+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 questions about point allocation and survivability from a new player

Soulwalker

Default 2 questions about point allocation and survivability from a new player

Hi everyone. I am new to Rift. My trial has just expired and I have subbed to the game. I have some questions that I hope people will answer. I played the trial without checking the forums or any guides because I wanted to experience the game for myself first. After trying all the callings, I like rogues and mages best. I like playing characters that can survive by being sneaky - like a ninja - and resourceful. I tried various different builds and found that the blade dancer and assassin suit my style of play. After checking the forums, I see that most people add riftstalker to that to improve survivability. I tried that in a separate character and it was ok but I never made it past level 10 in the trial with any character because I wanted to try so many different ones. Is there any other soul I can add that would improve survivability? I had a BD/Sin/Sab and it was fun but I noticed that I had to use either bombs or melee attacks. I guess the synergy is poor?
    The second question is about point allocation. After checking the forums for ideas, I see that no one really mentions souls with 51 points in the them except the marksman. These are not viable? A lot of the skills awarded late in the roots look pretty good. Will I be shunned and scorned from groups if I run my blade dancer with 51 points..?
    I am not a hard core raider because of time and family limitations but I do like to try them whenever I have the chance. Do I have to run cookie-cutter builds to get in? Or are people more forgiving here? So far I have had limited interaction in the community. The public group quests are great, though. I am coming here from LotRO, which had a pretty good community, so I am hoping for something similar.
    Thank you for any help.

Default Ranged rogue

Hi there and welcome to Rift
    I would suggest to go with ranged build as rogue for the first lvls, since melee builds are bit meh till you get Combat Culmination from BD and/or Rift Scavenger from RS.
    I personally went with RNG/MM/Bard
    RNG gives nice piggy to take dmg for you, MM is great for passives and Bard only to get Invigorated Soul (Makes Cadence heal 5 people 100% of the dmg done). Great for multiple mob pulling since at lower lvls you might get killed easily by doing that.

I switched to melee levelling later when i had enough points for those 2 talents mentioned before, using melee build for soloing even now.

Have a good day!

Fro
    Shadowlander

Riftstalker is our "Tank" soul, so it will directly improve your survivability. Specifically, Rift Guard + Phantom Blow add tons of mitigation to an otherwise fragile melee class. Rift Scavenger helps your sustain- it's one of the few rogue abilities that offers healing.

--

From my experience, specs outside the norm generally perform 25% worse or greater than the cookie-cutter specs in a raiding scenario.
    That doesn't mean that all 51pt builds are worthless or unplayable, just that you won't be topping DPS meters on every pull.

Alternate specs can also do things that a straight up DPS spec can't, and there are many different builds you can run that will succeed in different scenarios.

Once you get higher leveled, you have quite a bit more flexibility & options than you do at low lvls, and it can be really fun to experiment since respecs are so cheap.

--

As you level, you'll be able to purchase all 9 souls for your calling for a small fee, as well as unlocking the ability to change between different Roles at any time.

Welcome to RIFT. My suggestions is try out different combinations to find one you enjoy. You can purchase resets from your class trainer as well as the souls to try every different Rogue build. I would also suggest you stick with the suggested pairing while leveling and just experiment and have fun. Enjoy.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the replies. I will just experiment until I find the balance between survivability and resourcefulness. That is part of the fun after all.

+ Reply to Thread