+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gyle

Thread: Bard

Default Bard

TY trion for giving us something we did not ask for (a version of spotters), instead of something that might make some better use of bards. (although, the change to our buffs was nice.:

*LONGER RANGE!

why is our cadence such a crappy range? 1/2 between melee and actual ranged casters.. in pvp this means sometimes we can out range some aoe and cleaves..but usually not, forcing us to stack on melee who moves often on alot of fights making cadence not possible..

in pvp it means warriors can facerape as it is within the limits of ALL of the harge in type abilities, other actuall ranged classes can out range us= us again not being able to use cadence.

so as it stands.. bards dont really offer much healing (unless u count the warfronts where clerics refuse to heal and waste our time thinking they can all dps) nor do they do alot of dmg at all to be a threat.. so why not give us a 30m, 35, or even 40 meter range?, this may help us negotiate the "kill the squishy bard in warfronts since he has to play in the middle" effectively while remaining nothing more than a small nuisance.

* Cleanse

with all the non healing we do, spenind constant moments setting up combos to set of buffs/debuffs why not something helpfull like a cleanse, this may reduce the amount of beer I drink while barding or even keep some of us awake?

* Battle Ressurection

so other support roles get to do 1-1.5k dmg while also healing near 800-1k hps all the while dispelling/cleansing/purging/debuffing/buffing..... it apparent the pvp community would qq if bards could truly heal and dps harder at the same time (kinda like beta bard pre release) but in leu of that how about another raid utiliy function.. i mean, wtf else we gonna do with all our time?

* LOSE THE STUPID PET MOTIF

this was absentminded and completly not usefull at all, no other classes have such a HUGE waste of talent tree space.

replace with cleansing/battle rez, or some sort of Harmonics (the ability to work together and be better for it.. tons of great bard ideas out there (would mind some slightly different tunes also.. barding is starting to become as annoying as those stupid vuvuzila horns or w/e.... where are the drums? flute? different music styles? why cant defiants play electric guitars with all this tech? coud i do a pied piper bit and summon rats to attack my foes? or perhaps a motiff of Harmoney, that prevents cc effects on the raid members (only poly/mindcrontroll type stuff, not slows or getting sapped). Maybe an ability call "The Music Made me do it!" where we get to mind controll and opponent.

either way it still needs some work to make it more than required squishy buffbot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirimon View Post
    why not something helpfull like a cleanse, this may reduce the amount of beer I drink while barding
    lol

Agreed though, Bards really need a longer range, a cleanse, and a Brez.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

or you could learn how to bard effectively. the range on cadence is mostly a pvp issue. if you are having issues in pve then you need to bind your power chord, or actually pay attention and learn how to move. btw, if you are relying on cadence for most of your healing you are doing it very wrong.

as to your complaint about cleanse, i dont really think we need it. we are not a main healer, and we shouldnt be able to fill that role. a battle rez falls into the same vein. why stormcaller gets one as a utility spell i really dont understand.

why are people still complaining about random fluff that doesnt replace anything. its a free ability. its not like when they were building the soul they said "well, we can put in this pet motif, or give them a battle rez! i wonder which more players will want!"

overall calling bard squishy is entirely a you problem. rs/bard is very resilient in pvp. in pve if you are dieing them you should actually stop drinking your beer and pay attention.
    "I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won."

As I understood, the pet motif was originally a charm that was very quickly nerfed.

I do agree it should be replaced with a Brez someplace in the 34-40 area of the root.

Cleansing, no.

Range, no (but it should gain the 5 yard boost in MM).
    FT:4/4 EE:5/5 DQ:4/4

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Mirimon View Post
    * Battle Ressurection

so other support roles get to do 1-1.5k dmg while also healing near 800-1k hps all the while dispelling/cleansing/purging/debuffing/buffing.....
    Just because the amount of damage the motifs, resonance, joy, fanfares, cowardice, distress, and fervor add doesn't show up on the meter doesn't mean they're not there.

* LOSE THE STUPID PET MOTIF

this was absentminded and completly not usefull at all, no other classes have such a HUGE waste of talent tree space.
    All of the track skills are equally as useless.
    Greybriar Guardian Bard

Ahmen.......I'd like a rework on bard please.
    Last edited by Bloodangel90; 12-11-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: typo

I've posted most of the OP's points already.

The other one I would like to add is the ability to use Cadence on the move, and as someone else posted that the CP's should build on the rogue as per a warrior.

I agree in PvE its not much of an issue, but PvP is a pain in the *** as a bard. Standing in front of the ranged with a large "Shoot me Now" sign on your chest, or hang back and hope someone is stupid enough to put a pet in range of you. If you are lucky enough to build CP's up on a range any decent player will take two steps back and go out of range of your finisher - worst still if you've popped Virtuoso...

