+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best Ranged Specs

Default Best Ranged Specs

So there's been a lot posted about different ranged specs, but there hasn't been a thread devoted to it (to my knowlege). I'm interested in what others have found. Here are some I've played around with.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...qdAudR.V0x0h.M

Played with this one last night - it's slightly better then the other MM I've been playing with. I'm not sure yet if it's the best, it's missing the hp buff from RS which I like a lot.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...tRqdAudR.VMR.V

This is the one I've been using for a while. Pretty easy rotation, same as above. I parse 3600 Sic and 2800 Murdantex with it (no relic). AoE slightly higher then other MM builds, plus a hp buff.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...bV.VMssuekskVz

I use this ranger build when I want to put up lethal poison in aoe, or at range. It's not bad... tried it on Akylios last night, issue is the pet eats a lot of heals. It will also die to center breaths unless you recall it. I chose to take max exposure and piercing shot for the debuff, you can also take 4 RS for the ap/hp buff instead. Still playing with what's more dps.

Best part about the build - no master archer or pedestal buff. Loses no dps while target switching or moving around.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...A0dR.VMRf0Ikso

MM with pet - using the ranger crystal. Ranger-Assn is very energy starved, and controlled fire takes care of it. You have to weave in headshot for the damage buff, it's OK. Same issue as the other ranger build with the pet soaking up heals. No master archer so better at switches then 51mm, but pet is fragile.

So these are the ones I've tried out, anyone else found something I'm missing? Any other good builds out there?
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Soulwalker

51MM / 15 RNG / 0 RS
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MfNp.EGtRqdAudR.Vrsb

This is close to the 2nd one you linked, but getting Bestial Fury in ranger is what I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    So there's been a lot posted about different ranged specs, but there hasn't been a thread devoted to it (to my knowlege). I'm interested in what others have found. Here are some I've played around with.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...qdAudR.V0x0h.M

Played with this one last night - it's slightly better then the other MM I've been playing with. I'm not sure yet if it's the best, it's missing the hp buff from RS which I like a lot.
    Just tested this one out a bit, and on the dummy it is still putting up slightly less than 15 rng with the greater, but i am pretty impressed, especially since my water resist core doesn't have the ranger greater in it, so i never run MM on Akylios. I think im going to start running this build instead of 15 rng, since i rarely use MM, and its noticeably easier to play.

Also i noticed that without Shadowfire in the rotation this build is more energy starved than 15 rng is, so i suspect it picks up some nice DPS in a raid environment.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Telaran

Why do you only offer numbers on one build? Makes it hard to objectively compare your offerings.

Also your fourth link is to 38/28 MM/Rng, which does have Master Archer. What did you mean to show?
    edit: nvm, you obviously meant Silver-Tipped. derp.
    Last edited by Eilidh; 12-13-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyle View Post
    Just tested this one out a bit, and on the dummy it is still putting up slightly less than 15 rng with the greater, but i am pretty impressed, especially since my water resist core doesn't have the ranger greater in it, so i never run MM on Akylios. I think im going to start running this build instead of 15 rng, since i rarely use MM, and its noticeably easier to play.

Also i noticed that without Shadowfire in the rotation this build is more energy starved than 15 rng is, so i suspect it picks up some nice DPS in a raid environment.
    Wouldnt the 51mm 13nb 2rs suffer on aoe damage? since the 15% only applies to combo point builders and finishers, and fanout/lightning fury is not either of those. You lose ~14% aoe damage(shadowfire buff), technically more if you had the ranger greater.
    (_(_)_) -Gambiit- (_(_)_)
    always watching

Quote Originally Posted by Knightcrawler View Post
    Wouldnt the 51mm 13nb 2rs suffer on aoe damage? since the 15% only applies to combo point builders and finishers, and fanout/lightning fury is not either of those. You lose ~14% aoe damage(shadowfire buff), technically more if you had the ranger greater.
    That's probably true, but i have just given up on AoE dps. Especially on Akylios, the warriors take care of P1 and P2, and its just not even worth caring what your numbers are in those phases as a rogue. It's just depressing. The best spec for pretending you are useful in P1 and 2 IMO is actually 49 NB. Unless i am being tasked with stingers/interrupts i usually run NB.
    Last edited by Gyle; 12-13-2011 at 09:46 AM.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

That's probably true, but i have just given up on AoE dps. Especially on Akylios, the warriors take care of P1 and P2, and its just not even worth caring what your numbers are in those phases as a rogue. It's just depressing. The best spec for pretending you are useful in P1 and 2 IMO is actually 49 NB. Unless i am being tasked with stingers/interrupts i usually run NB.
    So true
    (_(_)_) -Gambiit- (_(_)_)
    always watching

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson15 View Post
    51MM / 15 RNG / 0 RS
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MfNp.EGtRqdAudR.Vrsb

This is close to the 2nd one you linked, but getting Bestial Fury in ranger is what I prefer.
    I don't like the 51mm-15rng-0rs build. I tested 51mm-15rng v 51mm-10rng-5rs and the latter does more dps when you get enough ap. I only tried the nb variant in one encounter so far, but on the dummy it's slightly better then 10rng-5rs, have yet to try it out on more then Akylios.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightcrawler View Post
    Yea, it would. Comparing it to the 51mm-10rng-5rs build, that one has better aoe. However, usually I don't bother aoeing with MM. Even on Akylios I single target dps the entire time, better to push the phases then aoe the trash which will drop anyways.

In encounters where you are aoeing, I play ranger.

Ranger does significantly better in P1-P2, the only issue is P3+ where breaths can kill the pet. If the pets didn't eat healing there'd be no reason to play MM.

I made a macro with shadow fire, piercing and trick shot and then spam finishers. It usually only takes 2 combo point builders to hit 5 combo points for a head shot.

Even on stingers, I leave my pet on Jonauru and found I did more dps on stingers with ranger. MM takes a whlie to build up your damage with silver tipped, and master archer kills your dps when you move. I'm on stinger duty and run into orbs when possible, so I'm always running around.

Where MM is good is the speed plus range. Sometimes with Ranger without the 35m range you can't reach across a breath to attack stingers. With MM you usually can.

So has no one tried any other builds besides 51mm-15rng? I know there's at least one person who mentioned using nb. In my opinion 51mm-15rng is bad, it's not mobile and has a crap rotation. Comparing myself to other rogues who use it, I don't think they've ever done more dps in a ST encounter like Murd and Sic.
    Last edited by Mayi; 12-13-2011 at 04:26 PM.

I've been meaning to test alot of these for awhile. Mayi wanna get on pts tonight after raids?

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    I've been meaning to test alot of these for awhile. Mayi wanna get on pts tonight after raids?
    I'm not raiding tonight, but I'll come on PTS after hockey. Maybe around 10:30EST.

Mayi, whats your unbuffed attack power?

The reason im asking, is both for the stated problem re aoe (+14%/19% from ranger) and the 130ap you loose from ranger essence and instincs.

Im not doing the exact math, but it will be ~860 unbuffed attack power before you even begin to break even with the riftstalker benefit.

From there, it becomes a matter of evaluating what you gain vs what you loose.
    At full buffs ranger delivers +19% modifier, (and +5% crit which does not contribute to the soft cap), where NB equates to +21% modifier (+6% aoe) if im reading that correctly.

Given that from what i understand, both NB and ranger bonuses are additive, but diddnt headshots buff effect Electrified Munitions? Does Fire and Death Attunement effect EM?

I would absolutely love for NB to be usable above ranger but at the moment im just not seeing it in the numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by Warhaz View Post

The reason im asking, is both for the stated problem re aoe (+14%/19% from ranger) and the 130ap you loose from ranger essence and instincs.

Im not doing the exact math, but it will be ~860 unbuffed attack power before you even begin to break even with the riftstalker benefit.

At full buffs ranger delivers +19% modifier, (and +5% crit which does not contribute to the soft cap), where NB equates to +21% modifier (+6% aoe) if im reading that correctly.

Given that from what i understand, both NB and ranger bonuses are additive, but diddnt headshots buff effect Electrified Munitions? Does Fire and Death Attunement effect EM?

I would absolutely love for NB to be usable above ranger but at the moment im just not seeing it in the numbers...
    I'm at 901ap with the nb variant. Fire and death attunement increases all damage - even autoattacks. Plus, don't forget that the ranger greater 100ap doesn't get boosted with increased fire power.

I'm not much of a theorycrafter though.. I start with theory but then apply it to in game experience. There are just too many variables to compare builds by pure theory. That plus, what's best on the dummy is usually never what's best in game.

Using shadowfire I've always found is bad - it's a long cast time so you can only apply it in certain situations. When you go all instants, you can litterally keep on the same rotation no matter what's going on around you. I keep the exact same rotation going even when I'm moving or dodging mechanics. Simplifying things can lead to more dps.

I also don't like tracking the headshot buff. Pain in the butt, if you pair it with strafe then you're applying it too early.

Like I said, theorycraft all your want - I'm talking in game experience - 51mm-15rng just doesn't compete.

I'd like to try 51mm-10rng-5nb too for comparison... going to test that tonight.
    Last edited by Mayi; 12-13-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Just tried the NB variant and the RS variant. Both come pretty close to the 51m 15 rng.
    However I can't test it properly without taking out the shadowfire sourcestone and replacing it with something else ( Any ideas) ?
    So i'll keep an eye on this thread to see what others can come up with.
    I'm just trying to get rid of shadowfire from my rotation without losing dps.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Like I said, theorycraft all your want - I'm talking in game experience - 51mm-15rng just doesn't compete.
    To me it sounds like you are just not playing it right. Keeping up shadow fire even with cast time is not that difficult and head shot does the exact same damage as hasted shot so it doesn't matter when it's used in the time frame when strafe is available but head shot buff has not dropped yet. All the top parses with MM also disagree with you.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Warhaz View Post

15 Ranger actually gets you +23% damage, don't forget Killing Focus.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast