+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New player would love to play Bard , but ...

Telaran

Default New player would love to play Bard , but ...

Where are all the Bards ? Does'nt seem to be many around , looked in the stickies and very thin on the ground and what there is they are 1.5 . I also googled it but again a lack of information .

Ideally would like some info on how best to play them , any links would be cool , or just any info at all .

Any builds would be outstanding , I don't mind 51 builds , but would also like a support build , I would like to play both and get a feel for them . I want to jump into some 5 mans and see what I can do , made it to lvl 23 so far , but right now would like to switch to Bard .

Any info would be great .

Thanks

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nodders View Post
    I want to jump into some 5 mans and see what I can do , made it to lvl 23 so far , but right now would like to switch to Bard .

Thanks
    Dude, delete your toon now and make a Mage. I promise you, you will thank me in the day it takes to hit 23 again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyle View Post
    A rogue can top the parse on every boss in HK if they use the right spec, and it's been that way for months.

Shadowlander

Where are all the Bards ? Does'nt seem to be many around , looked in the stickies and very thin on the ground and what there is they are 1.5 . I also googled it but again a lack of information .

Ideally would like some info on how best to play them , any links would be cool , or just any info at all .

Any builds would be outstanding , I don't mind 51 builds , but would also like a support build , I would like to play both and get a feel for them . I want to jump into some 5 mans and see what I can do , made it to lvl 23 so far , but right now would like to switch to Bard .

Thanks
    Bard is a support soul. That is all it does. Supports others doing damage has support healing and the 51 point verse of joy that is a must have. If you are looking to heal roll cleric or mage.

Plane Touched

I wish I had made a mage after playing a rogue for nearly a year. Take the above guy's advice.

Rift Disciple

At the moment, at the top end, bards are pretty repetitive and there is very little you can do to shine, however, if you do not necessarily plan on doing top-tier raiding, then it does not really matter, you can play whatever you want to get to 50.

For barding, you are more of a support healer/buffer, use cadence and power cord to gain combo points, and then coda of restoration (to heal), coda of fury/wrath to damage.

If you are soloing, Bard is better as a secondary soul as your damage would be lower than using an "offensive" soul as a primary, however this does not mean you can't use it, just that fights will be longer (not harder).

Thanks

Bard is an excellent 5 man build, if not the absolute speediest group maker, but if you save a wipe or two, you most certainly improve the speed of the run.

For low level dungeon barding, grab a 0 point sab soul for the aoe snare, and throw it on the ground right behind the tank's pull, it can be a group saver for inexperienced tanks (or tanks without all their tools yet).

Put as many points as you can into bard, and any secondary points into one of these: nightblade, bladedancer, marksmen, or rift stalker. Emphasize the abilities that say increase attack power, or go for deadly dance in blade dancer, or increase combo point builders in NB

build should look something like: 23 bard\8? NB\ 0 sab, or however many points there are at level 23

A bard makes pretty much all content easier for the group.
    Last edited by ShalarLight; 12-09-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

Rift Disciple

Bards are decent especially in 10 mans without an archon.

You get spotters order (Coda of Jeopardy) which adds lots of raid damage
    You can debuff the mob for 7% more magical/5% more physical damage taken.
    You get good AOE heals
    And Verse of Joy is very good

Also, motifs and fanfares

Long as you are decent and can keep these up for the majority of the fight, you are an overall benefit to the group over bringing another dps or healer.

Quote Originally Posted by ShalarLight View Post
    Bard is an excellent 5 man build, if not the absolute speediest group maker, but if you save a wipe or two, you most certainly improve the speed of the run.
    I played bard full time from level 1-50, then did all the T1s as bard with another healer.

Unless something has drastically changed from when I was doing dungeons, then you're always better off with a dps. Runspeed helps run to the next set of mobs faster, but even going battlebard is overall slower. Haven't done a T2 in months though...

To the OP - I rolled a rogue to bard, they were a lot stronger class at release. If you're interested in healing play a cleric, if you're interested in support play a mage, if you're interested in dps play a mage. Bard gets boring fast. In a 5 man going chloro-archon used to provide almost as much support as a bard, and was more dps and better healing.
    Last edited by Mayi; 12-09-2011 at 02:17 PM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Don't listen to the people who say "reroll". When I started my Mage the only reason to bring one to a raid, according to popular belief, was one for Archon and one for Chloromancer if your guild really felt like it; their DPS, while decent, just could not compare to Warriors or Rogues. Now everyone is screaming about how OP Mages are and how they wish they had rolled one. As for me, I still get to play with fire so I'm still happy. Frankly, people who roll a class to be top DPS are always going to be disapointed next patch.

Anyhow, for Barding the major thing is to keep your Motifs up. Be careful about reaplying them as the tank pulls, that'll get the enemy swarming all over you (a couple seconds into the pull is OK). The Anthem you use will depend on the others in the group. You have Fervor, which reduces the cost of abilities (if you see a little green clover in your buff bar, and are not using Anthem of Competence, tell the mages to turn of Living Energy since your version is better). There's Competence, which makes the group run faster and is another commonly used anthem. Then there's Glory, which if you have a Rogue Tank he will likely be using this himself. If your raid has an Archon he will also have this buff, and you should let him use his version (it isn't better, per se, but if he isn't using it he's less effective). Defiance is the same way as Archons go, and a lot of Clerics also have a similar ability. So really, in most groups you'll be switching between Fervor and Competence depending on if running faster is needed or if that mage is dead set on keeping Living Energy up.

