+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need some pvp marksman help....

Telaran

Default Need some pvp marksman help....

Battle Bard => check. Assassin => check. Blinkblade => check. Marksman => che.. err no!!

What am I doing wrong? I feel like I just get destroyed with marksman. I am rank 6 atm, I tinker with specs all the time, but I typically bard heal or some version of assassin. I want to enjoy a ranged spec, but atm its not going very well.

Maybe its just marksman isn't good in the library which is where I'm trying to use him. I've tried 44mm/22sin and 51mm/12inf/3rs. My latest effort is 32mm/13nb/21rs which I tried for more survivability in one warfront before I had to call it a day.

Kiting and surviving is just kicking my butt. Maybe I just need more practice since I'm used to melee. I've played ranged classes before, but I'm not very good with this one. Any suggestions??

Malar
    Shortround the Vanquisher: member of Havoc on Keenblade
    Malar the Retired!!

you cant kite in library which makes it one of the more difficult places to play mm. use the sides of the room and all the amazing los opportunities.

id recommend 44mm 22rs
    or my personal fav, 44mm 12 inf 10 rs
    some people like 51mm 15inf, see what u like best.

imo a good mm doesnt need stealth.

never go less than 44 mm unless it is a sub soul.
    (_(_)_) -Gambiit- (_(_)_)
    always watching

You just need to find the proper positioning in library to truly be effective as a MM. I tend to stay on the outside of the circle while battle is taking place in the middle. If there is a battle in the basement below, I like to stay up high on the edge of the middle circle, and if there are battles on the outer rim, I once again stay on the edge of the middle circle.

It's the hardest WF for a MM to kite, but it can be done, you just need to have good positioning before any of the battles start.

As for my spec, I used to run the 44MM/22RS spec, but now I run 44MM/20RS/2ranger with 2 piece HK crystal for instant cast Splinter Shot.
    <Retired>

Telaran

Honestly I haven't tried any of those builds yet, (well 51/12/3 is prob the same as 51/15) I'll give them a shot. I think I like the 44/12/10 for the extra ap/health in rs. Thanks for the tip on positioning as well. I know my positioning always seems to get me killed.

Malar
    Last edited by Malar; 12-24-2011 at 06:37 PM.
    Malar the Retired!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malar View Post
    Honestly I haven't tried any of those builds yet, (well 51/12/3 is prob the same as 51/15) I'll give them a shot. I think I like the 44/12/10 for the extra ap/health in rs. Thanks for the tip on positioning as well. I know my positioning always seems to get me killed.

Malar
    Having RS in your spec helps tremendously when you are first figuring out positioning in each WF. The blinks have saved me so many times. I usually save Quick Reload to reuse On The Double and Retreat as well. I know many people only use them for offense, but I think they are better utilized defensively if you know you're awareness needs work.

I'd like to consider myself pretty darn good with positioning, and I still rely on RS and MM movement abilities to get myself out of trouble.
    <Retired>

Quote Originally Posted by Tigruz View Post
    Having RS in your spec helps tremendously when you are first figuring out positioning in each WF. The blinks have saved me so many times. I usually save Quick Reload to reuse On The Double and Retreat as well. I know many people only use them for offense, but I think they are better utilized defensively if you know you're awareness needs work.

I'd like to consider myself pretty darn good with positioning, and I still rely on RS and MM movement abilities to get myself out of trouble.
    This for sure, cant tell you how many tough people ive kited across a whole map with the use of on the double, retreat, shadow shift, reset the cds, and on the double/retreat agian. If you have unlimited room like in a lot of wfs and the person wants to chase u the whole time, no reason for you to lose.

Library is really the only one you cant utilize that to its fullest. Tip: when sniping from the out ring and a rogue or other melee pops on you, jump and retreat to the center ring (if your team controls it) they likely cant charge/port to you, you can still reach them, and if they chase your whole team is on them.
    (_(_)_) -Gambiit- (_(_)_)
    always watching

I'd recommend running /6 ranger with MM to ease yourself into kiting. It helped loads for me, and at a certain point you can swap ranger out for a better subsoul once you're confident in your abilities. There's a lot to playing MM, believe it or not.
    ~Quiescent

As mentioned, Lib is prob the worst WF for MM to run. While our superior range lets us snipe from outer to inner or vice versa, it is extremely easy for enemies to LOS you, sneak up on you, etc. Retreat is also usually quite difficult to employ well due to the map geometry.

That said I've gone 30-2 and so forth before. It requires smart usage of barbed shot, knowing when to swap targets, how to kite, as well as how to utilize the enemy's planned LOS path (e.g. if he's trying to run around the pillars in mid, go counter to his movement, etc)

If you want to ease into MM, better maps like Dex, Scion or our ultimate playground Whitefall are better for learning the class.

I think RS would be a better subsoul for Lib farming, with its planar shifts etc, but since I don't know when I will play dex etc and like using stealth to waylay single high value targets (Who needs 51sin? lolol) I tend to stick to 22sin
    60Rog/PR64 - Cleared - FT | EE
    1-button TOTALLY AFK Rogue and Cheerleader for Blitz!

I have been running 51MM/15Infil/0BD since the major MM change took place and it works very well for me. Side Steps from BladeDancer is a life saver when fighting a melee class or another MM. The main thing when playing MM is you must have good battlefield awareness and learn class/role/buff. I find myself running into MM's that just suck when playing NB or Sin and they end up just standing there. I have been playing MM since beta and just started to mix up my roles a bit, but MM is my favoirt and the most fun to play.

GL learning to play MM as one of the other posters said. MM does take skill to play, just work on it and you should be racking up kills out in owpvp just as in WFs..

im runnin the raid spec, seems to be pretty good damage, but very hard in the library due to close quarters. im thinking about a 22 rs build too... not much synergizes with mm though. its just ports, self buff/keepalive. annhilate could be awesome for dps but no point to usin it if you are trying to keep out of range as a squishy low lvl mm. get a range interrupt at least though.

Telaran

Thanks for all the replies. I did run a few codex with much more success then the library, but I am hoping to have more success there.

As for the 44mm/10rs/12nb spec, would it be better to go 44/9/13 or 44/13/9 as a variant? Trying to weigh more damage vs endurance or rift scavenger vs damage for healing on kills. Also, on a more squishy note, I was looking at 44mm/22rg/0xx as a possible heavy aoe spec. Not sure if anyone has tried that yet.

Malar
    Malar the Retired!!

Telaran

I settled with 44mm/13nb/9rs. Thanks for the pointers everyone, I think the positioning helped a lot, as well as the added health and I still get the 44 point mm skill. I just did a few hour run in there, went much better today!!!

Thanks all,
    Malar
    Malar the Retired!!

I've been using 44MM/22Sin/0BD in Library a lot. It works pretty well for me. But then I'm one of those crazy MMs that starts the fight in melee range.

I start from melee range in Lib too at the start (I go left lolz)

I've seen ranger/mm builds, and they tend to be the suck. You're not using the ranger crystal, so some of your best skills like splinter(? or was it piercing?) and shadowfire are cast skills. You don't want to be spending time standing still casting as MM except as stutter step casting. And even then that's pretty rare.

The thing about rift scavenger is that it requires combo points to heal, and you don't always get that. Sure you do *sometimes* but not always.
    60Rog/PR64 - Cleared - FT | EE
    1-button TOTALLY AFK Rogue and Cheerleader for Blitz!

Plane Touched

Marksmen need some love. Easiest target to kill by far on my nb/rs or warrior I feel sorry for them. At rank 8 they have some of the lowest hps of all specs. Pitiful that swift/piercing shot does less damage than water jet/flamebolt. Why in the world does fan out do more damage to 1 target than swift/piercing?
    Last edited by Nsayn1; 12-26-2011 at 09:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast