+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Memory Capture...

Default Memory Capture...

So I'm just curious as to how often people use this because I'm a bit at a lost and even questioning my tanking lately. I usually tank on my rogue, but every now and then the queue flags me as support. Now when I'm not the tank I notice that a lot of rogues don't use memory capture or use it very little for line of sight and they resort to using ranged attacks from usually the ranger tree to line of sight pull mobs.

I understand lower levels not using it because it's pretty far up there. I am curious why I see it used so little at higher levels where it's apparent they have put enough points to obtain the ability. I'm not bashing anyone and I have nothing against the tanks that don't use it as often as I think they should, but I'm curious as to why this (in my opinion amazing ability) is so under used.

The only thing I can think of is that it comes from the habit of not having the ability for a good while and when you get something that uses 2 spells to work well instead of one it's a bit awkward to be thrown into. Do you think that if this is the case perhaps a rogue specific quest teaching people how to use this ability would help to increase its usage or is it just a matter of play style preference?

"Creation is a paradox. It hatches from its opposite."—Olka, Mistmeadow witch
    CGhub Portfolio | My Sketchbook | RIFT related sketches and art | Rift Gear and wardrobe concept sketches

Rift Disciple

I love. I love it even more in Whitefall Steppes PVP. I'll toss a memory capture somewhere on my side of the middle, go get the flag, and leapfrog through all the people that insist on fighting in the middle of the map with that, the targeted blinks then the two non targeted blinks.

Everyone is then like WTF BBQ? when we have a flag capture right after joining.

Quote Originally Posted by cokronk View Post
    I love. I love it even more in Whitefall Steppes PVP. I'll toss a memory capture somewhere on my side of the middle, go get the flag, and leapfrog through all the people that insist on fighting in the middle of the map with that, the targeted blinks then the two non targeted blinks.

Everyone is then like WTF BBQ? when we have a flag capture right after joining.
    Yeah, except Flashback now drops the flag...

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahax View Post
    Yeah, except Flashback now drops the flag...
    ^ This. It's been this way for months.

They're saying "wtf" because they want to know why you dropped the flag and just kept going.

A good Riftstalker will utilize memory capture when it is beneficial.
    Kryptyx - Guildless ;( - Raidcruit me!
    Riftstalker BIS Spreadsheet

Only use it on Akylios and very few trash pulls in HK. It had its uses in GSB and RoS.

I honestly don't use it in dungeons because it sometimes confuses people and is therefore not always optimal. Wars and Clerics don't LoS pull much, so it throws people off to use Memory capture in such a way. It's still useful on certain boss mechanics though.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbrownie View Post
    ^ This. It's been this way for months.

They're saying "wtf" because they want to know why you dropped the flag and just kept going.
    now now...simma down*pat*. the statement could just be a flashback to the days before it was changed, if not then yes you're correct and I hope that now he/she knows of this.

Anyway, I'm just thinking that it's not something that could be easily grasped for some starting out late as rifstalker tanks and or just unable to really see it's potential for certain situations. Much like Kryptyx said
    "A good Riftstalker will utilize memory capture when it is beneficial." and I'm not seeing many use it as often as I think they should. I've informed some rogues about it that I see tanking and sometimes you'll get people who brush it off and other when they try it they're "floored" by how much easier it makes tanking for them. I just want to ask really if there is perhaps a way to bring this ability more to light so it isn't neglected as much like perhaps putting in a tutorial as I suggested earlier or maybe having a guide of sorts(which I'd be happy to do), etc...

Something to just help Riftstalkers really understand their potential.

"Creation is a paradox. It hatches from its opposite."—Olka, Mistmeadow witch
    CGhub Portfolio | My Sketchbook | RIFT related sketches and art | Rift Gear and wardrobe concept sketches

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptyx View Post
    A good Riftstalker will utilize memory capture when it is beneficial.
    Which is basically... never? Okay, very rarely?

It's a cool skill for PvP, that is too high in RS to be really used in most builds for PvP. In PvE, it has very limited uses and the times it can be used, it could be easily not used and serve the same purpose.
    Snuggles - R40 Rogue : Snugglybear - R36 Mage
    <The Purge> - Seastone Server

I use Memory Capture ALL the time in HK.

the 50 range is great for pulling and splitting mobs.

Set a warp point, shadow blitz to get aggro on them all, flash back behind the wall. Let the CC occur as the mobs run past the raid thus splitting out the ones needed for CC and bringing the rest back to me.

It also makes for a great "**** i just got kicked off the ledge and i'm falling" button. Many times i've saved myself (and sometimes our raid) because i didn't go over the edge.

I drop one almost every fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorin View Post
    The more people play Rift and subscribe, the more time and money we have to continue to evolve the game....

"Cerium, glowers at you dubiously -- looks like he would wipe the floor with you!"

Quote Originally Posted by StrifeV View Post
    Which is basically... never? Okay, very rarely?

It's a cool skill for PvP, that is too high in RS to be really used in most builds for PvP. In PvE, it has very limited uses and the times it can be used, it could be easily not used and serve the same purpose.
    It has very limited use. In HK, I only use it on the Constructs and on Akylios. Aside from that, it's hardly used.
    Part of Trinity. "Come for Trunks, stay for Trunks."

Banned

I use memory capture all the time in xCC and xAP, you wait until people are really used to following you, plant it and jump off a cliff... especially the stairs over the lava in CC and port back after 3 seconds or so. See if you can get someone to follow you. Everyone gets so confused when you jump off, and I did have someone follow me right in to the lava in xCC once, it was one of the funniest things I've seen in the game. Made memory capture completely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Traciatim View Post
    I use memory capture all the time in xCC and xAP, you wait until people are really used to following you, plant it and jump off a cliff... especially the stairs over the lava in CC and port back after 3 seconds or so. See if you can get someone to follow you. Everyone gets so confused when you jump off, and I did have someone follow me right in to the lava in xCC once, it was one of the funniest things I've seen in the game. Made memory capture completely worth it.
    Rofl, I'll have to try that.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Traciatim View Post
    Nice, follow the sheep/lemming.

I always have my flashback down. If nothing else it's an easy trigger for Vortex, and it breaks control and impairment effects. I wouldn't use it in PUGs, though, as someone else mentioned because it seems to confuse people.

It's frustrating when you tell people to stand by the memory capture point and wait for you to pop back... and they follow you into the area and end up making a mess of your pull

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast