+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Riftstalker: Is it still vital for solo builds? Will 1.7 change that?

General of Telara

Default Riftstalker: Is it still vital for solo builds? Will 1.7 change that?

To start with my standard AoE/grind solo builds amount to RS/BD and either Assassin or Marksman depending on what I'm doing and my mood. Lately, however, I've been rethinking that. After fussing around on Ember Isle for a bit and noticing that Leeching Poison was doing a pretty darn good job of keeping my HP up I started to wonder if Riftstalker was even necessary. What's more as I understand it the healing component of it is getting a buff in 1.7 regarding AP scaling which will make it even more useful for builds that use it.

After noticing this I kept thinking about how gosh darned useful it was. It meant I no longer had to worry about burning down mobs before they could kill me so I could start getting Rift Scavenger procs going. Unfortunately something had to go from the builds. If I used Assassin I either couldn't get Marksman for Fan Out as a ranged AoE puller and the AP/armor ignore buffs or I couldn't get Bladedancer and all the melee AoE and survivability buffs in that soul.

At that point I asked myself, "If Rift Scavenger is rarely needed now why bother with Riftstalker at all?" To that effect I put together http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MicT.VhkR.Vcz and started playing around with it a bit.

I put points into Vivacity for the extra melee damage and the increased burst capacity rather than Poison Mastery and Enduring Brew, but it could go either way. In fact if I'm not careful I find myself over-pulling and wishing I had gone that route.

Now I'm wondering if anyone else has been or is rethinking the need for Riftstalker in solo builds, especially in light of the self-healing via Leeching Poison boost coming in 1.7 and what builds those people have been using or considering.

I like RS due to the mobility.
    Gnarlwood - Belladonna - P50 Rogue
    Seastone - Puandro - P24 Mage
    Im here for the PvE, not the unbalanced subpar PvP.
    Just Waiting...

Rift Chaser

Scavenger is still useful but the biggest boon is the shields and rift barrier so the best solo girding spec does not change 24sin 20db 21rs (and 1 point to play with)
    Last edited by hejtmane; 01-24-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Champion

Your link has 22 spent points.

Going 20 into Riftstalker gets you Stalker Phase and enough teleports to maintain the 15% increased damage, so not only are you getting that heal but you're getting mobility and damage on top of it.
    Greybriar Guardian Bard

i look for excuses to put RS into my builds. The teleports rock and the survivability is always nice. I don't picture RS leaving my soloing build ever. It's too good.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

"Solo" or "farm" builds in all classes rely in survival through mitigation and/or heals. RS provides both so I don't see it changing in a while.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    Your link has 22 spent points.
    Thanks for pointing that out. That was something I'd intended for another topic. Zam seems to be getting kind of hinky with links at the moment, that or IE is or both.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0VMcxcbm.V0x0V

That should be much better, at least in terms of communicating what build I've started playing around with.

Quote Originally Posted by hejtmane View Post
    Scavenger is still useful but the biggest boon is the shields and rift barrier so the best solo girding spec does not change 24sin 20db 21rs (and 1 point to play with)
    I'd contest that and say it isn't, but then people would want me to share specs and it'll turn into a thread of unsubstantiated claims going back and forth.

I'll stick to my 3pa/hr grinding spec and route. You can keep your 'best' solo grinding spec.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    I'd contest that and say it isn't, but then people would want me to share specs and it'll turn into a thread of unsubstantiated claims going back and forth.

I'll stick to my 3pa/hr grinding spec and route. You can keep your 'best' solo grinding spec.
    So just like this post of yours?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Marikhen View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. That was something I'd intended for another topic. Zam seems to be getting kind of hinky with links at the moment, that or IE is or both.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0VMcxcbm.V0x0V

That should be much better, at least in terms of communicating what build I've started playing around with.
    0/3 in Deadly Dance? Which finisher are you using?
    Greybriar Guardian Bard

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post

I tried plenty specs besides this one and in the end it just tops out the better overall build to bad the bard solo heal is crap leeching poison beets it hands down a better power than the solo motif heal

Also with at least 20 in RS and wearing PvP gear, I at least stand a chance if someone tries to gank me in open world.

Maybe would with Marks too, but that's too slow for grinding.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by hejtmane View Post
    The "problem" with that build is that it has no significant, or significantly useful, ranged pull. Mages, warriors, and clerics all get one with attacks like Necrosis/Searing Vitality/Dark Touch, Necrotic Wounds, and Vex respectively.

It works great for 1v1 type scenarios and well for when you can guarantee a few easy-to-gather melee mobs, but for gathering up 10-20 mobs and mowing them all down in short order it's somewhat lacking. That's why I like going 15 into Marksman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gynxz View Post
    "Solo" or "farm" builds in all classes rely in survival through mitigation and/or heals. RS provides both so I don't see it changing in a while.
    Many, yes, but I'm looking at it from the angle of survival through DPS/healing now. Mitigation/healing I can do just fine, I'm looking for something new/interesting and not necessarily "best" or "optimal."

So far from what I've seen Leeching Poison, and Enduring Brew if you get it, can ensure enough healing that you survive fairly large pulls (outside of Ember Isle), and by the time the mob groups get too small to provide any significant healing they're often almost dead. Likewise any remaining damage that can't be fixed by Enduring Brew can be somewhat rectified by Fan Out spam and, RNG willing, Leeching Poison on the next group of "volunteers."

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    0/3 in Deadly Dance? Which finisher are you using?
    Depending on the situation False Blade or Dauntless Strike depending on my mood followed by Compound Attack while there's sufficient mobs to warrant it, presuming my target doesn't die under the hail of attacks first. If there's a single mob left alive with sufficient HP it usually dies by the time, and often before, I get FB/DS refreshed and pop the other.

Frankly though I'm generally not used to using Deadly Dance in a build. I ignored it in some of my other builds for Ambidextrous due to the Dexterity->Deflect/Dodge conversion, but without Riftstalker the Deflect portion is a null concern.

Thank you for reminding me of its existance. It won't likely yield more LP-derived healing than Compound Attack as a rule of thumb, but killing stuff faster would in turn mean less healing required.

Perhaps: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...McxcbV0z.V0x0c

This sort of thing, frankly, is why I stopped playing World of Warcraft on retail servers. There weren't really any agonizing choices. There's no longer any equivalent to trying to decide between the fifth point in Poison Mastery and Enduring Brew, Vivacity, or the last two points in Penetrating Shots.

Sitting back and thinking about it Penetrating Shots will only be super useful if I gather up a lot of warrior-type mobs and high-armor mobs, but the more rogue/mage types I get in any given pull the less useful it will be. Likewise 10% more BD ability damage, which comprises the bulk of my damage, will likely equate to a bigger damage boost against armored targets than the 15%-25% increase in armor reduction. And of course Electrified Munitions is more or less useles.

Rift Chaser

Yes I know about the lack of ranged I tried NB version and I done versions with healing brew and in the end turn the tide plus leeching poison even missing a ranged pull beats all those specs and I can do more with it than a lot of the other specs I have tried. I ended up with the above spec time and time again trying to break away from it.

I even tried a spec with only 6 bard but the single person heal is pointless. Motif of renewal is pretty much worthless at this time. I know what it is suppose to do but 14 in sin for leeching poison is superior in every way; heals you better than a freakin ability that is suppose to be healing and only healing. Typical trion on that part a power that does not cost you a gcd and does damage heals you better than a healing motif.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gyle View Post
    i look for excuses to put RS into my builds. The teleports rock and the survivability is always nice. I don't picture RS leaving my soloing build ever. It's too good.
    Time for the Nerf Riftstalker Thread! Get on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyle View Post
    A rogue can top the parse on every boss in HK if they use the right spec, and it's been that way for months.

+ Reply to Thread