+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Whats really the best ranged dps spec ????

Soulwalker

Default Whats really the best ranged dps spec ????

I am a level 50 rogue and i have all of my T3/Raid gear, my hit is at 318 , and i have my MM synergy crystal.I have been flopping around testing builds. I was playing 51mm/8nb/7rng then 51 mm/15rng ( including the ranger greater) along with a few others just for testing purposes, and i just cant find a good build to get my max dps and its starting to get very frustrating. I have discussed macros,rotations, stats ,gear with the other rogues in my guild and while i can run the same thing as them with same/upgraded gear i am at a loss why i cant pull the same dps. So if i can get some suggestions and help on an awesome ranged max dps build i would be greatly appreeciate it

RIFT Guide Writer

Compare the parses between you and the people you are competing with. Usually that gives a very clear indication why you are not doing the same dps. Maybe it's you and not your build. It could be bad buff management of bestial fury or shadow fire, could be bad energy management resulting in lower amount of abilities used or something else. Just compare the dps breakdown of different abilities and how hard they hit and how often and you will get your answer.

51 Marksman 15 Ranger is the best ranged dps
    ~Quiescent

Great question and wish I knew the best build. Speaking for myself a combination of ranger, mm, maybe a sin. This may seem weird to some but put most of you points into MM, 2nd Ranger, a just a few into sin. Thats the build I'm using now. A lot of ppl use the mm/sin combo for the baneful touch buff and to be somewhat ranged along with melee attacks. I think thats good but I can never get into it personally.

Honestly I experiment with it on a daily basis lol
    “Why should I not hate mine enemies―if I "love" them does that not place me at their mercy?”
    ― Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

Soulwalker

I have done very close detailed comparisons even parses with my fellow guildies and we have the same buffs up, and use the same macros. It very well could be me and something i am doing wrong and the chances of that are very high i am not afraid to admit it. Based on the discussions we have had about rotations and buffs nothing seems to be different. Thank you for the responses so far

There are too many unknowns in your question.

If you are talking straight out dps, nothing else factored in, then for ranged it's 15ran for sure, ESP with the greater.

As mentioned, how you handle your buffs is one thing. Shadow fire, quick reload, bestial fury, improved quick shot etc.

Oh and barbed shot foe the few mobs that move around.

Another is movement. Don't forget standing still gives you more dps. If you are constantly fidgeting, you may be doing it wrong.

And lastly, roles. For instance, I'm main interrupt and dps for dollin, and I have to stop dps, cancel casts etc to interrupt and allow king to catch up (we tend to have moments where one gets a little too far ahead of the other and needs to slow swap or stop) this results in significantly less dps than someone who, say, has 100% uptime on king.

Good luck!
    60Rog/PR64 - Cleared - FT | EE
    1-button TOTALLY AFK Rogue and Cheerleader for Blitz!

Telaran

In my opinion it's 51MM/14Rng/1Rp. With the Ranger Greater and the Marksman/ even better the Ranger Synergy Crystal.. But in some fights you'll deal even more damage with melee specs.. Like Gaurath oder Murdantix for example.

Shadowlander

i really like 51mm 10nb 5rs because of the same dps output as 51mm 14rn 1rs just without the shadow fire and headshot buff that has to be reset all the time

51mm 10nb 5rs is best imo.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrmadness View Post
    i really like 51mm 10nb 5rs because of the same dps output as 51mm 14rn 1rs just without the shadow fire and headshot buff that has to be reset all the time

51mm 10nb 5rs is best imo.
    This is not even remotely accurate. Ranger destroys NB as a subspec. Assassin would be 2nd.

best ranged spec i have seen so far is 51 MM/ 14 Ranger/ 1 RS. I have tested and tested and i can't get anything to beat it. Never tried the NB subspec, i may test it out, but my gut tells me it wont even be close.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

I completely switched to melee.
    MM deals 8-10% less DPS than ***-stalker ST, which is too much imo.

If you still want range 51rng/14rng/1rs for highest ST and AoE, 51/15/0 if you want shadow shift or adh.bomb depending on the situation.

I even use 46sab/20sin/0mm from time to time when killing trash, because it's "only" 20% behind MM and 32second AoE silence can be quite handy.
    Last edited by Coffande; 12-09-2011 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffande View Post
    I completely switched to melee.
    MM deals 8-10% less DPS than ***-stalker ST, which is too much imo.

If you still want range 51rng/14rng/1rs for highest ST and AoE, 51/15/0 if you want shadow shift or adh.bomb depending on the situation.

I even use 46sab/20sin/0mm from time to time when killing trash, because it's "only" 20% behind MM and 32second AoE silence can be quite handy.
    WAIT WHAT? I hope u mean silence on a 30 sec cd right?

Quote Originally Posted by meglee View Post
    I have done very close detailed comparisons even parses with my fellow guildies and we have the same buffs up, and use the same macros. It very well could be me and something i am doing wrong and the chances of that are very high i am not afraid to admit it. Based on the discussions we have had about rotations and buffs nothing seems to be different. Thank you for the responses so far
    I'll make a small comment and i don't mean to be funny... are all your skills trained up? When i started using sabo i made a post here cause i could only parse like 700 on the dummy. Then Hoko (i think) pointed out after I posted a parse that he could hit harder naked... hehehe then i realised my skills weren't trained up for sabo...
    Malumvomica <The Fabled> Rogue DPS
    DH 4/4 GP 4/4 GSB 5/5 ROS Conq HK 4/11 RoTP 4/4

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    This is not even remotely accurate. Ranger destroys NB as a subspec. Assassin would be 2nd.
    Depends on your stats, if you have the greater, if you have 4pc hk set or not.. there is a lot to factor in for such a broad statement.

Assasin build is best for 1 and only 1 rogue in a raid to use.

Nightblade/rs variant works if you don't have the greater only the full ap lessers, the break point for the difference is 830ap base.

The ranger build is the best for everyone else AT THE MOMENT, but there will become a point in the coming months where it won't scale as well with the climbing AP of the class.

The DPS difference in my opinon will come when you sit at 900~1000ap base, that 15% extra ap ontop and 15% on every skill except aoe will **** totally, it will also make your aoe much stronger from off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Igneel View Post
    WAIT WHAT? I hope u mean silence on a 30 sec cd right?
    Shoking Gas Bomb.
    8sec Silence.

Carpet Bombing.
    Resets CD off all bombs and you can throw the next 3 bombs without triggering the Cooldown.

Shoking Gas Bomb -> Carpet Bombing -> Wait 8sec -> Shoking Gas Bomb -> Wait 8sec -> Shoking Gas Bomb -> Wait 8sec -> Shoking Gas Bom.

And now u just silenced all enemies within the AoE for 32 seconds.
    But it's not game breaking or anything. In PvP it doesn't work cuz of DR and in PvE it's not that important to silence stuff. But sometimes it's quite usefull.
    Last edited by Coffande; 12-09-2011 at 04:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast