, which is my next point.

You are brought along to 1) Keep your motiffs up. 2) Keep your fanfares up, and put back on folks who have been rezed. 3) Do Verse of Joy at the right times, and every point after when it is off cooldown. 4) Use Coda of Jeapardy.. and not dare overwrite the debuffs your big brother Archon is putting on stuff. 5) Provide your meager amount of damage and meager amount of aoe healing as an afterthought.

As long as you are doing those above 5 things, you're a good bard and will be patted on the head for your efforts. If you fail at them, you will be resented and grumbled about. Long story short, 51 is key for the Verse of Joy. It's really a must. If you want to do ranger, that's interesting and I suppose workable. You can still get the shadowfire greater buff and thus AP out of a 14 or 15 point Ranger investment... though honestly... I'd probably either toss a shielding or HOT greater in it's place on a bard.
    Laban Rogue <That Guild>. Bad... good? I'm the guy with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Laban of C O View Post
    You are brought along to 1) Keep your motiffs up. 2) Keep your fanfares up, and put back on folks who have been rezed. 3) Do Verse of Joy at the right times, and every point after when it is off cooldown. 4) Use Coda of Jeapardy.. and not dare overwrite the debuffs your big brother Archon is putting on stuff. 5) Provide your meager amount of damage and meager amount of aoe healing as an afterthought.
    When is the best time to use Verse of joy? I havnt really done a proper Raid yet, only dungeons (T1/T2). So i dropped verse of joy as i didnt use it much. Should really get rid of "Raid" in the title and call it a dungeon bard.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by amace View Post
    When is the best time to use Verse of joy? I havnt really done a proper Raid yet, only dungeons (T1/T2). So i dropped verse of joy as i didnt use it much. Should really get rid of "Raid" in the title and call it a dungeon bard.
    Often it is in conjunction with... hmm, Wild Growth I believe? Folks will emote it out into raid chat or such, and you coincide with Verse of Joy. With the warrior better energy consumption, it will probably be less impactful than before, but the mana regen is very helpful for all your blue bars in the group. I've been on DPS duty for months now, but I started HK raiding barding. And in that, you have been expected to run a 51 pointer. Keeping up motiffs is one of the quickest signs of a good bard vs bad bard. Remember that hehe.
    Laban Rogue <That Guild>. Bad... good? I'm the guy with the gun.

There are a few types of battle bard about, usually melee. So i thought i would mess about with a Ranger Bard. The Ranger Greater essence works well with cadence, and also found Bestial Fury increases cadence too! Im still trying it out, was thinking of getting rid of Fanfare of Knowledge and the bard health just to get the dps increase from pets (raptor).

That's pretty similar to what I used to play in T1s and T2s when the game first came out.

As for raiding, I think bard will always have a spot. People like the stat buffs for their own personal dps so never get rid of the knowledge buff.

I'm pretty sure it's not optimal to bring a bard to raids anyone, even 20 man raids. Brought it up in guild and no one cared, people are more concerned about their personal dps then raid dps. As long as their personal dps will be higher from having a bard there.... there'll be a bard there.

Knowing that, focus on raid buffs in any bard spec. You could litterally keep motifs up and afk between recasts and no one will care. Drop motifs for any reason or miss a raid buff and people will think you're a bad bard... worse then if you afked and kept motifs up. I'm dead serious. Focus on buffs above all else.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Rift Disciple

I used to use a build similar to this before 1.6 and it was fun for T1s T2s where i could do average dps and provide bard support if needed. I feel 51 bard is overkill for non-raids but sometimes bard stuffs can help average PUGs in dungeons. I think it was 36 or 38 bard (points spent to have the rez) rest ranger. When i came back to game about a month ago this build was kinda lame so i swapped out ranger for MM and its pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Laban of C O View Post
    From your title you are trying to put together something to work in Raids, and T2s right? A couple things to consider...

#1. Most raids are not going to want you along if you arn't a 51 bard.
    #2. Raids don't bring bards (A bard that is... ) along for their awesome heals, nor their awesome damage. These are not the areas to focus on when trying to provide the most you can. You are there as the Archon's less loved brother. You're kind of like Danny Devito from Twins. They may kid you and say you're cool like your brother, but they idolize him and his coolness a bit more than you'll ever get. You do have some awesome tricks that raids love though, which is my next point.

As long as you are doing those above 5 things, you're a good bard and will be patted on the head for your efforts. If you fail at them, you will be resented and grumbled about. Long story short, 51 is key for the Verse of Joy. It's really a must. If you want to do ranger, that's interesting and I suppose workable. You can still get the shadowfire greater buff and thus AP out of a 14 or 15 point Ranger investment... though honestly... I'd probably either toss a shielding or HOT greater in it's place on a bard.
    Sorry m8 but I strongly disagree.

U are far better than an archon period. And the statement that bards aren't there for healing is a common missconception. Let me explain.

U got the most skills that proc on healing effects. And a bard can easily outheal a cloro if he knows how to play. Also don't dare to debuff?! Are you high m8? Bard debuffs are far superior to archon debufs. Sure they last only 1 min but they are aoe. The only reason why archon is consider better is flaring power and the faster cast speed. Everything else a bard can do iust aa good and he can heal very well. And with proper greater easences and trinkets ur better than a middle class cloro. Remember cadence doesn't miss regardless of hit cloros can.

So dear sir ur argument is invalid.
    Last edited by Igneel; 02-03-2012 at 08:01 AM.

Sword of Telara

It seems people arent really aware in general about how much healing a bard can provide.
    I've taken to posting the occasional parse to give them an idea of what we can do and its gradually making them more aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Chovie View Post
    It seems people arent really aware in general about how much healing a bard can provide.
    I've taken to posting the occasional parse to give them an idea of what we can do and its gradually making them more aware.
    We know how much bard can heal just as we know how easy it is to pad the hps meter on fight where raid damage is predictable. The point is no one care, the healing bard do would have been overhealed by *icar/chloro

Bard priority:
    1) Don't die
    2) Use the correct Anthem
    3) Rebuff people getting rezed
    4) Keep motifs up
    5) Keep jeopardy up
    5.1) If you're asked to play /15Ranger keep Piercing Shot going
    6) heals/dps/whatever if it doesn't interfere with 1 to 5.1

Baller bard can do it all, average bard should focus on the unique abilities they bring to the table (hint: it's not heals.)

Soulwalker

Knowing that, focus on raid buffs in any bard spec. You could literally keep motifs up and afk between recasts and no one will care. Drop motifs for any reason or miss a raid buff and people will think you're a bad bard... worse then if you afked and kept motifs up. I'm dead serious. Focus on buffs above all else.
    Which is kinda funny as it's better if you actually drop some motifs for a few seconds to make sure the mobs are debuffed (assuming no archon or lots of mobs) or spam a heal if that's needed.

You also left off the part where 1/2 the time it seems you are only there to provide runspeed, lol.

And sure bards can get some really high HPS in a certain situation (constant aoe damage). However most raid damage comes in spurts, so if the bard is beating out the chloro or cleric in hps, you have some major problems as they should be able to top everyone off in 1-3 secs.

Issue I have is, are bards supposed to be debuffers and healers as well as buffers? It's not plausable to try to do both, and trying to keep motifs up at the same time just a pita. Am definately in favor of candence extending motif duration whenever it's used. It just requires too many global cooldowns to try to get everything done with current durations. *shrug*

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Akizuki View Post
    We know how much bard can heal just as we know how easy it is to pad the hps meter on fight where raid damage is predictable. The point is no one care, the healing bard do would have been overhealed by *icar/chloro

Bard priority:
    1) Don't die
    2) Use the correct Anthem
    3) Rebuff people getting rezed
    4) Keep motifs up
    5) Keep jeopardy up
    5.1) If you're asked to play /15Ranger keep Piercing Shot going
    6) heals/dps/whatever if it doesn't interfere with 1 to 5.1

Baller bard can do it all, average bard should focus on the unique abilities they bring to the table (hint: it's not heals.)
    sigh.... no, the point is with a good bard you can drop a healer and take another dps while still getting the best buffs.I outheal chloro every time.

pad the hps meter?? LOL.

Wow, you guys really treat your bards like ****. Don't have the worst rogue in your raid bard, and don't tell him "keep motifs up and AFK", and maybe you wouldn't have such a terrible opinion of the soul.

@OP Bards are amazing, dedicated bards are frequently in demand in every raiding guild, and you should definitely go 51 Bard/10 MM/5 RS for raids. In experts VoJ is a lot less noticable, so you can get away with any hybrid spec that can bring all 3 fanfares and fervor/runspeed but that would be taking up another role slot so I would just use 51 bard again.
    Last edited by Carthoris; 02-03-2012 at 10:58 AM.

44 bard / 14 bd / 8 nb. like a boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Chovie View Post
    sigh.... no, the point is with a good bard you can drop a healer and take another dps while still getting the best buffs.I outheal chloro every time.

pad the hps meter?? LOL.
    Like I said, good bard can do it all.

High hps at the cost of low motifs uptime = bad bard

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Akizuki View Post
    Like I said, good bard can do it all.

High hps at the cost of low motifs uptime = bad bard
    agreed.

10/char

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast