+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why are spells not dodgeable?

Telaran

Default Why are spells not dodgeable?

Hello all!

I recently found out that spells are not dodgeable at all and was wondering why not? So, that means
    no matter how high my dodge is, I can never dodge a spell then what other ways can I reduce spell damage without changing out my pvp gear? I play a blade dancer atm, and I have allot of fun but notice I never dodge spells, so any ideas?
    The truth is something people say they want to hear, but truly do not want to hear it.

Spells can be Resisted, so if you don't like to get hit by spells stack resists.
    AFK.

Koe

You'd have to stack resistances, use resistance runes, and resistance buffs.

IE

It's only good versus one element.
    Free music! It's legal!
    DISCLAIMER: Some songs may have been taken down.

I think you dodge fireballs can't you? Maybe not, i have never looked, but for most spells... if have the power to summon lightning out of nothingness through sheer will, lets assume you can hit what you are aiming at.
    Last edited by Gyle; 01-04-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Ascendant

yeah its quite irritating you have block, dodge and parry all only working against physical and not magical damage. Difference AFAIK is, dodge and block work against all physical damage, parry only agains melee physical dmg.

In all "normal" mmos dodge ist for ranged attacks and parry and block for melee attacks. Trion devs took a very unusal aproach to mitigation here. And that generates quite some problems ... No clue who decided
    to make it this complicated.
    Last edited by Antigonos; 01-04-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Telaran

lol that is pretty funny. I just do not see why I could not have a chance to dodge this ball of fire or lightning that i see coming my way kinda thing. So is it even worth stacking resists? I fight generally pretty good against other melee but when it comes to blue bars I sometimes have problems.
    A dominator the other day owned me so well I didnt have time to do anything. I was squireled, then silenced and then dead. I couldnt use any of my stuff. I do not mind it, because it was so much fun trying to kill him, and I could tell he had allot of skill, cause I think he is the first one I ever faced that did that.. Most do not even bother to silence so I had a ton of fun trying to kill his friend in world pvp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyle View Post
    I think you dodge fireballs can't you? Maybe not, i have never looked, but for most spells... if have the power to summon lightning out of nothingness through sheer will, lets assume you can hit what you are aiming at.
    The truth is something people say they want to hear, but truly do not want to hear it.

Banned

WHat's even worse is that for PVP a tiny bit of focus will overcome a huge amount of resist. So stacking resists is useless.

Trion <3 casters. It's the only answer.

As much as I hate parries/dodges you would have to be stubborn to want them to move into the direction of more resists. It's overall an annoying mechanic and I have a rogue as my primary main. It's true spell casters don't suffer the dodge/parry mechanic and such. Physical/magical have their pros/cons generally.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Traciatim View Post
    WHat's even worse is that for PVP a tiny bit of focus will overcome a huge amount of resist. So stacking resists is useless.

Trion <3 casters. It's the only answer.
    I don't know, I think they dig rogues pretty well and are enraged at warriors.

Besides yo have cleanse soul. You are now immune to all magical abilities for 4 seconds.
    **** face.

Champion

I wanna resist a serpent strike and parry a cinderburst in the same movement. I'm pretty sure a black guy would then show up and tell me I'm the one.

You shouldn't be able to dodge lightning, but fireballs should be ok.

Ascendant

tipp for being stuned etc. use your pvp soul (no point in it) you get a break with it. And use the shadowstalk of riftstalker 14 points. Breaks all cc too. After that you imune most of the time

Prophet of Telara

In DAoC (and possibly WAR?) Bolt type spells were subject to block/parry/dodge.

It actually would be reasonable I think for any spell/magical attacks that had a travel time animation to have a chance to be avoided. But generally the design tradeoff in that case was that bolt spells had a fair bit higher damage component to them compared to their non-bolt counterparts (and I'm not sure if that exactly holds true here).
    Ceribaen, formerly of Nyx (D).
    Now residing on Seastone.

Why I cant block or deflect any physical damage abilitys? and why i have so less hp? why my armor is so low?

Or why i dont ressist anything?

Oh I'm a mage

It's hard to ressist something if you wanna use the valor lessers.
    and the dmg reduction from Valor is to low.

We should nerf rouges they can go invisible OMg thats so OP holysheet.
    We should nerf mages they can do highcrits OmG thats so OP holyseeht.
    We should nerf clerics they can heal (THEY HEAL) thats not fair why they can heal! oMG thats so OP holigoor
    We should nerf Warriors they can kill me in 5 seconds omg they aren't suposed to kill my grammar! so OP pisssheet.

Go Go nerf all classes more they are way to good!

General of Telara

OTOH resists give damage reduction, no matter how high your opponent's focus is. Unlike dodge/parry that can be negated with enough hit (could apply to block in theory, but no one is going to get their hit that high just to shoot warrior tanks)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast