+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Theft of Thought

Default Theft of Thought

Hi internet friends.

I'm once again entertaining that phase of my 'career' in an MMO where I start to try and make decent specs using janky abilities to a) infuriating other players and b) provide myself with endless amounts of amusement.

The target I am currently eyeballing is the best ability rogues have, aka Theft of Thought. I want to find some way to maximize the production of this amazing ability to make nerds rage and smash their keyboards, much as I did with post-nerf VK specs when everyone else had thrown them on the shelf.

I've been plugging away at the char builder and doing some reading on older threads, and I'm really having trouble deciding on what I like most for a build, so I thought what better way to get some universally positive and trolling-free feedback than to use the official class board!

Obviously the build is going to do pretty negligible damage, so the emphasis for any Theft of Thought build would be on survivability and general debuffery, two things I am super familiar with as a result of my tenure as World's Best Bard (tm).

In any event, here are the builds I'm currently looking at:

32 Riftstalker/21 Infiltrator/13 Bard - Has Shadow Assault (25s), Shadow Blitz (25s), and Power Chord (3s) as two point builders, with Planar Switch (10s) available off the GCD. Has most of the solid defensive passives out of Riftstalker, and the end buff + a few motifs out of Bard. Has three CC breaks + Cleanse Soul as 'oh crap' buttons. One interrupt + PTI. Cadence available as a 3pt/2s builder (though no healing).

23 Riftstalker/22 Bard/21 Infiltrator - Has Shadow Assault (25s), Shadow Blitz (25s), and Power Chord (3s) as two-point builders, with Riff (60s) as an insta 5 points. Skimps on some of the defensive passives in Riftstalker, and loses two blinks (Mem Cap/Flashback and Shadow Warp). Brings 'some' of the bard toolset to play, including healing off Cadence, buffs, and motifs, but no CoR. One interrupt + PTI. Cadence available w/ healing.

27 Riftstalker/18 Nightblade/21 Infiltrator - Has Shadow Assault (25s), Shadow Blitz (25s), and Dusk Strike (10s) as two-point builders, with Ebon Fury (2m) as a fast builder outlet. Still pretty high on the mitigation side of things, with two CC breaks, Cleanse Soul, and Twilight Shelter as "oh crap" buttons. Bonus points: Fell Blades! Spam AoE like a derp for super bonus funtime combo points!

27 Riftstalker/18 Bladedancer/21 Infiltrator - Has Shadow Assault (25s), Shadow Blitz (25s), Precision Strike (10s), Flash of Steel (15s) as two-point builders. Adds mobility with a charge to go with the blinks and Sprint as a movement tool. Has two interrupts + PTI. Has a snare. Has Combat Efficiency for some additional energy management. Offers two CC breaks, Cleanse Soul, and Side Steps as "oh crap" buttons. Bonus points: uses Theft of Thought and more than 15 points in Bladedancer without using Deadly Strike, for double the trolling power.

24 Riftstalker/21 Ranger/21 Infiltrator - Has Shadow Assault (25s), Shadow Blitz (25s), Shadow Fire (20s), Splinter Shot (10s) as two-point builders. Has Trick Shot for lololol AoE spam + combo points (SYNERGY). Offers three CC breaks and Cleanse Soul as "oh crap" buttons. Has ranged finishers for interrupt + one CP w/ Opportunity, because, why not? Bonus points: No, seriously. Ranger AND Theft of Thought in a PvP build. Using 2pc HK crystal. In melee spamming Trick Shot. Madness!

Anyway, I'm looking for further suggestions or input. Calling me an idiot is valid input but does not influence my decision-making process.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

I'm a fan of the NB variant. If you're not doing much damage and have a super tanky spec, you might as well leech heals off the healer while he tries to get you off him. I'd like to see some results from your trolling...errr I mean testing of that build. You get extra internet points if you make chloro/doms rage.

The fact that it requires melee range completely turns me off.
    ~Quiescent

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    The fact that it requires melee range completely turns me off.
    The fact that you'll have 5 teleports should comfort you then.

I've found that throwing in enough assassin for debilitating poison works out quite well with theft of thought to harass anyone with a blue bar.

Their MP disappears in chunks, and the poison procs would keep them drained.

Haven't actually fiddled with a sin/rs/infil spec, though. Off the top of my head it would look something like 25sin/20rs/21infil.

... might be fun to fiddle with sometime.

Ascendant

WTB more role slots so I can have a troll spec too.

Plane Walker SolitaireSurrender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    I've found that throwing in enough assassin for debilitating poison works out quite well with theft of thought to harass anyone with a blue bar.

Their MP disappears in chunks, and the poison procs would keep them drained.

Haven't actually fiddled with a sin/rs/infil spec, though. Off the top of my head it would look something like 25sin/20rs/21infil.

... might be fun to fiddle with sometime.
    Debilitating poison is a 38 point root skill though...

Would be a sick combo if you could actually combo them together in a viable build. You could use Cloudy Poison for some minor irritation if you wanted to but Debilitating is too high up the tree unfortunately.
    _____Reversecowbell | R50 Cleric___Lesscowbell | R80 Mage___Moarcowbell | R50 Rogue_____

You're not gonna kill anyone with those builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Plane Walker SolitaireSurrender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    Pretty sure the idea was to annoy rather than destroy. Sort of along the lines of many VK based builds early on.

For solo play...yeah...not that good an idea. For a good group environment it could result in a lot of raging.

(Whether or not it is the opponent or you remains to be tested)
    _____Reversecowbell | R50 Cleric___Lesscowbell | R80 Mage___Moarcowbell | R50 Rogue_____

Oh hey, I just realized something else. In the NB verson you'll also have access to Ebon Fury, giving you even faster combo point generation for burst mana draining. 2x Dusk Strike + ToT = 600 mana burned in 3 GCDs. That's 200 mana per second vs using 3x Dusk Strike + ToT for 750 mana in 4 GCDs, resulting in 187 mana per second.

Ok, I'm getting too involved in this now.
    Last edited by Ninjahax; 12-20-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Back in 1.2 I used to run ToT with marksman and blade dancer, since clerics were unable to die back then, this was a hilarious way of ****ing with them. Spam ranged CP builders, charge into range, steal mana, run off again.

(Gear)

Going 38 assassin would give you a passive mana drain on 40% of your attacks as well as stealth 3 cp building, slip away for harassment (Paralyzing strike open up, of course: Keep dat healer down!) And some fairly good CC tools, does anyone know if the mana drain on ToT can crit?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...xoz.xx0R0b0x0o

Is something I threw together real quick, there might be a better 7 point dip than riftstalker, ranger would get 5% crit 46 ap and passive 4% damage reduction...
    I place a black candle on your chest,
    the path of night is manifest.

Sempresno Level 50 P6 Rogue/Marcosias Level 45 Warrior/Diclonius Level 26 Mage/Sumona Level 23 Cleric - Banished - Dayblind

Honestly, TRION needs to allow slots to store various builds, I mean this game stands out on its variety of soul combinations. So why restrict the playerbase with only 5 slots?
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Debilitating Poison was definitely something I looked at, but I think it leaves you way too fragile and susceptible to focus fire, and the tree isn't going to give you that much else in the way of great utility. All of the assassin talents scream offence, offence, offence, and there's little to no synergy with a Theft of Thought engine.

I more or less ran through all of the trees looking for viable utility in the 20-30 point range, and Assassin and Saboteur seemed to have zero synergy options. Marksman and Ranger had some very niche ones. Bladedancer, Riftstalker, Bard and Nightblade all had viable 10+ point investment opportunities.

I'm trying to figure out if there's anything crazy from a synergy perspective that I overlooked.

Edit: As for the role slots, my guild fell apart, so I can ditch my PvE roles. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    You're good at this.
    Last edited by Kyera; 12-20-2011 at 03:46 PM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Ran a Library w/ the NB build. Was pretty effective at tearing through cleric and some mage mana bars. Others, not so much. Didn't even come close to dying once, though -- it's got 'turtle' all over it. The warfront was healer/caster heavy though, so I don't think the build had a major effect on how it played out (I would have been better off playing 51 NB and killing everything my team couldn't).

I'm interested in seeing how it plays out in like a 10v10 situation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast