+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Night Blade

Default Night Blade

So I have finally decided on a soul that I like. The nightblade sort of combines a mage, warrior and stealth of a rogue. So it does all the things I want to do other than heal which I could switch up to bard spec for support healing when needed.

I do however have some questions about stats.

I was thinking of pairing the nightblade with Blade dancer for the dodging, or assassin for the poison weapons and crit increase.

I was thinking my third soul will be bard but not used all that much. Actually no points, but optional support builds should it need to be added.

Now, because I have spell like abilities, and although I have been searching for answers, does int, or spell focus enhance my elemental damage provided by my ranged attacks or elemental finishers.

Should I be aiming for gear that improves dex and spell focus, or int?

Thats the part Im sort of confused on. The rest sounds as though the build I had on mind might have either high crit or some successful dodging.
    Last edited by Rhiss; 01-04-2012 at 05:20 AM.

Everything, every soul, every part of a rogue scales off of physical stats.

Attack power, physical crit and weapon dps rating.

Caster stats do nothing.

Rift Disciple

Do you want to do pve or pvp ?

If you do pve , nightblade/sin is a nice option.
    For pvp , there is some nightblade/rs spec who performs well.

Otherwise you can check the Zyzyx's Rogue Bible. There is a lot of information inside.

And for the stat , it's pretty simple , damage depends of AP , Crit , weapon dps , dext , and str.
    Tanking is all about dext , armor , HP, deflect , dodge and parry.

Intel and spell power does 0 effect on our class.

Thanks. That helps a ton.

I was thinking of something that would be good for both PVP and PVE. PVE being my main point until later on, or in a pinch.

I thought the dodge and parry bonuses offered in Blade Dancer would make sense to mitigate some damage...however I did try the pairing of Rift stalker, and well...I could not find a darn thing I liked about it. I still dont. the bonuses are nice though.

The assassin was from Xyzzy or a bunch of letters...and a semi creepy photo. but it was a good guide none the less. I read it and although I thought the Assassin would overlap the nightblade I see the Crit burst potential.

So it's either Blade Dancer, or Sin for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiss View Post
    I was thinking of something that would be good for both PVP and PVE. PVE being my main point until later on, or in a pinch.

I thought the dodge and parry bonuses offered in Blade Dancer would make sense to mitigate some damage...however I did try the pairing of Rift stalker, and well...I could not find a darn thing I liked about it. I still dont. the bonuses are nice though.

The assassin was from Xyzzy or a bunch of letters...and a semi creepy photo. but it was a good guide none the less. I read it and although I thought the Assassin would overlap the nightblade I see the Crit burst potential.

So it's either Blade Dancer, or Sin for now.

40 sin 26 bd is a good, clean, simple starter spec.
    0 inf, as you get comfortable with rotations you can vary points and venture off. It will get you fairly familiar with both souls though.
    Last edited by Am0n; 01-04-2012 at 07:03 AM.
    "You lost me at Balance"

sin/nb is good for pve and nb/rf for pvp , of course gear/rank depend allot in pvp

jca
    Rift Chaser

Look at Riftstalker again. For pvp, RS provides by far the best synergy with a deep nightblade build.

NB isn't a bursty class. Or rather, it can do good burst but that requires setup. You're not going to get that burst setup if you're in the graveyard. RS gives you the mitigation to survive long enough to get your burst going.
    Last edited by jca; 01-04-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Ah ok. I see now. I was just not a fan of the skills the RS was offering. I find the teleport power a touch unwieldy, and the rest of the attacks seem ok, but I rarely used them.

Maybe Ill take a closer look into things a little more and see what I can do with it.

It's wierd because it was the main soul I was looking to avoid in the overall but it definately does offer a more tanky feel.

So it seems as though BD, although sounding all badass is not as viable as I thought. It appears to gain much of the mitigation I was looking for only really happens if using the BD's attacks, or the passives, which might not actually work for a deep NB build.

Thanks though guys. I find all of this very helpfull. the NB is definately something I know I want. I just like the style, mobility and utility of having a stealth.

Rhiss,

If you find teleporting unwieldy, I am willing to bet you are not using macros. If you are not using macros, you need to start. If you are using them, I apologize for my assumption.

~Mellik

Quote Originally Posted by Mellik View Post
    Rhiss,

If you find teleporting unwieldy, I am willing to bet you are not using macros. If you are not using macros, you need to start. If you are using them, I apologize for my assumption.

~Mellik
    Nope...Im not as of yet. I am rather new. So it has not happened as of yet. I think the main issue with finding the teleport unwieldy is moreso that Im not sure it's advantage or "why" I would use it. I assume to close the gap between me and the opponent...but I thought that was what the stealth was for.

Im sure Ill figure it out.

Again, fogive my Newbness.

jca
    Rift Chaser

The thing about NB and stealth is that NB isn't really built around stealth like assassin is. Stealth is just another tool in a NB's bag and not the most important by a long shot. The biggest reason to use stealth with NB is to get up the AP buff or an initial silence.

Stealth as a gap closer really isn't all that hot without Slip Away b/c you only get it once per combat and it's unlikely you'll be dropping people with NB's initial burst. That's where the teleports come in. They let you stick like glue on people and also, let you kite those you don't want to toe-to-toe with. That's besides the mitigation from the shield and the increased crit after porting if you take that talent (which you should).

Shadow Step is also a cc breaker in addition to the port, which makes it huge as the cd isn't very long.
    Last edited by jca; 01-04-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiss View Post
    Nope...Im not as of yet. I am rather new. So it has not happened as of yet. I think the main issue with finding the teleport unwieldy is moreso that Im not sure it's advantage or "why" I would use it. I assume to close the gap between me and the opponent...but I thought that was what the stealth was for.

Im sure Ill figure it out.

Again, fogive my Newbness.
    You don't need to apologize for being new. We all were once.

Macros are useful for tying together a string of abilities, especially ones with cool downs, to reduce the number of key binds and speed up decision making. You will find it infinitely useful in PvP and PvE.

Porting can offer the following benefits:
    • Damage Reduction from Shields
    • Gap Closer
    • Escape Move/Kiting
    • +Crit Modifier
    • +Damage Modifier
    • Positioning of Attack
    • CC Break

Not to mention, I find it cool as hell.

Good luck and happy hunting! And keep asking questions...someone here will help you.

~Mellik
    Last edited by Mellik; 01-04-2012 at 09:47 AM.

+ Reply to Thread