Fanfares all stack now, so use 'em all

What I do in a dungeon largely depends on if there's a warrior tank, and if he's good at keeping Spotter's Order up. You can tell if you turn on Show Ability Names in the Screen Messages section of the Interface menu, if you also abbreviate it it'll show up as SO when you trigger it. Anyway, if I get a Warrior tank that's good about keeping up Spotter's then I use Codas of Distress and Cowardice, in that order (for the extra damage on Cadence, and it also helps out the Chloromancer sooner). If the tank is a non-warrior or can't keep up Spotters, I start with Coda of Jeopardy then use the other debuffers. Wrath and Fury are nice if the incoming damage is light, otherwise I tend to save combo points for Restoration or reapplying the debuff codas.

Of note, the Motifs of Regeneration and Renewal don't stack, so replace Renewal on your bar once you get Regeneration. There's some debate on which secondary souls work best, but myself I currently use Nightblade and 0 Sabateur for the AoE slow.

Happy Barding Remember to do what you love, and the lolercoaster that is game balance will not affect you much.

Soulwalker

Play a bard for the simple purposes of being able to heal yourself in the field without spending any real coin and just for the experience of acting as a support class in PVP and dungeons. If you don't like it, switch your souls out.

Loving the ability to switch roles on the fly

Sword of Telara

Standard Raid Bard: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dqiqskqz.x0x.V

Alternate build for raiding: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...iqskqz.0V0c.Vb

Best to be in melee range, but can be purely ranged as well, this build works under the philosophy that you will use non-Bard combo point builders to apply Lethal Poison, which combined with Motif of Focus means you are giving the entire raid +10% Crit, not including the increases to Crit from Resonance and the Fanfares.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Comprehensive Bard Guide:

1. Are you standing in fire?
    - Yes: Move.
    - No: You win.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 12-12-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Hi Nodders,

I Bard for Maximation. Here is some information if you wish to get into raiding. I alternate between two specs.

51 Bard / 10 Marksman / 5 Riftstalker
    This is a ranged spec and is useable in any encounter. This is the spec I recommend most often. Its easy to play and allows for alot of movement during a fight. You will spam cadence until someone needs healing then use Coda of Restoration.

51 Bard / 13 Bladedancer / 2 Riftstalker

This is a melee bard. It is more interesting to play than the ranged spec above and has more utility. And in fights like Sicaron, I have seen very good results. You also get a ranged interrupt. Your rotation with this spec is to use deadly dance then three (fully cast) cadences, using up all of your deadly dances charges.

As for gear, get as much attack power as possible after hitting the crit cap of 1187. For what gear to get you can reference this spreadsheet put together by Qan and myself. Get healing and shield greater essences and trinkets. Shields are preferred, but healing is good too.

Good luck on your leveling!

He's justa tootin! Toot toot toot.
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/Daisukexdark12/sig_faylinkz_zps2d339858.png
    Frozen Tempest: 4/4 :: Endless Eclipse 5/5
    North American 1st :: Canadian 1st :: PRE NERF Perfect Crucia & Perfect Regulos
    <How to be on T.O.P.>

Quote Originally Posted by Ages View Post
    Hi Nodders,

I Bard for Maximation. Here is some information if you wish to get into raiding. I alternate between two specs.

51 Bard / 10 Marksman / 5 Riftstalker
    This is a ranged spec and is useable in any encounter. This is the spec I recommend most often. Its easy to play and allows for alot of movement during a fight. You will spam cadence until someone needs healing then use Coda of Restoration.

51 Bard / 13 Bladedancer / 2 Riftstalker

This is a melee bard. It is more interesting to play than the ranged spec above and has more utility. And in fights like Sicaron, I have seen very good results. You also get a ranged interrupt. Your rotation with this spec is to use deadly dance then three (fully cast) cadences, using up all of your deadly dances charges.

As for gear, get as much attack power as possible after hitting the crit cap of 1187. For what gear to get you can reference this spreadsheet put together by Qan and myself. Get healing and shield greater essences and trinkets. Shields are preferred, but healing is good too.

Good luck on your leveling!
    Melee bard is interesting, i find it hard to believe that you'd necessary want Deadly Dance over Ambidextrous. I find that something that is permanent to ur overall abilities over wasting combo points on a deadly strike would be way more beneficial. I pull 2.2k HPS as a bard on Sicaron due to well timed Codas over a deadly strike... might want to redo that spec. Melee barding in raid is NOT viable.
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/Daisukexdark12/sig_faylinkz_zps2d339858.png
    Frozen Tempest: 4/4 :: Endless Eclipse 5/5
    North American 1st :: Canadian 1st :: PRE NERF Perfect Crucia & Perfect Regulos
    <How to be on T.O.P.>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast