+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rennlc

Thread: New player - Swift leveling as a Bard/Ranger?

Default New player - Swift leveling as a Bard/Ranger?

Hello Rift forums! First time poster and actually first time visitor of the lands of Telara.

I've researched a lot to find out what would work as a decent leveling build and figured that having a few points into bard for the heals (for me and my pet) and then just start boosting ranger for all its might is a solid approach to this. However I AM a bit torn between putting the majory of my points into ranger (to boost my pet and to some extent my own DPS) or to pour them into marksman to get some very nifty and what it seems high damage attacks for myself.

So what should I focus on around level 10, ranger or marksman? Bard looks to be a given for the buffs and heals from the looks of it.

Oh yeah I realize there are plenty of melee souls but I really like the ranged aspect of things.

Have a great day!

Champion

Bards safe but it doesn't help speed up the leveling process. Ranger + anything that adds damage will get you started. Check out a bladedancer/riftstalker build around level 20 or a little past that.

The pet heal from Ranger is more than enough for normal mobs, so unless you're planning on soloing elites and getting through the bonus stages of rifts alone there's no real reason to go bard.

Put your points into Ranger first, and Marksman second.
    I preferred Riftstalker for the 0pointer, purely because of the teleport.

Idk, I prefer the ol' Bladedancer, Riftstalker, Nightblade leveling build.
    Probably in my opinion the best way to go. No downtime what so ever just be sure to look into Planar Refuge. You get healed for certain amounts factored by how many combo points you have left on the target.
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/Daisukexdark12/sig_faylinkz_zps2d339858.png
    Frozen Tempest: 4/4 :: Endless Eclipse 5/5
    North American 1st :: Canadian 1st :: PRE NERF Perfect Crucia & Perfect Regulos
    <How to be on T.O.P.>

Quote Originally Posted by rennlc View Post
    Bards safe but it doesn't help speed up the leveling process. Ranger + anything that adds damage will get you started. Check out a bladedancer/riftstalker build around level 20 or a little past that.
    Aha didn't realize someone already suggested it.
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/Daisukexdark12/sig_faylinkz_zps2d339858.png
    Frozen Tempest: 4/4 :: Endless Eclipse 5/5
    North American 1st :: Canadian 1st :: PRE NERF Perfect Crucia & Perfect Regulos
    <How to be on T.O.P.>

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I actually opted to drop marksman completely in favor of assassin (for the poisons), I still use bard though, which I will look at more closely now after the suggestions but I will now make ranger my main focus since it really shines when you got the mobs bleeding constantly.

Also I really need razorbeast 2.0 since the vanilla ones is starting to become a little too weak.

Rift Chaser

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MMiN.0Vo..V0R
    If you are liking the bleeds this is a wicked combo at level 11. The 0 point nightblade gives you a fire dot that works from 0-20 m so great whether opening from stealth or distance. It stacks 3 times. 8 in ranger gives you divert rage-a lifesaver if you are having trouble getting the pet on an add. Sweet to be able to park the pet at a distance on passive and have a tough mob snared and dotted all the way to it also.

Telaran

I leveled my rogue as Bard/Ranger. It worked really well, rarely died and could handle a lot of mobs at once. The only problem with is it's really slow and will take you longer to do quests and level up.

Right now i think Assassin is the best solo leveling spec, especially after you get Leeching Poison at level 14. Kills quickly and leeching will keep you healed.

There are three general specs for soloing, with varying speeds.

Slowest: Bard/ranger. As mentioned, you won't die, ever. But it's slooowwwwwwww. It can almost solo anything though.

Middle: Sin/RS/NB Utilizes leeching and the heal-on-kill to keep rolling

Fastest: Sin/RS/BD The classic rogue soloing spec. Blinks, sprints, heals, tons of dodge/parry with damage as well. Healing primarily from leeching and heals on kill. If CD's are up, you can even solo the entire pack of Mathosians patrols and keep rollin'.
    60Rog/PR64 - Cleared - FT | EE
    1-button TOTALLY AFK Rogue and Cheerleader for Blitz!

I don't know how much it has changed since 1.1

When I leveled my rogue though I did Sab,bard,rang

Reason was I could solo anything, even up to 10 levels above me because I could chain mes, stack charges, and det.
    Was fun but probably by no means the fastest.

If it is your first toon just enjoy it, probably the best lvls in the game
    "You lost me at Balance"

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sawt View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

I actually opted to drop marksman completely in favor of assassin (for the poisons), I still use bard though, which I will look at more closely now after the suggestions but I will now make ranger my main focus since it really shines when you got the mobs bleeding constantly.

Also I really need razorbeast 2.0 since the vanilla ones is starting to become a little too weak.
    Razorbeast is the same forever. Greater just lets you go above level 30 with it. Ranger is not meant for damage, its meant for control/grinding.

Riftstalker/Bladedancer is going to be light years faster than anything else, though, once you get to 25 or so.

Rift Disciple

Well, everyone here prolly knows more about it than me. But I soloed all the way to 50 with Ranger, RS, assassin. The self-heals were great as others mentioned, and having the pet for a tank was really nice in alot of situations. But having really good stealth was the single most useful ability. I don't know how many quests I did where I only had to fight a couple of mobs after stealthing past most of them. Once you get the faster stealth and then finally perma-stealth, it makes things so much easier than fighting your way through every quest.

Also, if you're doing any foraging or mining (I do both) an awful lot of the wood / plant and ore nodes in the game seem to have a mob standing guard over them. Instead of having to fight them all, I just knock 'em out while in stealth and forage away.

.02 from a very casual player. I wasn't trying to level fast--I like to read the story, wander through the quests, etc. Best of luck.
    Last edited by Darkblooded; 12-25-2011 at 09:13 AM.

+ Reply to Thread