+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help understanding 51MM/14RNG/ spec

Soulwalker

Default Help understanding 51MM/14RNG/ spec

Hello everybody.

New to rift, long time WOW player, not going back to WOW ...

I have a level 50 Rogue that is specced for range, gearing it up atm.

I see that the 51MM/14RNG is considered one of the top dps raid specs. I am trying to understand this....
    51 points in MM means you will take ALL talents in that tree and frankly I see some talents that do not contribute in any way to increasing dps. Example: repelling shot (?), On the Double. Keen Eye, etc.

14RNG means you will get Eagle Eye, Killing Focus, Imp Quick SHot and Bestial Fury and maybe Opportunity.

I find Doubleshot a good dps increase, and Trick shot (+ Imp Trick Shot) a good aoe, even Rain of Arrows looks good. But maybe I am missing something.

I understand this s a spec that does not use a pet.

So please help me understand this. Currently I have a 33MM/28RNG/5RIFT spec that pulls about 1k dps in 5mans and the few raids i pugged. The problem is my pet (wolf) bugs out, dies very fast or simply would not attack. So I am looking for something else.

I am considering a 33MM/33RNG spec, where I could get the blood raptor, which i understand is more dps than the wolf. I am not attached to using a pet, but logically a pet would add more dps right ?

Appreciate the help.

Qan

There are many wasted points in 51MM but it's all for Silver-Tipped Munitions.
    14/15 Ranger does not reach high enough for Opportunity.
    Pets scale horribly right now, things might change once the 1.7 changes go live.
    Last edited by Qan; 01-03-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    Rogue DPS BiS | Critical Hit | Soft Cap: 1187 | Hard Cap: 3163
    Retired | ANet: Qan.4672 | Steam: qankriegor

Plane Walker
    Good,Bad? I'm the one with the Gun.
    This is my BOOMSTICK
    Rank 40 Defiant Rogue 11/11HK
    Gaming Rig

you can use the pet to divert rage for aggro management ,but be careful as the puny lvl 20 pet will agro the boss unless you park him a ways back

edit: see sig for guide
    Last edited by Zyzyx; 01-03-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    you can use the pet to divert rage for aggro management ,but be careful as the puny lvl 20 pet will agro the boss unless you park him a ways back

edit: see sig for guide
    I don't think that's necessary anymore after 1.6, but sure you could do that. Back in the good ol' days my wolf would sit at the front of HK all raid

Soulwalker

Ok to get to Silver-Tipped munitions, I understand now.

Does that scale better then Rending munitions ?

Yes I did read Zyzyx;s Bible ...

Thanks

General of Telara

Silver Tipped + Electrified

Fro
    Shadowlander

Thanks for the aggro tip. I can use my pet on boss pulls to be entirely safe with aggro! At worst, the pet gets targetted, the aggro sink drops, and by then the tank should have more than enough aggro for the rest of the fight! Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Thanks for the aggro tip. I can use my pet on boss pulls to be entirely safe with aggro! At worst, the pet gets targetted, the aggro sink drops, and by then the tank should have more than enough aggro for the rest of the fight! Awesome!
    You shouldn't be pulling aggro off a good tank at the start of a fight once you learn to DPS correctly.

If you are pulling aggro off a tank he/she is doing something wrong. I would occasionally run random dungeons just to try and get achievements and T1 5 man geared tanks could hold aggro unless I actively tried to pull off of them. I Wasn't uber geared but I was 6/11 in HK.

Silver-tip Munitins basically gives rogues such a long ramp-up time that there's no way in hell you're going to pull aggro at the start of the pull, unless your tank literally just sits there auto-attacking. You have some burst, but even so you shouldn't ever be able to do any damage spikes that have any chance of pulling aggro - it's not like when Mages used to do back-to-back 9k crits and instantly pull aggro and die. MM DPS is generally fairly steady with a bit of a ramp-up time before you start doing full DPS, which is just what tanks like.

+ Reply to Thread