+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saboteur

Default Saboteur

So, I made a new rogue, and decided to pick a soul I hadn't tried before. I know a lot of people seem to think it's not worth it right now, but it's really fun to play. Granted, I'm only about level seven so far, but running around like a nut and bombing things just makes me giggle inside, then laugh, then outright cackle. Besides, I'm not looking for anything hardcore, just something I can enjoy when I'm not leveling my cleric.

My main question regards what souls best complement it. Right now I have RS and NB, but I've also heard that Sin is better than NB because Charges count as poisons? Alternatively, would a Sab/Bard rogue work?
    Last edited by Astyr; 01-31-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Astyr
    Main Character: Warden/Sentinel ~ Cleric
    Guild: N/A | Faction: Defiants | Server: Harrow (US RP-PVP)

34 Bard for the mez and Sab without bleeds basically lets you kill any elite through infinite stunlocks.

If you're looking for straight up sab though, you need 20 into Assassin for "Poison potency" which is basically just +15% charge damage. The rest you can chuck into sab wherever you want.
    ~Quiescent

Awesome. Thanks.

Astyr
    Main Character: Warden/Sentinel ~ Cleric
    Guild: N/A | Faction: Defiants | Server: Harrow (US RP-PVP)

all that damage you have to kill those level 7 monsters stays the same. itll be the same damage when youre level 50, and in pvp itll hit for about 25 damage or so per charge. it currently takes about 18 minutes to kill a non elite mob in stilmoor as a sab and around 37 minutes to kill a non elite in ember isle.

Sword of Telara

Levels 10 - 49, Sab is a "blast" to play. Mainly pvp, but it is also ok for pve. Post 50, it's an estrode spec. With valor it becomes utterly worthless in pvp, and there are vastly superior specs for pve. I absolutely loved my sabo leveling up, and I hung onto it for a long while once I hit 50... till I realized it was like craddling a dead baby that was just better put to rest. :/
    Laban Rogue <That Guild>. Bad... good? I'm the guy with the gun.

Rift Chaser

I use Marksman and Riftstalker. I'm also a 51 point sab, so most people would consider my opinion worthless.

No points in Riftstalker still gives you Shadow Shift, which when combined with Adhesive Bomb is a very nice avoidance combo. Adhesive + Repelling Shot gives the same.

True to the initial soul description, Sab is very good at soloing, as long as you have good situational awareness. I can chain pull for hours and not take a single point of damage, as long as I don't get jumped by patrols or harried by respawns. Get caught off guard and you're pretty weak. Makes for a fun dynamic.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by charliekelly View Post
    all that damage you have to kill those level 7 monsters stays the same. itll be the same damage when youre level 50, and in pvp itll hit for about 25 damage or so per charge. it currently takes about 18 minutes to kill a non elite mob in stilmoor as a sab and around 37 minutes to kill a non elite in ember isle.
    With autoattacks maybe. Try visiting the trainer and upgrading your skills. Or maybe, you know, using any skill at all.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Laban of C O View Post
    Levels 10 - 49, Sab is a "blast" to play. Mainly pvp, but it is also ok for pve. Post 50, it's an estrode spec. With valor it becomes utterly worthless in pvp, and there are vastly superior specs for pve. I absolutely loved my sabo leveling up, and I hung onto it for a long while once I hit 50... till I realized it was like craddling a dead baby that was just better put to rest. :/
    his line on 50 sab pvp is why im riding my sub out for 2 more weeks or whatever is left...FIX SABATEUR TRION STOP SWEEPING IT UNDER THE TABLE CLEARLY NOONE AT THE BUILDING TESTS IT ON A REG BASIS

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    34 Bard for the mez and Sab without bleeds basically lets you kill any elite through infinite stunlocks.

If you're looking for straight up sab though, you need 20 into Assassin for "Poison potency" which is basically just +15% charge damage. The rest you can chuck into sab wherever you want.
    Only possible if you don't have HE which I believe is at 44 points into Sab. If you have that many points into Sab, you cannot use the trick you mentioned. At least not effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by DTM300 View Post
    Only possible if you don't have HE which I believe is at 44 points into Sab. If you have that many points into Sab, you cannot use the trick you mentioned. At least not effectively.
    Yeah, cause you can't have a 44 / 34 build :P

From my experience leveling as a sab, the NB abilities to boost CP damage and finisher damage are definitely nice at lower levels. They only boost the damage from the skill level (the +X damage) but that's where a lot of Sabo damage comes from anyway.

Hell, I play a 26/22/18 Sabo/RS/BD build from time to time. It's quite enjoyable seeing things blown to pieces as I warp around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxagallanxchi View Post
    Yeah, cause you can't have a 44 / 34 build :P

From my experience leveling as a sab, the NB abilities to boost CP damage and finisher damage are definitely nice at lower levels. They only boost the damage from the skill level (the +X damage) but that's where a lot of Sabo damage comes from anyway.

Hell, I play a 26/22/18 Sabo/RS/BD build from time to time. It's quite enjoyable seeing things blown to pieces as I warp around.
    You need 34 for the single target mez? That's higher than I remember. If it's 34 for the AE mez then it's still pointless because that has like a 1 min cd, vs none on the single target mez.

Default Question about Sab and CC

About saboteur CC like adhesive bomb, land mine knock backs, and the silence poison, I read that all or some of these are not affected by DR. Is that true? Which ones?

Also, I'm not sure I understand blast charges. They count as a finisher and a combo builder? Or just detonate counts as the finisher?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DTM300 View Post
    You need 34 for the single target mez? That's higher than I remember. If it's 34 for the AE mez then it's still pointless because that has like a 1 min cd, vs none on the single target mez.
    34 point root for the single target mez. 25 point branch for the AoE mez.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreys View Post
    About saboteur CC like adhesive bomb, land mine knock backs, and the silence poison, I read that all or some of these are not affected by DR. Is that true? Which ones?

Also, I'm not sure I understand blast charges. They count as a finisher and a combo builder? Or just detonate counts as the finisher?

Thanks
    All are affected by DR as far as I know. In fact, I do believe that the bombs are self defeating. By that I mean that they CC the enemy, and then because of it being an area of effect on the ground, they trigger CC immunity.
    Blast charges are combo point builders. Detonate is the finisher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumelar View Post
    With autoattacks maybe. Try visiting the trainer and upgrading your skills. Or maybe, you know, using any skill at all.
    you are not smart.

+ Reply to Thread