+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Raid/T2 Dungeon Bard, is this a viable spec?

Sword of Telara

Can a bard bring some decent aoe healing to the board? Yeah. Can a bard even heal a T2 if they are ontop of their sh!t? Yeah. Do you bring a bard to a raid to heal? Hell no. I've barded Warfronts, I've barded Raids (generally HK). My use in both is about the same. I'm not going to provide the same healing as a cleric, suuure I can out heal a mage who's not ontop of their game. But I am there to buff. I make my team (raid)'s dps higher, I make them harder to kill, and I generally make the team work better. There is a reason you have 1 bard in a raid. Just like there is a reason you want 1 archon generally. Well built/played ones are a great help to the raid. Neither is there for the healing they provide. That is like some happy frosting on the cake. You don't try to make a cake out of frosting though... generally it tastes like garbage and makes you sick.

If you are part of a group that tells multiple rogues to go bard... for the heals... I'd hate to try HK with you.
    Laban Rogue <That Guild>. Bad... good? I'm the guy with the gun.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Laban of C O View Post
    Can a bard bring some decent aoe healing to the board? Yeah. Can a bard even heal a T2 if they are ontop of their sh!t? Yeah. Do you bring a bard to a raid to heal? Hell no. I've barded Warfronts, I've barded Raids (generally HK). My use in both is about the same. I'm not going to provide the same healing as a cleric, suuure I can out heal a mage who's not ontop of their game. But I am there to buff. I make my team (raid)'s dps higher, I make them harder to kill, and I generally make the team work better. There is a reason you have 1 bard in a raid. Just like there is a reason you want 1 archon generally. Well built/played ones are a great help to the raid. Neither is there for the healing they provide. That is like some happy frosting on the cake. You don't try to make a cake out of frosting though... generally it tastes like garbage and makes you sick.

If you are part of a group that tells multiple rogues to go bard... for the heals... I'd hate to try HK with you.
    yup, me and 19 other bards took down akylios. It took us 3 days to cadence him down.

also is it possible to get motifs on a macro? a bit of a pain when they use half a standard bar (buttons 1-5 on mine)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by amace View Post
    also is it possible to get motifs on a macro? a bit of a pain when they use half a standard bar (buttons 1-5 on mine)

Actually, you CAN compress all of your motifs into just 2 buttons but it will take practice to master using however it works well. I actually use this because I play with a 360 controller using my two triggers for my ctrl and alt keys however... the macros I use are as follows

#show Motif of Bravery
    cast [alt] Motif of Focus
    cast [ctrl] Motif of Tenacity
    cast Motif of Bravery

This is your macro that will allow you to maintain resonance.

The next is your healing motif macro, obviously we want to keep this up at all times too.

#show Motif of Regeneration
    cast [ctrl] motif of regeneration
    cast motif of grandeur

Now, the order of use will be to hit the first macro button then follow it by holding ctrl and hitting it again, then holding alt and hitting it one last time. Repeat those steps only omit the alt for the second one.

Also, it can be done a lot easier if you have at least a 5 button mouse by changing the keybinding of the ctrl and alt keys to your extra mouse buttons. Hope this helps, and don't listen to these people a bard CAN substitute a raid healer, I have seen it done many times pulling out ~6k HPS. As for Jeopardy, make sure it is coordinated with the raid, you don't want to use it when a warrior uses spotters order or an archon uses w/e the hell they use as an equivalent. Still your number one priority is to keep buffs up, especially the first macro to maintain Resonance. Verse of Joy is a coordinated skill that if used with Wild Growth will greatly relieve 2nd bar pressure of the raid, although if someone calls for it without Wild Growth being up and your VoJ is up, pop it. During a single fight if you have popped VoJ make sure you use it on CD. Other than that heal ur *** off. Good Luck!

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by amace View Post
    Zombii's response is probably about the best you can manage with them at the moment without going to external applications or specialized hardware. If you're uncomfortable with using such things as the G15 keyboard/pad/whatever or Nostromo or applications like AutoHotkey (which, IIRC, is listed as a valid software for multi-boxers in conjunction with Rift) it's really about the only thing you can do.

As a solution it sucks because it's not as easy to use as what you can do with external support. It's also not very user-friendly if you already bind control/alt variants of keys like I do. I have alt, shift, and (due to scripting/macro'ing with AHK) control+alt key bindings for a large number of hot keys so using modifiers like that in a macro would be pointless as it would either prevent me from or interfere with the proper functioning of other key bindings.

None of that detracts from the usefulness of such macros, it just emphasizes that the best solution you can achieve with the tools provided by Trion is far from perfect here.

All that said, if you don't mind going to external support for this sort of thing you might try downloading AutoHotkey, installing it, and playing around with it a bit. I've contacted Trion twice now, the first time including the code, regarding using AHK to script/macro/automate the rotation of Motifs, but not their usage, and twice now they've closed the ticket without a response. Assumptions are rarely good, but in this case I'm forced to assume that if they're going to ignore my ticket that either it's not a ToS/EULA violation or if it is it's the sort of violation that they will likewise ignore. Do not, however, take my word for it, and file a support ticket through the main website yourself if you want to be absolutely sure. If they deign to answer your ticket I'd be interested in reading the response, followed shortly after by my confirming it by filing another ticket myself.

That said I cover the idea in my topic on the subject. Some of the posts, probably most, are rambling, but if you can figure it out it'll be useful.

I've since updated the script I use to something more friendly to multiple callings as well, but I'd highly recommend caution in modifying it. As is it's functionally no different than the ones in my topic, but the one I'm using now is more conducive to modification that would let you automate entire rotations. Worse still it wouldn't be hard to add in a timing element to have an entire rotation scripted so that when you press a single button it fires off each hot key in order at set intervals with no further input from you.

The latter usage, in my opinion, would be a clear violation of the ToS/EULA. The second usage, whereby each time you hit the trigger key the script cycles through a hot key to redirect the output to, would be no more than a logical extension of using it for Motifs if you use it for a combat rotation, but doing so would reduce your responsiveness to changing situations while in combat. You might find yourself in a situation where you need ot use ability X followed by Z, but the script is still cycling through C, D, and E, and if you use X and Z now when you hit those points of the script there will be dead zones where hitting the key will effectively do nothing for two GCDs.

Having said that this is the current script I use, and please be sure to read through my topic as it will contain a basic explanation and set of usage instructions that are still (mostly) applicable. Again, feel free to contact Trion's customer service if you're interested in using AHK and scripts to make Motifs easier to use but worried about the legal side of things. Hopefully you'll get a better response than just being ignored.
    Code:
    	^!+Home::
    	{
    		if CycleMode
    		{
    			CycleMode := false
    			MsgBox, Cycle mode off.
    		}
    		else
    		{
    			CycleMode := true
    			MsgBox, Cycle mode on.
    			GCDTimer := 1000
    			CommandList := ["+!1", "+!2", "+!3", "+!4", "+!5"]
    			CounterAMin := 1
    			CounterAMax := 5
    			CounterBMin := 1
    			CounterBMax := 3
    			KeyStroke := false
    		}
    		return
    	}

`::
    	{
    		if Counter < %CounterAMin%
    			Counter := CounterAMin

if Counter > %CounterAMax%
    			Counter := CounterAMin

if CycleMode
    		{
    			if not KeyStroke
    			{
    				TempCommand := CommandList[Counter]
    				SendInput %TempCommand%
    				Counter++
    				KeyStroke := true
    				SetTimer, ResetKeystroke, %GCDTimer%
    				return
    			}
    		}

return
    	}

!`::
    	{
    		if Counter < %CounterBMin%
    			Counter := CounterBMin

if Counter > %CounterBMax%
    			Counter := CounterBMin

if CycleMode
    		{
    			if not KeyStroke
    			{
    				TempCommand := CommandList[Counter]
    				SendInput %TempCommand%
    				Counter++
    				KeyStroke := true
    				SetTimer, ResetKeystroke, %GCDTimer%
    				return
    			}
    		}

return
    	}

^`::
    	{
    		Counter := CommandAMin
    		return
    	}

ResetKeystroke:
    	{
    		KeyStroke := false
    		return
    	}

Plane Touched

Hands up who doesn't bother with RS combat buffs as you would be getting overhealed anyway!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2