Blink-Bard is something I am still working on, but I can see how that will be different playstyle in PvP. But, and I know this is not a great arguement, but most blink-bards seem to rely on hand 2 hand to build combos and I never envisaged a bard as being a melee class...
    Last edited by Gethzerion; 12-12-2011 at 04:45 AM.

Plane Walker SolitaireSurrender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    Just because the amount of damage the motifs, resonance, joy, fanfares, cowardice, distress, and fervor add doesn't show up on the meter doesn't mean they're not there.

All of the track skills are equally as useless.
    If you are having to use Distress and Cowardess in PVE, you really need to have a chat with your Archon. Also, given the Cookie Cutter Reaver/Warlord tank spec, Jepordy is constantly overwritten unless you ask them to take spotters out of their rotation.

In PVP, the three debuffs are somewhat handy if you have actual healing Clerics and Mages. Otherwise spamming Restoration is probably going to take priority.

And No, not even close to as bad as the tracking skills. Those at least aid you in some way. The "Pet" motif is useless. Granted, tracking skills do not have many uses but one use trumps zero.
    _____Reversecowbell | R50 Cleric___Lesscowbell | R80 Mage___Moarcowbell | R50 Rogue_____

Champion

Bard needs a lot of changes, for most PvE content they are not needed, even when they are (20 man raid) they are second best to Archon, plus it is pretty dull to play in PvE.

In PvP it is only much use in certain WF (and only then if they have enough people in them), plus it has big shortcomings in PvP, the combination of 20m range, the inabilty to cast cadence on the move, the fact to heal (for most of its healing output) it has to build combo points.

This generally forces people to go bard/rs to get some level of toughness so you get get within 20m of the ranged zergfest without being flattened instantly. However whilst you are "tough" in some ways, the rs/bard is actually pretty weak against anyone around your level or higher who decides to gun for you, as you have the DPS of a cardbox box, all your "toughness" & feeble single target healing does is slowdown your demise (but not to the extent of someone really tough like certain cleric builds) and you are very reliant on other people in your team to kill the guy after you.

Oh yeah, fanfares, a 3 second cast time is ridiculous in PvP, say you're attemptig to the hold the bridge in Port Scion, when you actually need the edge from fanfares (i.e - if your team is struggling or it is fairly tight) most of the time you can't cast them, because losing healing for 9 seconds to cast fanfares is not usually an option.

Bards need much more flexabilty so they are of a use more of the time:

- They need skills that are not either inferior or constantly overwritten by other souls like Archon, plus a couple of single target skills so they are less useless in many situations. Some suggestions for skills - group absorb shield, single target absorb shield (so they can actual be of use when someone is being focused in PvP + help the tank in PvE), a battle rez, some sort of damage transfer skill so a bard can take 50% of another of another players incoming damage for 10 seconds, a skill that ( for 45 secs?) gives the group / those in range some percentage chance of resisting when someone tries to remove a buff from them.

- They either need more range or at least a skill they can put points into to give them more range.

- Coda of restoration should heal 10 not 5 people.

- Make fanfares a 1 / 1.5 sec cast.
    Last edited by Flimble; 12-12-2011 at 06:23 AM.

I had a pretty good rewrite in a thread that didn't change a lot of the bard's functionality while adding a bit more utility and giving the PvP bard some more oomph and mobility. I might try to dig it up after my exam for discussion.

Let's face it, Cadence healing is worthless in PvP for anything but triggering trinket procs, and you have to stand in a kill zone like a derp while doing it. Bring back beta bard!
    Last edited by Kyera; 12-12-2011 at 06:58 AM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Koe

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaireSurrender View Post
    If you are having to use Distress and Cowardess in PVE, you really need to have a chat with your Archon. Also, given the Cookie Cutter Reaver/Warlord tank spec, Jepordy is constantly overwritten unless you ask them to take spotters out of their rotation.

In PVP, the three debuffs are somewhat handy if you have actual healing Clerics and Mages. Otherwise spamming Restoration is probably going to take priority.

And No, not even close to as bad as the tracking skills. Those at least aid you in some way. The "Pet" motif is useless. Granted, tracking skills do not have many uses but one use trumps zero.
    If you aren't using them in PvE, you really should not be barding.

Any trash pack, any boss with adds, any time you'll be hitting 2 or more targets; YOU should be keeping it up.

Any warrior tank that overwrites Jeopardy is bad.
    Last edited by Koe; 12-12-2011 at 08:49 AM.
    Free music! It's legal!
    DISCLAIMER: Some songs may have been taken down.

+ Reply to Thread