+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone been messing with Ranger?

Isz
    Champion of Telara

Default Has anyone been messing with Ranger?

I spent some time last night trying to work out a good 51pt ranger build. I went with 15 in MM for rapid fire shot and the weapon enchant+extra damage. I have a few questions for anyone that has been working with dps ranger in 1.7:

Which pet offers the greatest dps, raptor or dire?

Is splinter shot a loss of dps since I can get bleed with the basic shot for the pet effect on bleeding? (quick or swift cant remember which is ranger)

Do the pet abilities go off more often if I put them in my macros, or do they automatically do them as soon as possible?

For aoe dps would trick shot+aoe finisher be a good start then rain? I'm not sure how to optomize aoe here.

Any advice on the 51 pt ranger build would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

I was messing around a bit, but not much.

I'd try something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...sfuekskqz.VV0G

I was thinking try and use compound attack as a finisher and stay relatively close to melee. I'm not sure if it'd work. For attacks, use the ranger crystal and splinter.

I ended up focusing on BD so didn't test too much.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Isz
    Champion of Telara

I hate to shamelessly bump, but can anyone else add to this discussion please?

I thought we had a few dps rangers hanging around here.

I would think some variation of Hoku's old spec would do more then a ranged Ranger spec.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...cf0skMz.Vf0G0k

Run the Rng crystal and use Splinter and Shadow fire on CD. Good builders and has Deadly dance. I first thought it would work after seeing the Rng buffs, but after some initial dissapointing testing and other feedback from this forum, I shelved it and didn't put any more effort into the spec.

Plus pets are an annoyance in most cases, only worth running if the spec actually did well.

Raptor has always been the best DPS if you have access to it. Splinter is a DPS-gain with the instant-cast crystal bonus. Macro your pet abilities. Rain of Arrows is better than TS for more than I want to say 3 mobs.

My guildies last night were reporting higher ST DPS (in the 150 range on a dummy) with 51 ranger/15 MM than 51 MM/15 ranger, but you lose such a significant amount of utility, mobility, and energy management that none of us are going to run it. It was still below bloodstalker and 51 bd, so you wouldn't run it if you wanted to maximize DPS.

I keep seeing references to stuff like 32 sin/32 ranger/2 rs, but haven't seen any data or specifics.
    Last edited by Carthoris; 02-02-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carthoris View Post
    Raptor has always been the best DPS if you have access to it. Splinter is a DPS-gain with the instant-cast crystal bonus. Macro your pet abilities. Rain of Arrows is better than TS for more than I want to say 3 mobs.

My guildies last night were reporting higher ST DPS (in the 150 range on a dummy) with 51 ranger/15 MM than 51 MM/15 ranger, but you lose such a significant amount of utility, mobility, and energy management that none of us are going to run it. It was still below bloodstalker and 51 bd, so you wouldn't run it if you wanted to maximize DPS.

I keep seeing references to stuff like 32 sin/32 ranger/2 rs, but haven't seen any data or specifics.
    I also found 51rng/15mm close to 51mm on PTS, though i diddnt manage to beat it. (MM still ~250 ahead)
    Make sure you either are quick enough to keep Feral agression on CD or macro it to a finisher.

The Hokospec with the ranger crystal is very interesting, but the 'melee ranger' like builds were never my taste.

If you do try a 51 ranger variant, I would also test 15 assasin as well. With the changes to assasin poisions benefitting from attack power you may well find that low levels of Electrified Munitions do not stack up to low levels of poisions. Im not sure.

In my testing, Bloodied Blow (raptor pet) was very comfortably the greatest dps contributor.

PS: I did test the old Sozu spec also, I could not get anywhere near my 51rng/15mm parse. Put this down to alot of pet damage mod and feral agression being lost and only mediocre gain to the ranger abilities themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Isz View Post
    I hate to shamelessly bump, but can anyone else add to this discussion please?

I thought we had a few dps rangers hanging around here.
    I used to play ranger quite a bit, I can give you some playstyle tips if you like. It was never optimal, I just did it for a change of pace. Managing the pet on Akylios added some spice to the encounter and whatnot.

With 1.7 I switched to melee. I just got a relic 1 hander and with the melee buffs, I respeced my PAs to melee. I dropped my ranger build.

51rng-15bd really mitigates a lot of the ranger downside. You get a ranged interrupt, it's just playing with compound attack as a finsher that'd be the issue. I haven't tried it in a raid... if it works it should be pretty good aoe (best for rogues) and if it doesn't then ranger looked to me to be a dead end.

Ranger is very energy starved. I gave my feedback about the changes, and nothing else was done so dropped the spec. If anything I'd test out 45rng-21bd... you can really use that energy return from BD and if you can use compound then the new combat culmination would be nice too.

Something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...uekskVz.VV0Ghc
    Last edited by Mayi; 02-02-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    I used to play ranger quite a bit, I can give you some playstyle tips if you like. It was never optimal, I just did it for a change of pace. Managing the pet on Akylios added some spice to the encounter and whatnot.

With 1.7 I switched to melee. I just got a relic 1 hander and with the melee buffs, I respeced my PAs to melee. I dropped my ranger build.

51rng-15bd really mitigates a lot of the ranger downside. You get a ranged interrupt, it's just playing with compound attack as a finsher that'd be the issue. I haven't tried it in a raid... if it works it should be pretty good aoe (best for rogues) and if it doesn't then ranger looked to me to be a dead end.

Ranger is very energy starved. I gave my feedback about the changes, and nothing else was done so dropped the spec. If anything I'd test out 45rng-21bd... you can really use that energy return from BD and if you can use compound then the new combat culmination would be nice too.

Something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...uekskVz.VV0Ghc
    I ran a variant of the Rng/BD last 2300 on Murd, not impressed. "/
    Kublakan - 11/11 - Rogue
    Sig - was originally removed because it showed BOOBIES.
    LFGUILD BRO.

Telaran

2300 ??!! what the ...
    51Ranger ?? how was the healthbar of your pet ??

did you tried it on zilas, zimara grug or garau too ?

ive only tested BD51 and the goodold bloodstalker in adp.
    my result was, bd51: trash NICE, boss NOT

Rift Master

LOL Ranger.

Hopefully SAB gets the same effort put into it in 1.8 along with our PA's
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyle View Post
    A rogue can top the parse on every boss in HK if they use the right spec, and it's been that way for months.

Telaran

ranger isnt that much LOL
    51ranger/15marksman parses quite good (on dummie), about the same amount as 51MM, on encounters with target switch or running parts it "should" be better.

Telaran

We used 51Ranger just for fun on Molinar last night:

51MM 15RNG with Ranger Crystal: 2650 Dps
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...mmmolinar.jpg/

51RNG 15MM: 2500 Dps
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ermolinar.jpg/

We had about the same damage on Revenants. Seems like it's not that bad.
    Frostbringer - Brutwacht EU

HK 11/11

Plane Walker SolitaireSurrender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carthoris View Post

On the dummy, 32/32/2 parses well. The buffs from ranger are basically a less mobile version of Riftstalker which might not be all that bad since blinking on some bosses is hazardous. It also has the ability to back off and hit from range. I have been testing with the Sin crystal and have had some positive results.

That is if you like running next to your pet.
    _____Reversecowbell | R50 Cleric___Lesscowbell | R80 Mage___Moarcowbell | R50 Rogue_____

The problem is a Rng build needs to parse higher then MM imo to warrant using it.

The pet is still a liability in several fights.
    Last edited by Hellebron; 02-03-2012 at 06:20 AM.

Rift Master

Wait, Ranger is less mobile? If you mean retreat and on the double, yes. But Ranger with the crystal has decidedly smaller dps loss while moving, as theres no cast time attacks and no dps loss while moving.

It also gets bolster and more HP than most rogue specs. The pet rarely dies, there's mechanics that one shot it, but you learn which ones that are and can get around it.

Also, use Assassin as 0 point soul to get access to the 0 point poison.

I also like a ranger spec on interrupt duty, like 42Rng/24MM/0Sin, as there's no cast time abilities that you need to stop so you can interrupt.

I keep 51Rng, 51MM and the interrupt Ranger spec, depending on the fight. They all have their advantages.
    Last edited by Mandarb; 02-03-2012 at 07:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast