+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there a viable ranger HK raid spec ?

Plane Touched

Default Is there a viable ranger HK raid spec ?

Hey,

I've been testing a few specs for improving my gameplay in HK with a 4 set HK gear on me and a greenscale relic bow (damn gun won't drop in HK !). Sofar I tried a these few on a 3 min dummy fight :

- 51mm 14rng 1riftstalker with HK ranger crystal : 1700 dps own buffs
    - 51mm 14rng 1riftstalker with HK marksman crystal : 1750 dps own buffs
    - 25ass 41rng with HK ranger crystal : 1400 dps own buffs raptor pet

take note all damage is metered by simple meter, and I've been told it doesn't take all damage in account , so no idea how accurate this actually is.

As you can see there is a 350 dps gap between marksman and ranger ... is there any way to push ranger higher or is this just the best there is atm ?
    Last edited by Sunsp0t; 12-23-2011 at 04:18 AM.

Ranger is never competitive single target, however it can be made the 'best' aoe spec, but even then our aoe is far short of all 3 other callings. Theres is no reason to be deep ranger.

38mm28rng or rng/sin are the best us rogues can do as far as aoe goes, but there are no bosses where you aoe the whole time, so it would basically be a trash spec.

Places it might preform decent: Matron, Zilas?, Inquisitor, Akylios... even then I dont see it doing amazingly.
    (_(_)_) -Gambiit- (_(_)_)
    always watching

I don't think you should be going 25 points deep into assasin. Typically you stop at 17 if you are using it for sysnergy. Try putting some points into marksman or asking Mayi what his 41 ranger builds is.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

No, the ranger spec he posted is it. 41rng-25sin.

It's not that great, after trying and tweaking rng-assn builds... it ended up being as good as it gets and still sucking. I'd only use ranger if you have no lethal poison where you really need it and want to spread it in aoe. This week I was with the melee stack (short warriors) on lashers and could have used 41rng-25sin and given some better feedback, but I'd already dropped the build.

I haven't played 28rng-38mm in a while, but after trying rng-assn on Akylios I wouldn't bother. Pet will sometimes die to breaths with high ranger, you really need to micromanage it with breaths. Lower ranger pet I can see dying all the time because it has less survivability.

Now that 51mm-15rng can (with the ranger crystal) provide piercing shot at range... there's really 0 reason to use a high ranger build outside of lethal so other raiders parse higher. 51mm-15rng with the ranger crystal is also better aoe.

With 25sin lethal and leeching poisons combined do almost as much damage as electrified munitions. It's actually not bad for dps, the problem is ranger itself. Dipping partway into MM is also a dps loss (even picking up rapid fire shot) because you're missing passives in ranger.
    Last edited by Mayi; 12-23-2011 at 07:33 AM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

You finding the 41 ranger build better than http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...f0eoRoVz.x0x0V ? (updated sozu build)

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

RIFT Guide Writer

Problem with high ranger build is that it lacks scaling. None of the attacks get increased benefits from AP and pet doesn't scale either. So the better gear you have the worse high ranger will be compared to alternatives.

I tried a build like this once on a HK raid: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...kzz.g0xoV0AzkR

Idea was to use it mainly with trick shot to pump out finishers quickly. Rain of arrows was just for matron. It was ok but nothing spectacular. Concussive blast + collateral damage is nice though, it actually makes concussive blast your second best finisher after rapid fire shot for single target.

In general high ranger is just plain bad.

the 38MM/28rng spec with ranger syn crystal works better then the 51MM on any fight where there is a LOT of running and gunning. Since less of your DPS is tied into standing still, and you get two cast time spells as instants.

I prefer it on Zilas too. If you have trouble killing mages or have a more mobility based strat I generally parse (based on my playstyle) a couple hundred higher then I do when i'm pure MM w/ MM syn crystal
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorin View Post
    The more people play Rift and subscribe, the more time and money we have to continue to evolve the game....

"Cerium, glowers at you dubiously -- looks like he would wipe the floor with you!"

Plane Touched

Well I just wanted to test the ranger HK crystal with a viable ranger build. But it seems that there aren't really any unless for fullout aoe , which doesn't happen that often anyhow ... except matron and the first phase of akylios prob.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    You finding the 41 ranger build better than http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...f0eoRoVz.x0x0V ? (updated sozu build)
    Yea, updated Sozu build is terrible. The weapon damage bonuses from master archer and shadow fire killed it.

You can pretty much put random points willy nilly into ranger and MM and do more dps, as long as it's only MM and ranger and pick up master archer... told Hoko this but he ignored it. I'm dead serious too.

About ranger being useful on Akylios, it was good in theory but in practice with the pet dying it wasn't good. I've found MM with the ranger crystal is better aoe too then ranger. I parsed higher on Matron with it then any ranger variant.
    Last edited by Mayi; 12-23-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Sorry, I take that back. Ranger is better on Matron, I double checked my numbers and I only parsed 3400 with MM with the ranger crystal this week.

I was comparatively higher in the dps list because our raid's dps was lower without lethal being spread in aoe. Raid dps was 1.5k higher with ranger spreading lethal... but with different personel. I don't know if you can say ranger was making the difference of 1.5k, that might be a bit of a stretch.... but maybe not, when your raid's dps is over 40k 5% more crit should be a 2.5% boost or so.
    Last edited by Mayi; 12-23-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Honestly, leave the AoE'ing to warriors.

There's just no point in trying to compare.

You're better off just trying to deliver as much single target dps as you can as a rogue on matron.

Ranger's unlimited target AoE comes in useful in one fight in HK, and depending on your guild, you may never even need to pop a book to spawn the babies on matron. Or only having her spawn one wave of adds.

Which really does take away from the appeal of using ranger for the AoE option.

And who compares dps on matron anyway >_>

Its better than you might think on matron really, if ur guild isnt terrible the larger adds will always be in the middle and you could just trickshot the whole time, that with the bonus combo points from it would count for a lot of finishers, then rain of arrows when they break a tome. But this really only applies to a guild where they are just reaching or still progressing through matron. And yea who cares about matron deeps but it would help a newer guild.
    (_(_)_) -Gambiit- (_(_)_)
    always watching

I suppose it would be useful if you're actively trying to kill 30 babies within 10 seconds for that achieve.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Knightcrawler View Post
    Its better than you might think on matron really, if ur guild isnt terrible the larger adds will always be in the middle and you could just trickshot the whole time, that with the bonus combo points from it would count for a lot of finishers, then rain of arrows when they break a tome. But this really only applies to a guild where they are just reaching or still progressing through matron. And yea who cares about matron deeps but it would help a newer guild.
    Trick Shot as the main builder, Concussive off cooldown (don't interrupt Matron on accident though) and Rain of Arrows is great on Matron and I use 38/28 on Zilas as well (when I have the build) but I mostly play it since it is fun and a change of pace for farm content.

Still want to convince my guild to leave the baby adds to me alone so I can put up a huge parse, but too warrior heavy and usually have a mage or cleric making me look stupid on AoE.

i tried a spec with the upgraded raptor and 32mm, with a 4 piece crystal. It was alright, still fell short on dps by bout 200. no controlled fire was pretty bad.

+ Reply to Thread